News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,134 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #195 on: July 01, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »
[tinfoil hat]I've been wondering lately if the Cubs actually prefer to trade Schwarber. They're really heavily beating the "he can catch" drum in public, which has been unsubstantiated by basically any other scout who's seen him catch. It seems like a somewhat thinly-veiled attempt to boost his value. And the short-term call-up could have also been a bit of a showcase for him.

Given the rest of the Cubs' roster makeup, he's blocked pretty much everywhere (even at catcher in 2016). There are other players who could be better all-around corner OF options (McKinney might be ready next year) soon. I'm just really struggling to see a fit for him unless they carry three catchers, but that seems like a waste to have a bat like Schwarber only starting some of the time. And they've said he isn't ready to catch in the bigs now, but is another 30-40 games and 6 months going to make that huge of a difference to where he'll suddenly be ready? It seems kind of inconsistent.

I don't think they'll ship him off for just anyone and I'm sure they'll find a way to fit him into things if they don't trade him. But given that he doesn't have a clear path to playing time, I wonder if he's most valuable to the Cubs as a trade piece. [/tinfoil hat]

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: July 01, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »
Quote from: Eli on July 01, 2015, 10:24:37 AM
[tinfoil hat]I've been wondering lately if the Cubs actually prefer to trade Schwarber. They're really heavily beating the "he can catch" drum in public, which has been unsubstantiated by basically any other scout who's seen him catch. It seems like a somewhat thinly-veiled attempt to boost his value. And the short-term call-up could have also been a bit of a showcase for him.

Given the rest of the Cubs' roster makeup, he's blocked pretty much everywhere (even at catcher in 2016). There are other players who could be better all-around corner OF options (McKinney might be ready next year) soon. I'm just really struggling to see a fit for him unless they carry three catchers, but that seems like a waste to have a bat like Schwarber only starting some of the time. And they've said he isn't ready to catch in the bigs now, but is another 30-40 games and 6 months going to make that huge of a difference to where he'll suddenly be ready? It seems kind of inconsistent.

I don't think they'll ship him off for just anyone and I'm sure they'll find a way to fit him into things if they don't trade him. But given that he doesn't have a clear path to playing time, I wonder if he's most valuable to the Cubs as a trade piece. [/tinfoil hat]

It's not that far off of a notion.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: July 01, 2015, 10:26:47 AM »
Didn't you hear? The Cubs want to trade Rizzo!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 01, 2015, 10:26:04 AM

No it's not. Also don't we know they already had plans to trade Baez before he got hurt?

I don't think they'd shy away from trading anyone who hasn't made an impact at the major league level. And they'd probably even trade some of those guys, too.

I can't wait for Theo's first Holy Shit trade involving one of Our Boys.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: July 01, 2015, 10:31:55 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 01, 2015, 10:27:36 AM

No it's not. Also don't we know they already had plans to trade Baez before he got hurt?

I don't think they'd shy away from trading anyone who hasn't made an impact at the major league level. And they'd probably even trade some of those guys, too.

I'm still recovering from Bowman's ballsy Holy Shit trade of Saad but yeah it'll be interesting no matter who it is.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: July 01, 2015, 10:41:28 AM »

The thing about Schwarber is maybe the Cubs do feel he can be a MLB catcher. And if he is proving he can, then I kind of believe the Cubs will happily find a home for either of the two catchers they have on the roster right now. The thing, though, is that I feel like Montero's and Ross's defense is more important than their offense, so I like Schwarber in LF only because...well...offense.

Not to mention the caveat that the Cubs would give up Schwarber for something very, very impactful. What do the Cubs want? Another bat in the outfield and starting pitching. I don't think the Cubs want to go big in renting a front line starter, unless they feel they can swap Schwarber for some front line pitcher that's team controlled.

I guess my point is that I think the Cubs figure Schwarber into the long term solution of this franchise and I'd be kind of shocked that they traded him. But the point about the Cubs maintaining their staunch position that he can catch when most people don't think he can holds merit to boosting his value.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2015, 10:49:29 AM »

It should be amusing for the crowd that normally balks at any thing even hinting at criticism of The Plan when they get mad at Theo for trading away one of their overvalued prospects. Shit, I've had arguments with people this year who thought Dan Vogelbach was too much to give up for  rental like Scott Kazmir. A Schwarber trade should blow people's minds.

