News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse  ( 157,501 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse
« Reply #465 on: July 09, 2015, 08:36:03 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 09, 2015, 08:24:01 AM
Quote from: flannj on July 08, 2015, 10:26:56 PM

Despite the nut-punch tell me that you don't feel better about this team and where they are in relation to the Cardinals after this series.

The Cubs lost their starter after one inning, had to scrap back against Wacha and only a bad Strop outing kept it from being a huge win.

Yeah, I would have loved this one in the left column, but the Cards should have slammed the door shut on this one a lot earlier.

I know it's my job to be a Strop apologist but that pitch Peralta put in the basket wasn't even a strike. Yes, Pedro overthrew the fastball and missed his spot by two feet. But as Borb would say, he missed in his favor. Peralta guessed right on a fastball and roided one up in his man boobs barely out of the yard. The walk to Carp? In a one run game, I'd pitch around that bastard too. But shit ... I tip my cap to the Cardinals clubhouse chemist and move on from this, my Strop boner only slightly deflated but still plump enough to bat around a pinata to little avail.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #466 on: July 09, 2015, 08:38:10 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 09, 2015, 08:36:03 AM

Despite the nut-punch tell me that you don't feel better about this team and where they are in relation to the Cardinals after this series.

The Cubs lost their starter after one inning, had to scrap back against Wacha and only a bad Strop outing kept it from being a huge win.

Yeah, I would have loved this one in the left column, but the Cards should have slammed the door shut on this one a lot earlier.

I know it's my job to be a Strop apologist but that pitch Peralta put in the basket wasn't even a strike. Yes, Pedro overthrew the fastball and missed his spot by two feet. But as Borb would say, he missed in his favor. Peralta guessed right on a fastball and roided one up in his man boobs barely out of the yard. The walk to Carp? In a one run game, I'd pitch around that bastard too. But shit ... I tip my cap to the Cardinals clubhouse chemist and move on from this, my Strop boner only slightly deflated but still plump enough to bat around a pinata to little avail.

This has given me the strength to go on after this loss. Thank you.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #467 on: July 09, 2015, 08:38:50 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 09, 2015, 08:27:36 AM

I'm gonna say I do. They could have had that game last night but that shit just happens. It happens against all teams. I remember some no name dickhead on the Pirates doing it to us not that long ago so if it's going to be Peralta, a guy who can actually hit - what are you going to say about it?

It sucked but a split was a good thing and now they can really sink their teeth into the soft part of the schedule - while the Pirates tear up that ass.

They've played 35 of their last 54 vs teams that I would say are contenders (Pirates/Mets/Nats/Royals/Tigers/Twins/Dodgers/Cardinals). This was the murder stretch everyone feared and they came out of it 8 games over .500 and 3 up on the wildcard with 20 straight and 26 of their next 32 vs crap teams. Most importantly they're finally scoring some runs.

Just hope Hammel is okay. Hopefully by the next time they face the Cards again in September they'll have to deal with Schwarber and Baez along with a fully armed and operational Rizzo/Bryant/Soler/Russell foursome.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #468 on: July 09, 2015, 08:48:01 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 09, 2015, 08:38:50 AM

I'm gonna say I do. They could have had that game last night but that shit just happens. It happens against all teams. I remember some no name dickhead on the Pirates doing it to us not that long ago so if it's going to be Peralta, a guy who can actually hit - what are you going to say about it?

It sucked but a split was a good thing and now they can really sink their teeth into the soft part of the schedule - while the Pirates tear up that ass.

They've played 35 of their last 54 vs teams that I would say are contenders (Pirates/Mets/Nats/Royals/Tigers/Twins/Dodgers/Cardinals). This was the murder stretch everyone feared and they came out of it 8 games over .500 and 3 up on the wildcard with 20 straight and 26 of their next 32 vs crap teams. Most importantly they're finally scoring some runs.

