News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,335 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #375 on: July 30, 2015, 01:04:58 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 30, 2015, 01:00:03 PM
Quote from: Brownie on July 30, 2015, 12:23:22 PM
Quote from: Oleg on July 30, 2015, 11:58:43 AM
David Price to The Blue Jays.

Daniel Norris, apparently, heading to Detroit.

The Dollar is $1.30 loonies. Now, that hurts Toronto, right? Having to pay Americans in George Washingtons while their fans and TV partners pay in funny, european-looking, much-less valuable paper will make Price's departure this offseason a fait accompli, correct?

Other than Russell Martin, who I'm sure is paid in maple syrup, Toronto isn't really a player for the top free agents.  Right?

Yeah I doubt they can re-sign him, but man I hope they make the playoffs. I wanna see that offense running roughshod over the largely shitty pitching staffs of all the Non-Astros AL contenders.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #376 on: July 30, 2015, 01:05:47 PM »

The Dollar is $1.30 loonies. Now, that hurts Toronto, right? Having to pay Americans in George Washingtons while their fans and TV partners pay in funny, european-looking, much-less valuable paper will make Price's departure this offseason a fait accompli, correct?

Other than Russell Martin, who I'm sure is paid in maple syrup, Toronto isn't really a player for the top free agents.  Right?

No. In fact they're going to have to replace Encarnacion or Bautista at some point soon. I guess Anthopoulous is anticipating that and making moves now to see if he can squeeze anything out of this group as presently constructed.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #377 on: July 30, 2015, 01:13:47 PM »

It's not even a top destination for hockey free agents.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #378 on: July 30, 2015, 01:17:10 PM »
Quote from: CT III on July 30, 2015, 01:13:47 PM

Other than Russell Martin, who I'm sure is paid in maple syrup, Toronto isn't really a player for the top free agents.  Right?

It's not David Clarkson's fault that The Leafs are made of money.  And, the cap.

Quote from: SKO on July 30, 2015, 01:04:58 PM
Yeah I doubt they can re-sign him, but man I hope they make the playoffs. I wanna see that offense running roughshod over the largely shitty pitching staffs of all the Non-Astros AL contenders.

Fuckin' 'ay. Granted, over the past 22 months I've developed an affinity for Tulo.  He's just awesome.  But, I also can't really dislike Bautista.  And Donaldson is awesome.

I think I have my AL rooting interest.

Thanks.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #379 on: July 30, 2015, 01:36:52 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 30, 2015, 01:17:10 PM

Other than Russell Martin, who I'm sure is paid in maple syrup, Toronto isn't really a player for the top free agents.  Right?

It's not David Clarkson's fault that The Leafs are made of money.  And, the cap.

Fuckin' 'ay. Granted, over the past 22 months I've developed an affinity for Tulo.  He's just awesome.  But, I also can't really dislike Bautista.  And Donaldson is awesome.

Thanks.

My (and Pen's, I think) Stros vs. your Jays. IT'S ON

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #380 on: July 30, 2015, 02:38:50 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 30, 2015, 01:36:52 PM

Thanks.

Fuck the Astros. They should be in the NL, Mike Scott threw spitters, they fucked J.R. Richard and introduced Ken Caminiti to steroids and crack cocaine. They were fucksticks in 2004 getting Beltran out from under Hendry's $7.50 buffet lunch and then when we needed them to perform against the Cards, they folded. When America and the world needed them to beat the Mets in 1986, they folded. When the world really needed a message that good (or at least not as evil) triumphs over evil (and skanky), they got swept by the motherfucking White Sox. The last time they were relevant, they were crying about Carlos Zambrano's no hitter at Miller Park.

So, screw 'em. I had a fondness for the late-80s through early 90s Blue Jays. Loved when they beat the Genius in the 1992 ALCS. Loved when they beat the Sox in the 1993 ALCS. Dave Stieb, Jesse Barfield, Tony Fernandez, Roberto ALomar, Ernie Whitt, George Bell, John Olerud, Jimmy Key, Ed Sprague, Joe Carter, Paul Molitor, Tom Henke. God love all of them.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #381 on: July 30, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 30, 2015, 02:38:50 PM

Thanks.

