News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Will Joe Paterno AND Penn State Football Both Die in 2012?  ( 19,469 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Will Joe Paterno AND Penn State Football Both Die in 2012?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 13, 2012, 12:42:14 PM
Look at USC for an example of the efficacy of NCAA sanctions.  So they missed out on some postseason games.  It made no dent whatsoever on their ability to recruit many of the best high school players nationwide.  Skeptic that I am, my conclusion is that sanctions for recruiting violations function as advertising for the cheating institutions.

Penn State and USC have no equivalency, unless you'd like to argue that potential recruits look at going to the school where Reggie Bush took gifts and cash the same way they'll look at playing at the school where the locker room shower stalls were the site of multiple rapes of pre-adolescent boys.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 12:47:40 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 13, 2012, 12:33:45 PM
Quote from: Fork on July 13, 2012, 12:26:42 PM
As for demolishing the program, I'm pretty sure the program was effectively demolished the minute I got dead pool points for JoePa. Even before this story broke, everybody knew PSU football was a cult of personality, and JoePa had more influence in State College than anyone up to and including the Governor of Pennsylvania.

And Penn St. is still a huge money maker. Happy Valley will still be packed, the alumni still travels well, and nobody can doubt that PSU's next football game will be huge TV.

???

I thought the death penalty was a no-brainer until I saw the deafening silence out of the NCAA.

Even best case scenario, I don't think anyone should have expected the NCAA to dole out a punishment within 48 hours of the Freeh Report.

I was comparing quality of product to people willing to buy it. The football will suck, but there's still enough people who will deck themselves out in blue and white and yell "WE ARE PENN STATE!" regardless.

And I wasn't expecting a punishment, but at least...something. Hell, Eisenhower had two speeches prepared for D-Day. You'd think they'd have some sort of contingency plan.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
This thread needs more World War II comparisons.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 13, 2012, 12:50:56 PM

Fine.

Maybe they're fueling up the plane as we speak.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 13, 2012, 12:55:13 PM

Fine.

Hasn't Penn State seen enough Little Boys already?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 01:19:06 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 13, 2012, 01:09:32 PM
Quote from: Brownie on July 13, 2012, 12:55:13 PM

Fine.

Hasn't Penn State seen enough Little Boys already?

Thrill wins.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »
I wouldn't say the NCAA's response counts as deafening silence.  If you read the questions they posed to Penn State, it's copied almost word for word from the Freeh report.  Sort of like how the Soviets eventually used German strategic and operational concepts for mechanized warfare and combined arms operations against the Germans themselves on the Eastern Front.

I'm not certain that the NCAA will do the right thing, but it's a bit early in the process to say that it will only be a slap on the wrist.  Let's see how it plays out.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2012, 01:37:45 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on July 13, 2012, 01:19:59 PM
I wouldn't say the NCAA's response counts as deafening silence.  If you read the questions they posed to Penn State, it's copied almost word for word from the Freeh report.  Sort of like how the Soviets eventually used German strategic and operational concepts for mechanized warfare and combined arms operations against the Germans themselves on the Eastern Front.

I'm not certain that the NCAA will do the right thing, but it's a bit early in the process to say that it will only be a slap on the wrist.  Let's see how it plays out.

The NCAA letter was written last November when the shit hit the fan.

Presumably, Penn State was waiting for their own investigation (led by Freeh) to be completed before responding. Hence: "Penn State's response to the letter will inform our next steps, including whether or not to take further action."

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 13, 2012, 12:46:17 PM
Look at USC for an example of the efficacy of NCAA sanctions.  So they missed out on some postseason games.  It made no dent whatsoever on their ability to recruit many of the best high school players nationwide.  Skeptic that I am, my conclusion is that sanctions for recruiting violations function as advertising for the cheating institutions.

Penn State and USC have no equivalency, unless you'd like to argue that potential recruits look at going to the school where Reggie Bush took gifts and cash the same way they'll look at playing at the school where the locker room shower stalls were the site of multiple rapes of pre-adolescent boys.

I am not trying to compare the schools or the reasons for sanctions.  If a recruit needs the NCAA to inform him of what happened at Penn State that recruit is so dumb that he is already a candidate for USC.  What I believe is the case is that NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations may have the undesired effect of tipping recruits off about where to look to get a good deal.  
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 13, 2012, 01:41:20 PM

I am not trying to compare the schools or the reasons for sanctions.  If a recruit needs the NCAA to inform him of what happened at Penn State that recruit is so dumb that he is already a candidate for USC.  What I believe is the case is that NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations may have the undesired effect of tipping recruits off about where to look to get a good deal.  