Just hope Hammel is okay. Hopefully by the next time they face the Cards again in September they'll have to deal with Schwarber and Baez along with a fully armed and operational Rizzo/Bryant/Soler/Russell foursome.

There's not enough positive in the world for Russell's AB in the 9th.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #469 on: July 09, 2015, 08:51:42 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 09, 2015, 08:48:01 AM

Just a damn shame neither of the two hard-hit balls preceding that at-bat were able to avoid leather.

But yeah, here's hoping Russell's month-long descent toward a .220 average has ended.  He's been hitting the ball with a lot more authority the last few days.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #470 on: July 09, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 09, 2015, 08:51:42 AM

Just a damn shame neither of the two hard-hit balls preceding that at-bat were able to avoid leather.

But yeah, here's hoping Russell's month-long descent toward a .220 average has ended.  He's been hitting the ball with a lot more authority the last few days.

There's a troll who tweets at me a lot. Like, literally every time I say something about the Cubs. It started after I responded to one of the many times I saw that Matt Clapp fellow respond to one of the troll tweets this guy apparently sends to him daily. Anyway, this guy called it a "bullshit excuse" to say Russell's struggles are acceptable because he's a 21 year old rookie.

Sahedev also complained about people flooding his mentions, bitching about Addison Russell. I should probably just block that troll, though I generally hate blocking anyone because it seems so Yellonish, but man, does it irritate me there are idiots in this world that can't deal with a rookie struggling for a damn month.

Even that Ivy Drip fellow said that it's "too bad that Alcantara can't fix his offensive issues at Iowa or he'd be taking some of Addison's at bats, or all of them" the other night. That just seems absurd to me. No one thinks Arismendy could be a better player than Addison. The best future for the Cubs is one where Addison is starting every day for them. Whenever he started he was inevitably going to struggle at some point, so why not get said struggles out of the way right now? Much as it hurts to watch him flail away, they're still leading in a playoff spot. I feel like it would hurt worse for him to be going through his rookie struggles next year.

Anyway, TL; DR: I need to find a better way of tuning out idiots.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #471 on: July 09, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 09, 2015, 09:03:50 AM

There's a troll who tweets at me a lot. Like, literally every time I say something about the Cubs. It started after I responded to one of the many times I saw that Matt Clapp fellow respond to one of the troll tweets this guy apparently sends to him daily. Anyway, this guy called it a "bullshit excuse" to say Russell's struggles are acceptable because he's a 21 year old rookie.

Sahedev also complained about people flooding his mentions, bitching about Addison Russell. I should probably just block that troll, though I generally hate blocking anyone because it seems so Yellonish, but man, does it irritate me there are idiots in this world that can't deal with a rookie struggling for a damn month.

Even that Ivy Drip fellow said that it's "too bad that Alcantara can't fix his offensive issues at Iowa or he'd be taking some of Addison's at bats, or all of them" the other night.
That just seems absurd to me. No one thinks Arismendy could be a better player than Addison. The best future for the Cubs is one where Addison is starting every day for them. Whenever he started he was inevitably going to struggle at some point, so why not get said struggles out of the way right now? Much as it hurts to watch him flail away, they're still leading in a playoff spot. I feel like it would hurt worse for him to be going through his rookie struggles next year.

That's colossally dumb.  Why wouldn't you just say "too bad Russell can't fix his offensive issues..."?  It's the whole "if the queen had the balls she'd be king" pointless exercise in rhetorical masturbation but if you're going to go down that rabbit hole, why factor in Alcantara at all?  Dumb.

I'd say Sam should stick to hockey but he's the same guy who wrote off the Blackhawks 100 days before they were hoisting the Cup so I guess overreacting has become his thing.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #472 on: July 09, 2015, 09:14:23 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 09, 2015, 09:08:55 AM

Even that Ivy Drip fellow said that it's "too bad that Alcantara can't fix his offensive issues at Iowa or he'd be taking some of Addison's at bats, or all of them" the other night.
That just seems absurd to me. No one thinks Arismendy could be a better player than Addison. The best future for the Cubs is one where Addison is starting every day for them. Whenever he started he was inevitably going to struggle at some point, so why not get said struggles out of the way right now? Much as it hurts to watch him flail away, they're still leading in a playoff spot. I feel like it would hurt worse for him to be going through his rookie struggles next year.