I'm usually not one to just default to blind trust either but if Theo trades Schwarber I'm going to be pretty confident that it's because he knows better than anyone that the dude isn't going to stick at catcher. He'd probably need to hit at an absurd level to stick in left field and overcome his defense there, too. That actually does leave his likely future at first base as Rob Neyer suggested, but obviously unlike in that idiot's fantasy land in the real world Rizzo's going nowhere.

Either way I am really doubting they sit tight this month. Something awesome is coming and I can't wait.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2015, 10:58:18 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 01, 2015, 10:49:29 AM

It should be amusing for the crowd that normally balks at any thing even hinting at criticism of The Plan when they get mad at Theo for trading away one of their overvalued prospects. Shit, I've had arguments with people this year who thought Dan Vogelbach was too much to give up for  rental like Scott Kazmir. A Schwarber trade should blow people's minds.

I'm usually not one to just default to blind trust either but if Theo trades Schwarber I'm going to be pretty confident that it's because he knows better than anyone that the dude isn't going to stick at catcher. He'd probably need to hit at an absurd level to stick in left field and overcome his defense there, too. That actually does leave his likely future at first base as Rob Neyer suggested, but obviously unlike in that idiot's fantasy land in the real world Rizzo's going nowhere.

Either way I am really doubting they sit tight this month. Something awesome is coming and I can't wait.

Keep tilting at those windmills, Don SKOxote.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2015, 11:08:45 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 01, 2015, 10:58:18 AM

Keep tilting at those windmills, Don SKOxote.

I actually wasn't referring to anywhere here. But as Eli can tell you just propose trading Scwharber or something on twitter and see what happens. Most fanbases overvalue their own prospects, I just think Cubs fans (and with good reason given the early returns on Bryant/Soler/Russell) have started to think every guy they currently have in the system is too valuable to trade for "just" a rental.

I mean when Steve Philips propsed that impossible Schwarber-Hamels trade there were Cubs fan honestly opposed to that, which is hilarious.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »

I'll die inside because I'm totes a "Don't knock the plan/Theo" guy. I'll be mad and worry about what they gave up, but when Chris Sale is dominating the Tards for the Cubes, I'll settle down

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 01, 2015, 11:09:55 AM

I'll die inside because I'm totes a "Don't knock the plan/Theo" guy. I'll be mad and worry about what they gave up, but when Chris Sale is dominating the Tards for the Cubes, I'll settle down

I'm a "don't knock the plan/theo guy" but at some point I assume "the plan" includes flipping assets for veteran pitching, among other things, and there are lots of people on Cubs twitter who can't seem to accept that transition is coming.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2015, 11:19:11 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 01, 2015, 09:47:47 AM
Quote from: Oleg on July 01, 2015, 09:42:34 AM
The Padres are 5 games under 500.  I would not object to Justin Upton in LF for The Cubs.

Weren't the Cubs explicitly on his No Thanks list?

I wonder if this is still true given how things have changed. I don't blame Upton for not trusting the Cubs rebuild two years ago, but maybe he's seen that things are obviously headed in the right direction?

Then again I heard he also had Boston on there so maybe he just doesn't want to play in front of really annoying fanbases.

If he'd be willing to accept the trade I wonder what it would cost to get him. Padres can't have that much leverage with him headed towards free agency anyway.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2015, 12:17:40 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 01, 2015, 11:19:11 AM
The Padres are 5 games under 500.  I would not object to Justin Upton in LF for The Cubs.

I wonder if this is still true given how things have changed. I don't blame Upton for not trusting the Cubs rebuild two years ago, but maybe he's seen that things are obviously headed in the right direction?

Then again I heard he also had Boston on there so maybe he just doesn't want to play in front of really annoying fanbases.

If he'd be willing to accept the trade I wonder what it would cost to get him. Padres can't have that much leverage with him headed towards free agency anyway.

If you're a player who hates fan bases, San Diego is perfect they don't have any.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2015, 12:19:24 PM »

I think part of the reason players put big market teams on their no trade lists is to gain leverage.  Whether to pick up an option ahead of time or signing an extension or whatnot.  That's a school of thought, anyway.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2015, 12:28:46 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 01, 2015, 12:19:24 PM
The Padres are 5 games under 500.  I would not object to Justin Upton in LF for The Cubs.

I think part of the reason players put big market teams on their no trade lists is to gain leverage.  Whether to pick up an option ahead of time or signing an extension or whatnot.  That's a school of thought, anyway.

Upton will be, what, 28 next year? You could convince me that he's worth paying. Course that would pretty much require Bryant to stick at 3B and there are still doubts there. Either way one consistent veteran power bat in the middle of that lineup could really jumpstart things, kinda like when the Nats signed Werth.