Fuck the Astros. They should be in the NL, Mike Scott threw spitters, they fucked J.R. Richard and introduced Ken Caminiti to steroids and crack cocaine. They were fucksticks in 2004 getting Beltran out from under Hendry's $7.50 buffet lunch and then when we needed them to perform against the Cards, they folded. When America and the world needed them to beat the Mets in 1986, they folded. When the world really needed a message that good (or at least not as evil) triumphs over evil (and skanky), they got swept by the motherfucking White Sox. The last time they were relevant, they were crying about Carlos Zambrano's no hitter at Miller Park.

So, screw 'em. I had a fondness for the late-80s through early 90s Blue Jays. Loved when they beat the Genius in the 1992 ALCS. Loved when they beat the Sox in the 1993 ALCS. Dave Stieb, Jesse Barfield, Tony Fernandez, Roberto ALomar, Ernie Whitt, George Bell, John Olerud, Jimmy Key, Ed Sprague, Joe Carter, Paul Molitor, Tom Henke. God love all of them.

I too would like to say that I am Team Blue Jays this year. Also, as reparations for past misconduct ably detailed above, Houston should give us Carlos Correa for Starlin Castro.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #382 on: July 30, 2015, 04:08:22 PM »
A Blue Jays-Royals ALCS would be all kinds of awesome.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #383 on: July 30, 2015, 09:53:55 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 30, 2015, 04:08:22 PM
A Blue Jays-Royals ALCS would be all kinds of awesome.

Especially because of the teams that wouldn't be in it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #384 on: July 31, 2015, 07:31:51 AM »

Thanks.

THI. Fuck the Stros. TJ never even got to assholes like the fucking Beege. And Lance Berkman was really the fat chick from Facts of Life. Fuck them.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #385 on: July 31, 2015, 08:54:17 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 31, 2015, 07:31:51 AM

Thanks.

THI. Fuck the Stros. TJ never even got to assholes like the fucking Beege. And Lance Berkman was really the fat chick from Facts of Life. Fuck them.

Also, the Astros introduced baseball to Astroturf and Joe Morgan.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #386 on: July 31, 2015, 09:00:20 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 31, 2015, 08:54:17 AM

Thanks.

And Cesar Cedeno was a fucking murderer.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #387 on: July 31, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »

Thanks.

You forgot to mention Fred McGriff.
M'lady.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #388 on: July 31, 2015, 09:54:56 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 31, 2015, 08:54:17 AM

Fuckin' 'ay. Granted, over the past 22 months I've developed an affinity for Tulo.  He's just awesome.  But, I also can't really dislike Bautista.  And Donaldson is awesome.

Thanks.

Those reasons are all fine and dandy, but I like teams that just fucking hack it away like it's their job. After this season (projected out), they'll have had 1,471 Ks/season for the last 3 years. That includes breaking the MLB strikeout record in 2013. That 2013 was helped by Rick Ankiel's Most Awesomest Season Ever: 62 ABs, 5 HRs, 35Ks (!). This year they're on pace for 1436. And they're in first place!

EDIT: Also, 1st in HR (AL Ranks), 13th in Avg, 10th in OBP, but 4th in SLG. They're a bunch of 2 outcome players (K or HR) and I love it.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #389 on: July 31, 2015, 10:20:40 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on July 31, 2015, 09:36:16 AM

Thanks.

You forgot to mention Fred McGriff.
McGriff and Fernandez for Robbie Alomar and Carter was one of the most fun Winter Meetings trades. Joe Carter, of course was the centerpiece of the Cubs' package to bring in Sutcliffe (and Ron Hassey and George Frazier), but he was involved in a second blockbuster trade, when Cleveland dealt him to San Diego for Sandy Alomar Jr. and Carlos Baerga.

McGriff was involved in two trade deadline deals, but the one that sent him from San Diego to Atlanta in 1993 turned out to be a flop for SD. As for Fernandez, he wound up having a nice career, playing a nice role in Cleveland's 1997 World Series team as a second baseman (coincidentally replaced with Robbie Alomar the next year).