That's colossally dumb.  Why wouldn't you just say "too bad Russell can't fix his offensive issues..."?  It's the whole "if the queen had the balls she'd be king" pointless exercise in rhetorical masturbation but if you're going to go down that rabbit hole, why factor in Alcantara at all?  Dumb.

I'd say Sam should stick to hockey but he's the same guy who wrote off the Blackhawks 100 days before they were hoisting the Cup so I guess overreacting has become his thing.

I mean I guess what he was saying is "maybe if Mendy could have hit enough to keep Addison in AAA a little longer he wouldn't be going through this" but honestly most guys who aren't Kris Bryant (and even he's had some multi-week rough patches) would still have these struggles even with AAA seasoning. I don't think Russell wasn't ready, I just think he's working on things that can only be worked on by facing major league pitchers on a daily basis.  

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #473 on: July 09, 2015, 09:21:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 09, 2015, 09:14:23 AM

I mean I guess what he was saying is "maybe if Mendy could have hit enough to keep Addison in AAA a little longer he wouldn't be going through this" but honestly most guys who aren't Kris Bryant (and even he's had some multi-week rough patches) would still have these struggles even with AAA seasoning. I don't think Russell wasn't ready, I just think he's working on things that can only be worked on by facing major league pitchers on a daily basis.  

Agreed, and I think this is being proven by how he's been hitting the last few days.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #474 on: July 09, 2015, 09:25:55 AM »

He has me & Slak writing about 2 different sports for him, so how smart can he possibly be?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #475 on: July 09, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »

Wait, why would you pitch around the fuckhead who OPS'd .577 in June and .459 so far in July? That guy is exactly who you should have gone right after.

Oh, wait, I forgot:

Quote from: InternetApex on May 11, 2015, 11:22:29 AM
An at bat against Matt Carpenter is more stressful than at bat against Kris Bryant
You might wanna see a therapist over this weird Carp fascination.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #476 on: July 09, 2015, 10:47:54 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 09, 2015, 10:44:49 AM

Wait, why would you pitch around the fuckhead who OPS'd .577 in June and .459 so far in July? That guy is exactly who you should have gone right after.

Oh, wait, I forgot:

An at bat against Matt Carpenter is more stressful than at bat against Kris Bryant

Way too much on the agenda already. Doubtful we'd get to it.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #477 on: July 09, 2015, 10:51:47 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 09, 2015, 10:47:54 AM

Oh, wait, I forgot:

Way too much on the agenda already. Doubtful we'd get to it.

It's okay, I mostly just wanted an excuse to re-use that quote, because it will presumably never stop being funny to me. In fact, it should only get funnier as the years go by when Kris Bryant is remembered with the A-Rods, Mike Trouts, Mike Schmidts, and Troy Glauses of the world and Matt Carpenter is forgotten like some common Chad Tracy except for when I pull that quote.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #478 on: July 09, 2015, 10:57:34 AM »
I was with Apex in that watching a Matt Carpenter at-bat is akin to taking one's ball sack under a power sander (unless you're into that sort of thing).  However, I've also noticed he's not been the same hitter lately.  My irrational fear of Carpenter died a little when I was in attendance Tuesday night and Motte had put the first two runners on in front of him.  I was very dreadful of Carpenter, preparing for some serious DOOM at that moment but he immediately hit a pop foul for the first out so I'm starting to think (hope?) the bloom is off that fucking gritty rose.  Pitch to him, asshole!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #479 on: July 09, 2015, 11:09:50 AM »

Oh, wait, I forgot:

Well, he IS a really awesome hitter. He's coming back from that weird fatigue thing so he's struggled (and I would've preferred they went right after him last night, too), but Apex is still basically right.