News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,174 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #630 on: July 05, 2017, 12:01:53 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 05, 2017, 11:59:28 AM
Will the Cubs also sell pieces? Seriously, what would Arrieta fetch in the trade market right now if he puts together two or three more decent starts? How about Wade Davis? Can the Cubs decide that if they sneak in the playoffs this team, as currently constructed, probably won't last long, so maybe they should just reconfigure a little bit, and maybe still make the playoffs this year?

Who else could be made available? Zobrist (two more years under contract, maybe untradeable)? Russell? Lackey (would someone be desperate enough to take him since he's a "winner" with three rings)? Strop? Heyward (also maybe untradeable)?

If the Cubs "sell" and send a message that they aren't confident their core guys can make up 3.5 games on the f--king Brewers in half a season I don't expect that go over well. They'll buy. They won't sell
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #631 on: July 05, 2017, 12:03:37 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 05, 2017, 12:01:53 PM
Will the Cubs also sell pieces? Seriously, what would Arrieta fetch in the trade market right now if he puts together two or three more decent starts? How about Wade Davis? Can the Cubs decide that if they sneak in the playoffs this team, as currently constructed, probably won't last long, so maybe they should just reconfigure a little bit, and maybe still make the playoffs this year?

Who else could be made available? Zobrist (two more years under contract, maybe untradeable)? Russell? Lackey (would someone be desperate enough to take him since he's a "winner" with three rings)? Strop? Heyward (also maybe untradeable)?

If the Cubs "sell" and send a message that they aren't confident their core guys can make up 3.5 games on the f--king Brewers in half a season I don't expect that go over well. They'll buy. They won't sell

These "the Cubs need to sell or DECIDE by the end of July whether or not to sell" are currently the most scrotum-itching takes I've seen on Twitter.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #632 on: July 05, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on July 05, 2017, 12:03:37 PM

These "the Cubs need to sell or DECIDE by the end of July whether or not to sell" are currently the most scrotum-itching takes I've seen on Twitter.

HOW MANY TEARS, THEO???
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #633 on: July 05, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »

Also the idea that they'd be doomed to failure in October if they got there as an 85 win schlub is...flawed. The Giants won three world series and were maybe the third best team in the NL in two of those seasons. The 2006 Cardinals happened despite our World Series cancellation jokes. The 2014 Royals had a handful of elite relievers and a lineup of annoying assholes and rode them all of the way to game 7 of the world series. If you don't think this lineup and this rotation (assuming a trade deadline upgrade or two) could get randomly hot as dick for 11-19 games in October I can't agree with you.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #634 on: July 05, 2017, 01:17:18 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 05, 2017, 12:30:25 PM

Also the idea that they'd be doomed to failure in October if they got there as an 85 win schlub is...flawed. The Giants won three world series and were maybe the third best team in the NL in two of those seasons. The 2006 Cardinals happened despite our World Series cancellation jokes. The 2014 Royals had a handful of elite relievers and a lineup of annoying assholes and rode them all of the way to game 7 of the world series. If you don't think this lineup and this rotation (assuming a trade deadline upgrade or two) could get randomly hot as dick for 11-19 games in October I can't agree with you.

Could it be a combination of the two? Modest buying and an aggressive sell?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #635 on: July 05, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 05, 2017, 01:17:18 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 05, 2017, 12:30:25 PM

Could it be a combination of the two? Modest buying and an aggressive sell?

I don't think anyone really does that. It doesn't really matter who you get, if you trade Jake Arrieta under the assumption that he's a piece that can help a contender, you're saying you aren't that contender, and the clubhouse that knows and loves him and won a title largely due to his efforts is not going to think you believe in them.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #636 on: July 05, 2017, 02:24:10 PM »

I want Davis extended, not traded.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #637 on: July 05, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 05, 2017, 02:24:10 PM

This decision hinges, I suspect, on whether or not they feel Carl's Jr. is, in fact, the Closer of the Future, and if he's ready to begin the role in 2018, in which case they'd have a rather cost-effective closer instead.

I do like Davis, though.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #638 on: July 05, 2017, 02:36:19 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on July 05, 2017, 02:29:28 PM

This decision hinges, I suspect, on whether or not they feel Carl's Jr. is, in fact, the Closer of the Future, and if he's ready to begin the role in 2018, in which case they'd have a rather cost-effective closer instead.

I do like Davis, though.

I don't think it is a question of Carl's ability so much as they seem very worried about how well that slight frame of his can hold up over the course of a season. They try hard to avoid using him on back to back days. Kinda hard to hand a guy with those restrictions the closer job. I wouldn't mind a Wade extension.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #639 on: July 05, 2017, 02:50:40 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 05, 2017, 02:36:19 PM

I do like Davis, though.

I don't think it is a question of Carl's ability so much as they seem very worried about how well that slight frame of his can hold up over the course of a season. They try hard to avoid using him on back to back days. Kinda hard to hand a guy with those restrictions the closer job. I wouldn't mind a Wade extension.

I also favor a Davis extension for the same reasons I wanted Kenley so badly: Two bullpen aces on a contender are better than one. I just didn't want Chapman, because fuck that guy.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #640 on: July 05, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 05, 2017, 02:50:40 PM

I do like Davis, though.

I also favor a Davis extension for the same reasons I wanted Kenley so badly: Two bullpen aces on a contender are better than one. I just didn't want Chapman, because fuck that guy.

This. And, as to cost, they are dropping $51.6 million in Jake, Lackey, Montero, and Uehara. Extending Davis uses, what, $20mm of that? Leaves $35mm for free agent pitchers.  And that assumes payroll is static.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #641 on: July 05, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 05, 2017, 02:50:40 PM

I do like Davis, though.

Edwards and Davis make it a 7 inning game most days. I'm perfectly fine with keeping that party going.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #642 on: July 10, 2017, 02:06:55 PM »
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #643 on: July 10, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 10, 2017, 02:06:55 PM
DPD.

Detroit can't possibly be this crazy, right?

Yeah, how dare they set their negotiating anchor high. Should've read The Art of The Deal.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #644 on: July 10, 2017, 03:30:33 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 10, 2017, 03:13:53 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 10, 2017, 02:06:55 PM
DPD.

Detroit can't possibly be this crazy, right?

Yeah, how dare they set their negotiating anchor high. Should've read The Art of The Deal.

I think he meant crazy as in considering trading either of those guys not crazy in their asking price, whatever it may be.