Well, if any potential football recruits are looking to get raped with impunity by an older man, I guess now they know where to shop.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 13, 2012, 01:50:51 PM

Well, if any potential football recruits are looking to get raped with impunity by an older man, I guess now they know where to shop.
It is probably a small group, but I wouldn't bet against its existence.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 13, 2012, 02:06:58 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 13, 2012, 01:50:51 PM

It is probably a small group, but I wouldn't bet against its existence.

A small group like Stalin, Roosevelt, and Churchill at Yalta?

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 13, 2012, 12:21:35 PM
(TPD)

Quote from: Fork on July 13, 2012, 09:24:36 AMAs i said earlier:

QuoteBesides, both the NCAA and Big 10 have too large a vested interest in Penn State.

How much of a vested interest does the NCAA really have in a neutered Penn State that's lost its legendary head coach and that can't recruit worth shit? Honest question.

According to ESPN, Penn State 2013 class in #14 in the NCAA -- better than recent efforts. Granted all of those players committed before the Freeh report came out, but is there much in the report that was shocking enough to change the mind of someone, given what was known before the report?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on July 13, 2012, 07:34:10 PM
(TPD)

QuoteBesides, both the NCAA and Big 10 have too large a vested interest in Penn State.

How much of a vested interest does the NCAA really have in a neutered Penn State that's lost its legendary head coach and that can't recruit worth shit? Honest question.

According to ESPN, Penn State 2013 class in #14 in the NCAA -- better than recent efforts. Granted all of those players committed before the Freeh report came out, but is there much in the report that was shocking enough to change the mind of someone, given what was known before the report?

Seriously, that's a pretty fucking disheartening fact, not just because the kids have stayed the course since the verdict, or even the indictment, but because recruiters from other schools weren't able to poach the shit out of them.  How hard would that have been?

Dude you're still planning on going to Penn State?  Seriously? 

*sighs*

Look--I gotta be honest.  And  this is for your sake--you do what you think is best, of course.  But you need to look out for yourself and I'm concerned--I'm just saying this for your sake--I'm just concerned for you that you're not looking out for yourself.  Okay?

Look--if that thing gets worse over there, and you still haven't begun to make other plans, you can realistically miss out totally--and I'm not talking about here, at our school.  How many slots do you really think are available right now for next Fall? You're going to be playing fucking Division III while half your incoming class at Penn State will be on TV every Saturday, playing for other D-1 schools, laughing at you. 

Think about it and call me if you want, man. I really hope you make the right call, for your sake.  You're a good kid and I like you. Good luck either way.  I'm here if you want to talk, okay?

Granted, if that shit was recorded Bruce Pearl-style, maybe it's not kosher.  It's certainly manipulative--but isn't that a recruiter's job?  How have kids not begun to defect since last Fall?  I'm honestly wondering.

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 08:28:14 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 13, 2012, 07:55:00 PM
Quote from: Shooter on July 13, 2012, 07:34:10 PM
(TPD)

Seriously, that's a pretty fucking disheartening fact, not just because the kids have stayed the course since the verdict, or even the indictment, but because recruiters from other schools weren't able to poach the shit out of them.  How hard would that have been?

Dude you're still planning on going to Penn State?  Seriously? 

*sighs*

Look--I gotta be honest.  And  this is for your sake--you do what you think is best, of course.  But you need to look out for yourself and I'm concerned--I'm just saying this for your sake--I'm just concerned for you that you're not looking out for yourself.  Okay?

Look--if that thing gets worse over there, and you still haven't begun to make other plans, you can realistically miss out totally--and I'm not talking about here, at our school.  How many slots do you really think are available right now for next Fall? You're going to be playing fucking Division III while half your incoming class at Penn State will be on TV every Saturday, playing for other D-1 schools, laughing at you. 

Think about it and call me if you want, man. I really hope you make the right call, for your sake.  You're a good kid and I like you. Good luck either way.  I'm here if you want to talk, okay?

Granted, if that shit was recorded Bruce Pearl-style, maybe it's not kosher.  It's certainly manipulative--but isn't that a recruiter's job?  How have kids not begun to defect since last Fall?  I'm honestly wondering.

You missed the part about how many black people live in DeKalb. I'm guessing a handful.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.