News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel  ( 1,054 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »
There is probably no reason for anyone under the age of 65 to go and see this movie, except for outstanding acting, direction, and story.  If anyone wants a fuller review I will be happy to oblige, but don't say that I didn't warn you.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:42:23 AM »
Stew is right about the first bit - this isn't just a movie about old people, it's really FOR old people.

As for his second assertion, I have to disagree: the acting (with the possible exceptions of Judi Dench and Bill Nighy) was at best creaky, and at worst downright amateurish; the storyline managed to drag AND be superficial at the same time, which is quite an achievement - and if you're looking for a film full of surprises, this ain't it.  Even by the low, low standards of this genre, this film was predictable to an almost comical extent.

The script was largely poor, but with occasional spells of toe-curling awfulness.  The scene where Judi Dench is teaching call-centre staff to talk to old people was almost unbelievably badly written, and as you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, made even Dame Judi look bad.

The photography was nice and it did make me want to visit India but bearing in mind how much else is wrong with this film I'd be hard pressed to say that the direction was "average", let alone "outstanding".

Put me down for a great, big "meh", and that's being kind.  It's borderline pish, and considering how many good things I'd heard about it, a big, big letdown.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 08:03:49 AM »

Doesn't Bill Nighy just keep playing variations of the same character?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 02, 2012, 05:42:23 AM
Stew is right about the first bit - this isn't just a movie about old people, it's really FOR old people.

As for his second assertion, I have to disagree: the acting (with the possible exceptions of Judi Dench and Bill Nighy) was at best creaky, and at worst downright amateurish; the storyline managed to drag AND be superficial at the same time, which is quite an achievement - and if you're looking for a film full of surprises, this ain't it.  Even by the low, low standards of this genre, this film was predictable to an almost comical extent.

The script was largely poor, but with occasional spells of toe-curling awfulness.  The scene where Judi Dench is teaching call-centre staff to talk to old people was almost unbelievably badly written, and as you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, made even Dame Judi look bad.

The photography was nice and it did make me want to visit India but bearing in mind how much else is wrong with this film I'd be hard pressed to say that the direction was "average", let alone "outstanding".

Put me down for a great, big "meh", and that's being kind.  It's borderline pish, and considering how many good things I'd heard about it, a big, big letdown.

I don't disagree that it is a movie for old people.  When I saw it most of us were napping.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)