News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2011 NCAA/BigTen Football Thread  ( 69,997 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2011 NCAA/BigTen Football Thread
« Reply #255 on: November 11, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »
Quote from: Fork on November 11, 2011, 09:05:06 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 11, 2011, 08:26:23 AM
So everyone is supposed to wear blue to the game to support child abuse victims (which will be more support than they've ever received from Penn State football  in 40 years) and the school is endorsing that. Well on the Score they said the coaches are telling parents to wear white as a sign of support for Paterno. The source was TMZ so let's see how this plays out but if it's true? Holy shit.

So everyone at a Penn State game will be wearing blue and/or white? Won't they just be wearing all their usual shit?

See?  Supporting things is easy!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #256 on: November 11, 2011, 09:16:20 AM »
Quote from: CT III on November 11, 2011, 09:10:29 AM
Quote from: Fork on November 11, 2011, 09:05:06 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 11, 2011, 08:26:23 AM
So everyone is supposed to wear blue to the game to support child abuse victims (which will be more support than they've ever received from Penn State football  in 40 years) and the school is endorsing that. Well on the Score they said the coaches are telling parents to wear white as a sign of support for Paterno. The source was TMZ so let's see how this plays out but if it's true? Holy shit.

So everyone at a Penn State game will be wearing blue and/or white? Won't they just be wearing all their usual shit?

See?  Supporting things is easy!

I will be driving with my headlights on at night to support whatever needs to be supported.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: November 11, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »
Well this is disappointing. Joe Posnanski, one of my favorite sportswriters, kindasorta defending JoePa. Apparently he's been working on a JoePa book for which he was paid some fat chedd.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/11/10/the-end-of-paterno/

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: November 11, 2011, 09:38:49 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 11, 2011, 09:19:04 AM
Well this is disappointing. Joe Posnanski, one of my favorite sportswriters, kindasorta defending JoePa. Apparently he's been working on a JoePa book for which he was paid some fat chedd.

You have a sizable advance to write another book about JoePa. Then, this happens, and you are around this thing every day. Don't you call up your publisher, ask for a second advance and junk the old premise of the book and work on a new one?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: November 11, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 11, 2011, 09:38:49 AM

You have a sizable advance to write another book about JoePa. Then, this happens, and you are around this thing every day. Don't you call up your publisher, ask for a second advance and junk the old premise of the book and work on a new one?

LET THE MAN HAVE HIS DIGNITY TJ!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: November 11, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »

Posnanski can get fucked for this alone:

Quote3. We are in a top-you world where everyone is not only trying to report something faster but is also trying to report something ANGRIER. One guy wants Joe Paterno to resign, the next wants him to be fired, the next wants him to be fired this minute, the next wants him to be fired and arrested, the next wants him to be fired, arrested and jailed, on and on, until we've lost sight of who actually committed the crimes here.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: November 11, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 11, 2011, 10:57:13 AM

Posnanski can get fucked for this alone:

Quote3. We are in a top-you world where everyone is not only trying to report something faster but is also trying to report something ANGRIER. One guy wants Joe Paterno to resign, the next wants him to be fired, the next wants him to be fired this minute, the next wants him to be fired and arrested, the next wants him to be fired, arrested and jailed, on and on, until we've lost sight of who actually committed the crimes here.

I read this last night and a small part of me wanted to say, "This is a smart, thoughtful man. I should take his words to heart because he's generally very well spoken on things." While I don't have any evidence of Joe Paterno actually saying the words "Hey, Boyfucker - why don't you just keep your office on campus here and continue making money while whoring out people's children to ass-hungry deviants with ludicrous sums of money and we'll just sweep this whole shower thing under the old Nittany Lion rug, mkaaay there, Jer?" - I can point to the fact that an accused child rapist, with Paterno's awareness, hung out WITH CHILDREN on his campus and around his team for years and years and years.

Don't tell me I'm trying to win an Angrier Than You contest like this is some kind of reverse Walter Sobchak.

I'm really disappointed in his column.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: November 11, 2011, 11:03:40 AM »
Focusing on just the crime is why this society is fucking retarded. Laws are made by people. Some made many years ago.

There's a law called being a decent fucking human being. That's what's important here.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: November 11, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Not to cherry pick the Posnanski article, because I think there's unfortunately a lot of wrong in it, but this is where I might have the biggest disconnect.

In making a point about how he can't believe people who were positively affected by Paterno didn't come forward ("Shame on them", he says.)

It takes courage to stand behind someone you believe in when it's this bad outside. It takes courage to stand up for a man in peril, even if he stood up for you.

If you're going to tout courage as being an honorable and desirable trait, how can you not acknowledge the lack of "courage" (or, human fucking deceny) on Paterno's behalf?

It doesn't take a courage to defend Paterno, no matter how positive the impact he had on your life. It takes a person who is willing to overlook the enabling of most vile, horrific crimes possible and focus solely on the positive (which, presumably there is a good bit of.)

Well, guess what?
It doesn't fucking work that way.

