News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,236 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #345 on: July 29, 2015, 09:29:25 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 28, 2015, 08:25:04 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 28, 2015, 08:10:25 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 28, 2015, 08:05:14 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 28, 2015, 07:19:59 PM
Quote from: Shooter on July 28, 2015, 06:56:26 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 28, 2015, 03:33:55 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 28, 2015, 03:29:38 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2015, 03:26:02 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 28, 2015, 03:23:18 PM
Just get CarGo for Soler and we'll be good.

Even as the guy who is worried shitless about Jorge right now, I still don't know if I could pull the trigger on this. But the reports say he's more likely to be traded in the offseason, so by then we'll have more info in the datase about Soler and Baez to see how badly we really need that third power bat behind Rizzo and Bryant.

I'm hoping Soler trends back up, Baez contributes, and Theo has the luxury of deciding whether or not he needs an Upton or CarGo or Cespedes. If things keep going as they are, he might need to nab one of them.

I'm not worried about Soler.

Neither am I. But I might pull that trigger. What's Soler's max upside? Probably CarGo. He's a career 119 OPS+ away from Coors and a three time Gold Glover. Only downsides are giving up 2 years of player control and 6 years of age.

Are you going to arrange for CarGo to continue to play half of his games in Coors?

Career at home: 326/384/599/983
Career on the road: 258/313/440/752

It's a big split, but the vast majority of players do hit quite a bit better at home.

It's 7 to 8 times the average difference.

Trading for Carlos Gonzalez on the basis of a two week stretch where he's been hotter than shit and the Cubs' have been equally cold seems like a bad idea. Chuck's on board with it, too. QED

Why are you assuming that'd be the "basis" for a trade?

Sorry, I shouldn't put words in anyone's mouth. I'm assuming people like Chuck are hot for him due to his recent tear as nobody was talking about trading for him two weeks ago.

Well, CarGo wasn't supposedly available two weeks ago.

And Soler gets $4.6mm in 2016 and 2017, then can opt for arbitration. If he's good as we expect, he's only cheap for 2 more years.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #346 on: July 29, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »
So, Ben Rowen (not on the 40 man roster) and Medina called up. Beeler sent down, Ramirez to the DL (abdominal soreness...yeah right).

The 40-man roster currently stands at 40 with 2 on the 60-day DL.

Starlin is out of the lineup. So is Soler. Schwarber in LF, Coghlan in RF.

ETA: Dodgers land Morse and Latos from Miami.

Jayson Stark
‏@jaysonst
Teams speaking with the #Padres say they’re about to get “super-active” & think they’re positioning themselves to make a “huge deal.”
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #347 on: July 29, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 29, 2015, 10:18:21 AM
So, Ben Rowen (not on the 40 man roster) and Medina called up. Beeler sent down, Ramirez to the DL (abdominal soreness...yeah right).

Jayson Stark
‏@jaysonst
Teams speaking with the #Padres say they're about to get "super-active" & think they're positioning themselves to make a "huge deal."

Stalin for Tyson Ross?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #348 on: July 29, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 29, 2015, 10:32:12 AM

Jayson Stark
‏@jaysonst
Teams speaking with the #Padres say they’re about to get “super-active” & think they’re positioning themselves to make a “huge deal.”

Stalin for Tyson Ross?

If we don't know anything by the end of the day still and Javy is not in the lineup for Iowa, the dots have to connect right?

ETA: Mike Baxter DFA'd to make room for Rowen on the 40-man.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #349 on: July 29, 2015, 11:30:43 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 29, 2015, 10:34:00 AM
Quote from: Brownie on July 29, 2015, 10:32:12 AM

Jayson Stark
‏@jaysonst
Teams speaking with the #Padres say they're about to get "super-active" & think they're positioning themselves to make a "huge deal."

Stalin for Tyson Ross?

If we don't know anything by the end of the day still and Javy is not in the lineup for Iowa, the dots have to connect right?

ETA: Mike Baxter DFA'd to make room for Rowen on the 40-man.

Ross also pitches tonight for San Diego, so I imagine they'd like to get it done before that.

It's fun to connect all the dots here:

• Starlin's weird double switch from last night late in the game
  • Eloy getting pulled shortly after Starlin, then the media having conflicting reports -- Emeralds Twitter said he wasn't hurt at all, one newspaper said it was his shoulder, another said it was his hamstring
  • Griggs, Eloy's teammate at Eugene, posted this on Twitter about being sad when teammates leave
  • Baez playing SS in Iowa last night
  • Castro totally out of the lineup today
  • Soler out of the lineup today
  • Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy and Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #350 on: July 29, 2015, 11:35:42 AM »
Quote from: Eli on July 29, 2015, 11:30:43 AM
Ross also pitches tonight for San Diego, so I imagine they'd like to get it done before that.

• Eloy getting pulled shortly after Starlin, then the media having conflicting reports -- Emeralds Twitter said he wasn't hurt at all, one newspaper said it was his shoulder, another said it was his hamstring
  • Griggs, Eloy's teammate at Eugene, posted this on Twitter about being sad when teammates leave
  • Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy and Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln

They were both American presidents.
The American flag was sewn by Betsy Ross.
The Cubs are getting Tyson Ross!

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #353 on: July 29, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »
Mark Gonzales: "Maddon said he told Castro he's "not getting traded" and to relax and play and "don't worry about this stuff".
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #354 on: July 29, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 29, 2015, 11:52:21 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 29, 2015, 11:45:44 AM
http://www.hngn.com/articles/113943/20150729/chicago-cubs-rumors-trade-for-tyson-ross-craig-kimbrel-in-the-works-starlin-castro-and-prospects-could-get-deal-done.htm

If this is the deal on the table, my boner will last for months.

I think it's just speculation. Also, Maddon told Starlin that he won't be traded and to relax and play. Not to worry about all this.

Javy Baez played SS last night, though.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #355 on: July 29, 2015, 11:58:24 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 29, 2015, 11:53:14 AM
Mark Gonzales: "Maddon said he told Castro he's "not getting traded" and to relax and play and "don't worry about this stuff".

He probably said it like an abusive boyfriend. "Who would even want you?"

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #356 on: July 29, 2015, 12:01:02 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 29, 2015, 11:35:42 AM

Don't get me wrong this is all very fun, but is Tyson Ross (or anyone on the Padres) really worth Castro AND Soler AND Jimenez? Although it would be pretty entertaining for the team that already has 8,000 outfielders to trade for a couple more.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #357 on: July 29, 2015, 12:02:28 PM »
Quote from: R-V on July 29, 2015, 12:01:02 PM

Don't get me wrong this is all very fun, but is Tyson Ross (or anyone on the Padres) really worth Castro AND Soler AND Jimenez? Although it would be pretty entertaining for the team that already has 8,000 outfielders to trade for a couple more.

I don't think Soler is actually getting traded, but if he were in the deal I think there'd be more coming back than just Ross.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #358 on: July 29, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 29, 2015, 12:02:28 PM

I don't think Soler is actually getting traded, but if he were in the deal I think there'd be more coming back than just Ross.

Ross and Kimbrel in the link above, but that just seems too good to be true for Starlin "plus prospects", whatever that nebulousness means.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #359 on: July 29, 2015, 12:10:09 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 29, 2015, 12:02:28 PM

My guess is if Soler were part of the package the Cubs would be getting Upton and Kimbrel. Cubs play Upton in RF the rest of the year and try to extend him, I guess? But I believe Maddon when he says Castro isn't getting traded. Joe doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would lie to a player like that.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015