News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 112,386 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #825 on: October 21, 2014, 03:35:46 PM »
Quote from: R-V on October 21, 2014, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2014, 02:52:41 PM
Quote from: Slaky on October 21, 2014, 02:47:14 PM
Quote from: Fork on October 21, 2014, 02:28:22 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on October 21, 2014, 02:21:40 PM
Quote from: R-V on October 21, 2014, 11:00:58 AM
Quote from: Slaky on October 21, 2014, 10:46:16 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2014, 10:42:13 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 21, 2014, 10:31:30 AM
He's not repped by Scott Boras. He already signed under slot. Appears they aren't needing to play games with his service time like they have to with Bryant.  Bryant's timeline was artificially slowed.

I think Theo wants to maximize everyone's service time, regardless of who they're repped by.

I guess Schwarber does have the benefit of starting earlier than Bryant did, so he has a few hundred extra at-bats under his belt. I guess that makes it a bit more likely, but I still would be a little surprised.

The one thing that would really accelerate Schwarber's timeline would be showing real improvement defensively as a catcher. If the FO decides he's good enough I think they'd call him up right away. He's probably capable right now of at least equalling Castillo's offensive output.

Actually I think Schwarber being godawful at catcher is probably the scenario that gets him to Wrigley quickest. They try him there for a month, he gets hit in the nuts multiple times because he's unable to catch a cutter, they throw him in left field, he hits the shit out of the ball, and he's up here midsummer.

If he shows signs of being a good catcher I think they keep him in the minors at least through this season to let him get as comfortable as possible there. I worry about him being passable defensively at catcher in the minors, only to come up here and give up 40 stolen bases in a week, and then shit the bed at the plate because he's worried about Ned Yost pantsing him in the next half inning.

I really don't care to see him play catcher at all if he's really, truly Christ Fucking Brian, the short. If that's a fallback position in case he isn't quite who they think he is, then fine.

I think getting another lefty boomstick in the lineup is the first priority. If everyone develops to their potential, carrying Castillo's bat isn't that big a deal.

Except Castillo isn't that good defensively.

No?

I'm guessing Slaky is referring to pitch framing, which doesn't fall under the traditional definition of catcher defense (blocking pitches, throwing out runners), and the measurement of which is still tough to rely on.

I was going to say I thought Castillo acquitted himself well defensively.  Seemed he did a good job of handling the staff, did a decent job of throwing out baserunners.  I'm too lazy and/or dispassionate to look up his cERA or CS%, but I'd be willing to bet he didn't fare much worse than most NL catchers in that regard.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #826 on: October 21, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2014, 03:35:46 PM
He's not repped by Scott Boras. He already signed under slot. Appears they aren't needing to play games with his service time like they have to with Bryant.  Bryant's timeline was artificially slowed.

I think Theo wants to maximize everyone's service time, regardless of who they're repped by.

I guess Schwarber does have the benefit of starting earlier than Bryant did, so he has a few hundred extra at-bats under his belt. I guess that makes it a bit more likely, but I still would be a little surprised.

The one thing that would really accelerate Schwarber's timeline would be showing real improvement defensively as a catcher. If the FO decides he's good enough I think they'd call him up right away. He's probably capable right now of at least equalling Castillo's offensive output.

Actually I think Schwarber being godawful at catcher is probably the scenario that gets him to Wrigley quickest. They try him there for a month, he gets hit in the nuts multiple times because he's unable to catch a cutter, they throw him in left field, he hits the shit out of the ball, and he's up here midsummer.

If he shows signs of being a good catcher I think they keep him in the minors at least through this season to let him get as comfortable as possible there. I worry about him being passable defensively at catcher in the minors, only to come up here and give up 40 stolen bases in a week, and then shit the bed at the plate because he's worried about Ned Yost pantsing him in the next half inning.

I really don't care to see him play catcher at all if he's really, truly Christ Fucking Brian, the short. If that's a fallback position in case he isn't quite who they think he is, then fine.

I think getting another lefty boomstick in the lineup is the first priority. If everyone develops to their potential, carrying Castillo's bat isn't that big a deal.

No?

I'm guessing Slaky is referring to pitch framing, which doesn't fall under the traditional definition of catcher defense (blocking pitches, throwing out runners), and the measurement of which is still tough to rely on.

I was going to say I thought Castillo acquitted himself well defensively.  Seemed he did a good job of handling the staff, did a decent job of throwing out baserunners.  I'm too lazy and/or dispassionate to look up his cERA or CS%, but I'd be willing to bet he didn't fare much worse than most NL catchers in that regard.

I was really disappointed to read that from Slaky today. He may be right, I don't know. It just kind of bummed me out though is all.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #827 on: October 21, 2014, 05:50:14 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 21, 2014, 04:24:35 PM
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2014, 03:35:46 PM

No?

I was really disappointed to read that from Slaky today. He may be right, I don't know. It just kind of bummed me out though is all.

RV is right. His framing is bad. The other stuff is fine. He won't fuck the Cubs over. But you could find a better defender maybe if he's just going to be the kind of hitter he is - which I think is pretty well established as a guy who won't hit higher than 7th in any decent lineup.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #828 on: October 22, 2014, 11:20:28 AM »

The recent obsession with pitch framing metrics is bizarre. I refuse to believe any of it is reliable and I refuse to be swayed otherwise.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #829 on: October 22, 2014, 11:31:59 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 22, 2014, 11:20:28 AM

The recent obsession with pitch framing metrics is bizarre. I refuse to believe any of it is reliable and I refuse to be swayed otherwise.

Ok well either way - do you think Castillo is a good catcher, defensively? I mean he's fine. I think they can do better.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #830 on: October 22, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 22, 2014, 11:31:59 AM

Ok well either way - do you think Castillo is a good catcher, defensively? I mean he's fine. I think they can do better.

I like his on-field postgame interviews.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #831 on: October 22, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »

I don't think I've watched him enough to really have an opinion. I just wanted to complain about something else.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #832 on: October 22, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »

Pretty sure they can do better defensively and offensively at catcher.

Castillo is just a guy.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #833 on: October 22, 2014, 11:41:15 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 22, 2014, 11:37:19 AM

Pretty sure they can do better defensively and offensively at catcher.

Castillo is just a guy.

Cool we agree.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #834 on: October 22, 2014, 12:06:54 PM »
I'm still all set on trading Baez and some dudes not named Bryant, Russell or Soler for Hamels.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #835 on: October 22, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 22, 2014, 12:06:54 PM
I'm still all set on trading Baez and some dudes not named Bryant, Russell or Soler for Hamels.

I'd be more impressed if he had a RHP season of 4+WAR, 175+Ks, and 130+ERA+

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #836 on: October 22, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »

I'm glad you're not running the Cubs because you just left Eric Patterson off your untouchable list and now he's going to be a 10-time All-Star for the Phillies.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #837 on: October 22, 2014, 02:28:03 PM »
Quote from: R-V on October 22, 2014, 01:13:12 PM

I'm glad you're not running the Cubs because you just left Eric Patterson off your untouchable list and now he's going to be a 10-time All-Star for the Phillies.

Most of the guys on the list up there are old. Some of them are dead.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #838 on: October 22, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 22, 2014, 02:28:03 PM

Some?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #839 on: October 22, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 22, 2014, 03:07:53 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on October 22, 2014, 02:28:03 PM

Some?

Crazy Steve Carlton just put Apex on his "people to kill" list.