It didn't for those kids.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: November 11, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »

Maybe Posnanski needs to think about the fact that all those people who were positively affected by joe Paterno are now reflecting on how close they all were to being the boy in the shower.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: November 11, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »
Why couldn't he have raped Curtis Enis?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: November 11, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »
QuoteBut I think the way Joe Paterno has lived his life has earned him something more than instant fury, more than immediate assumptions of the worst, more than the happy cheers of critics who have always believed that there was something phony about the man and his ideals.

So I guess we just throw out the last thirteen years of Paterno's life? Because for more than 15% of Joe's life, he lived it willfully participating in an awful and shameless cover up. That's not an insignificant amount of time. Also, as it turns out he was phony with his ideals. Paterno's right to anything earned is long gone.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: November 11, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 10, 2011, 02:35:08 PM
Guys, I didn't read the entire thread so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here that Sandusky also had adopted children (8, maybe?) and was the caregiver for foster children in the past.  This stuff at Penn State may just be the tip of the iceberg.

And so it begins...

QuoteThe earliest documented report of possible abuse at the hands of Sandusky is in 1995, when his now-legally adopted son was still a teenage foster child in his home.

The adoption file for Matt Sandusky, who had a different name at the time, contains letters of concern from his mother to children and youth officials and to a Centre County judge.

Matt's biological mother, Debra Long, testified before the grand jury.

Matt, 33, is not one of the victims in the grand jury presentment, but he did testify before the grand jury.

Sandusky's attorney, Joe Amendola, said Long is upset with Sandusky for helping her son and her allegations are not based in fact. Matt went to live with the Sandusky family after he was caught setting fire to a barn in 1995.

Children and Youth Services placed him with the Sandusky family at Jerry Sandusky's request. He knew Matt through The Second Mile.

In his book, "Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story" several pages are devoted to Matt.

"He became an instant challenge for me," Sandusky writes.

Debra Long was allowed to visit her son only one-half day per month after he went to live with the Sanduskys.

About four months after he went to live with Jerry, Matt attempted suicide with a girl who was also staying at Sandusky's house.

"The probation department has some serious concerns about the juvenile's safety and his current progress in placement with the Sandusky family," wrote Terry L. Trude, a school-based probation officer, days after the suicide attempt.

The letter, addressed to Centre County Judge David Grine, also said Long was concerned about Matt's safety and mental condition, and asked that Matt go to a different foster family.

Trude finally recommended that Matt's placement in the Sandusky house be reviewed within two months.

The night of the suicide attempt, Matt wrote a letter to the probation officer dealing with his case.

It read, in part: "I would like to be placed back with the Sanduskys. I feel that they have supported me even when I have messed up. They are a loving caring group of people. I love both my biological family and the Sandusky family."

The day Jerry Sandusky was arrested, Matt brought his kids over to Jerry's house. The mother of Matt's children almost immediately went to court to prevent future visits. A judge's order now prevents Sandusky from having unsupervised contact or overnight visits with his grandchildren.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: November 11, 2011, 03:04:22 PM »
Another thing that's peculiar about Sandusky and Paterno is this--looking at the timeline of events (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/16049259/key-dates-in-penn-state-sex-abuse-case), the infamous 1998 fiasco that ended up in pretty much nothing is closely followed by Sandusky's retirement in 1999.  In that season, and at the time of his decision, I think I remember reading or hearing that PSU was 9-0 or had just lost a pivotal game.

Shortly afterward, Paterno informed Sandusky that Sandusky would not be in line to serve as Paterno's successor at PSU.  Yada yada, Sandusky retires but is granted emeritus status at the university (I won't tell if you don't!).  The scuttlebut was that Sandusky, 55 at the time, was at the prime of his career and was sought after by several other schools for their head coaching jobs.    So he can't have the PSU job and retires?  At 55?  In his prime?  Instead, this reeks of Paterno protecting Sandusky by sheltering him under the PSU umbrella.

The dot connecting...it's fun.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: November 11, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 11, 2011, 03:04:22 PM
Another thing that's peculiar about Sandusky and Paterno is this--looking at the timeline of events (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/16049259/key-dates-in-penn-state-sex-abuse-case), the infamous 1998 fiasco that ended up in pretty much nothing is closely followed by Sandusky's retirement in 1999.  In that season, and at the time of his decision, I think I remember reading or hearing that PSU was 9-0 or had just lost a pivotal game.

Shortly afterward, Paterno informed Sandusky that Sandusky would not be in line to serve as Paterno's successor at PSU.  Yada yada, Sandusky retires but is granted emeritus status at the university (I won't tell if you don't!).  The scuttlebut was that Sandusky, 55 at the time, was at the prime of his career and was sought after by several other schools for their head coaching jobs.    So he can't have the PSU job and retires?  At 55?  In his prime?  Instead, this reeks of Paterno protecting Sandusky by sheltering him under the PSU umbrella.

The dot connecting...it's fun.

Sandusky was told he wouldn't be the next coach at Penn State in the spring of 1999, and shortly thereafter announced his retirement at the end of the 1999 season. That Penn State team was a legit national championship contender, starting 9-0 and then losing to Minnesota, Ohio State and Michigan State to end the season before pitching a shutout in San Antonio.

Here's what's interesting: Sandusky had an opportunity: at UVA. He actually had his coordinators picked out and everything when either talks collapsed a la McCaskey-McGinnis 1999, or someone called UVA and told them why Sandusky might not be such an inspired choice.