News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2011 NCAA/BigTen Football Thread  ( 69,995 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2011 NCAA/BigTen Football Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 09, 2011, 11:09:24 AM
Quote from: PANK! on November 09, 2011, 11:08:24 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 09, 2011, 10:55:41 AM
Quote from: Brownie on November 09, 2011, 10:46:16 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 09, 2011, 10:18:32 AM
Quote from: Waco Kid on November 09, 2011, 10:06:47 AM
So basically at this point Joe Paterno and his legacy are bigger than everything up to and including child molestation rape in Penn State's world. Slaky is right, evacuate the place and nuke it.

When people do certain things to kids, we shouldn't mince words.

Regular rape is OK for those who are pretty good football players, too. I mean, who's knocking on your door?

Quote"There's some tough — there's so many people gravitating to these kids. He may not have even known what he was getting into, Nicholson. They knock on the door; somebody may knock on the door; a cute girl knocks on the door. What do you do?"

"Geez. I hope — thank God they don't knock on my door because I'd refer them to a couple of other rooms," Paterno continued. "But that's too bad. You hate to see that. I really do. You like to see a kid end up his football career. He's a heck of a football player, by the way; he's a really good football player. And it's just too bad."

If nothing else, Joe should be applauded for his activism against MOVING VIOLATIONS!

QuotePaterno said he addresses safety issues with students when he sees a concern on campus.

"I must do that 10 times a year, because I think students have a disregard for safety," he said.

A cute 10-year-old knocks on the door. What do you do? What do you do?

He already said, "refer them to a couple of other rooms," meaning, I assume, wherever the SanduskyMonster is staying.

I don't think cute girls are Sandusky's type.

Exactly, it's the safest place for them.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2011, 11:27:18 AM »
What gets me is that Sandusky's proclivities seem to have been an open secret for like 15 years now.  Even before the 2002 incident in the shower, it seems there was some smoke around this guy, which would seem to indicate that further inside that world people must have had suspicions about the guy even earlier.  And yet they chose to do nothing. The thing is so Catholic Church from every angle, I honestly cannot comprehend how they thought ignoring it created the better upisde.  Fucking reckless idiots.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 09, 2011, 11:27:18 AM
What gets me is that Sandusky's proclivities seem to have been an open secret for like 15 years now.  Even before the 2002 incident in the shower, it seems there was some smoke around this guy, which would seem to indicate that further inside that world people must have had suspicions about the guy even earlier.  And yet they chose to do nothing. The thing is so Catholic Church from every angle, I honestly cannot comprehend how they thought ignoring it created the better upisde.  Fucking reckless idiots.

That said, I still think the Catholic Church scandal is worse, only slightly.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2011, 11:36:15 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 09, 2011, 11:32:25 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 09, 2011, 11:31:21 AM

That said, I still think the Catholic Church this is worse, only slightly.

Is or isn't?

I fixed it.  Yes, I believe the Church's scandal is worse.  Not only is the history and pattern of abuse far longer and more pervasive, but the fact that priests were the perpetrators made it considerably more damaging than this one.

The Pope's power to cover up that scandal is another damning factor.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 09, 2011, 11:36:15 AM

Is or isn't?

I fixed it.  Yes, I believe the Church's scandal is worse.  Not only is the history and pattern of abuse far longer and more pervasive, but the fact that priests were the perpetrators made it considerably more damaging than this one.

The Pope's power to cover up that scandal is another damaging factor.

Of course the Catholic church's scandal is worse. The one thing you can say about the Church is that there was an bottom-up push for reform and accountability and that you're beginning to see it manifested in some positive change within the way dioceses are run in the United States.

How does the fact that priests were involved make it any better or worse? That I don't understand.

What makes it worse in my eyes is that the Church is supposed to be a trusted force for good, and it has been for Centuries. If you were to tally the good and the bad the Church has done, the totality of the good would outweigh the bad. That's why the scandal is worse. People point to all the good and thus trust the Church to be an unwavering protector of the most vulnerable.

Penn State football? Sure, Paterno's done great things for the Matt Millens of the world, but why should anyone trust them?

Ah yes, that's it: 60 years of great character wiped away by this. Yes. Paterno earned tremendous trust from a lot of people. Sandusky's association with Paterno allowed him to get away with this.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2011, 12:06:22 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 09, 2011, 11:49:37 AM

Is or isn't?

I fixed it.  Yes, I believe the Church's scandal is worse.  Not only is the history and pattern of abuse far longer and more pervasive, but the fact that priests were the perpetrators made it considerably more damaging than this one.

Of course the Catholic church's scandal is worse. The one thing you can say about the Church is that there was an bottom-up push for reform and accountability and that you're beginning to see it manifested in some positive change within the way dioceses are run in the United States.

How does the fact that priests were involved make it any better or worse? That I don't understand.

What makes it worse in my eyes is that the Church is supposed to be a trusted force for good, and it has been for Centuries. If you were to tally the good and the bad the Church has done, the totality of the good would outweigh the bad. That's why the scandal is worse. People point to all the good and thus trust the Church to be an unwavering protector of the most vulnerable.

Penn State football? Sure, Paterno's done great things for the Matt Millens of the world, but why should anyone trust them?

Ah yes, that's it: 60 years of great character wiped away by this. Yes. Paterno earned tremendous trust from a lot of people. Sandusky's association with Paterno allowed him to get away with this.

That was basically my point in tying it to the priests.  You have the institutional force for good that the Church has been personified in the local priest who then turns around and abuses it in such an egregious fashion.

But this debate is largely academic; both scandals are terrible.

I just don't want to nuke the Vatican...

...yet.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2011, 12:09:30 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 09, 2011, 12:06:22 PM

Yeah... I still don't get the point of this "debate."
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2011, 12:10:34 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 09, 2011, 12:06:22 PM
Quote from: Brownie on November 09, 2011, 11:49:37 AM

Is or isn't?

That was basically my point in tying it to the priests.  You have the institutional force for good that the Church has been personified in the local priest who then turns around and abuses it in such an egregious fashion.

I just don't want to nuke the Vatican...

...yet.

Not yet. Let's see how things play out over the next five years. If nothing's changed, I'll push the button.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2011, 01:08:20 PM »
Let's try not to drag the church into this.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »
I've seen a ton about Paterno, McCreary, and the administration, in that order. Not much about Jerry "Penn State Pedobear" Sandusky himself. Has the statute run out on criminal proceedings? What's going to happen to this "alleged" shitstain of a human being?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2011, 01:45:02 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 09, 2011, 01:42:10 PM
I've seen a ton about Paterno, McCreary, and the administration, in that order. Not much about Jerry "Penn State Pedobear" Sandusky himself. Has the statute run out on criminal proceedings? What's going to happen to this "alleged" shitstain of a human being?

That's the thing, Sterling.  He was indicted on 40-some counts of child rape last Friday and the criminal complaint implicates Paterno, McQueary and friends as complicit.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 09, 2011, 01:45:02 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 09, 2011, 01:42:10 PM

That's the thing, Sterling.  He was indicted on 40-some counts of child rape last Friday and the criminal complaint implicates Paterno, McQueary and friends as complicit.

Yet all we hear about is everyone else. I hope he's convicted on every single one of them then.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »
Is there still time to get "nuked from space" approved as capital punishment?

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: November 09, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »
I don't know how anyone can focus on all these rumors and allegations when there's such a big game with Nebraska this weekend.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"