News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Kyle Schwarber 2016 Watch  ( 13,420 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Kyle Schwarber 2016 Watch
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2016, 03:50:14 PM »
He's going to his 70 home runs next year, isn't he?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 03, 2016, 03:50:14 PM

Probably by the All-Star break.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2016, 03:53:24 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 03, 2016, 03:50:14 PM

And they will all be his.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2016, 07:53:15 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 02, 2016, 03:06:06 PM
He definitely wouldn't be able to play a capable outfield by this fall (it was debatable if he could before the injury), so there's no way the benefit of having him for a few games as a DH in a theoretical World Series outweighs the long-term risk of rushing him back.

There's no way, man. There's just no way.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2016, 08:51:27 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 15, 2016, 07:53:15 AM
He definitely wouldn't be able to play a capable outfield by this fall (it was debatable if he could before the injury), so there's no way the benefit of having him for a few games as a DH in a theoretical World Series outweighs the long-term risk of rushing him back.

Quote from: Eli on June 02, 2016, 08:06:08 PM
Quote from: PANK! on June 02, 2016, 04:17:16 PM

/thread

You know, I don't actually mind the thread. I guess there's technically a non-zero chance something could happen, so now we have a place to post updates and hope on it.

We've certainly had worse threads. Hundreds and hundreds of them.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2016, 08:56:10 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 15, 2016, 08:51:27 AM

/thread

You know, I don't actually mind the thread. I guess there's technically a non-zero chance something could happen, so now we have a place to post updates and hope on it.

I still can't believe we ended up with the A's/Brewers World Series.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2016, 10:22:22 AM »

/thread

In my view, Schwarber's potential as a 3rd-string catcher would continue to give this team some bonkers versatility. When he got injured I thought no way should he attempt to catch again but that may have been just a raw and irrational reaction to his injury.  In fact his knee is brand-new, he's still young, and he could still do it a couple dozen times a year without detriment to him or the team, right?  Does anyone dismiss this out of hand?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on November 15, 2016, 10:22:22 AM

/thread

In my view, Schwarber's potential as a 3rd-string catcher would continue to give this team some bonkers versatility. When he got injured I thought no way should he attempt to catch again but that may have been just a raw and irrational reaction to his injury.  In fact his knee is brand-new, he's still young, and he could still do it a couple dozen times a year without detriment to him or the team, right?  Does anyone dismiss this out of hand?

I certainly don't. I think the Cubs are probably thinking Miggy catches Jake, Schwarber catches one guy and Contreras catches the other three.

Before he blew out his knee this year, the plan was Ross/Lester, Schwarber/Hammel and Montero/Jake, Hendricks, Lackey.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2016, 12:06:27 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 15, 2016, 12:02:23 PM

/thread

I certainly don't. I think the Cubs are probably thinking Miggy catches Jake, Schwarber catches one guy and Contreras catches the other three.

Before he blew out his knee this year, the plan was Ross/Lester, Schwarber/Hammel and Montero/Jake, Hendricks, Lackey.

Assuming that's the case, it would be good to pair him with a lefty (e.g. Montgomery) who would mitigate some of Schwarbs' defensive liabilities.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2016, 01:05:40 PM »

/thread

I've never been a huge fan of him catching at all because I think it shortens careers but I clearly know nothing, so if they want him to catch 30-40 games a year, great.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2016, 01:08:48 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 15, 2016, 01:05:40 PM

/thread

I've never been a huge fan of him catching at all because I think it shortens careers but I clearly know nothing, so if they want him to catch 30-40 games a year, great.

I think I'm fine with them shortening his career because odds are he's probably only got a good 3-5 seasons (who knows with the knee injury) of being able to play LF regularly, and they may have to trade him after that to an AL team. So if they can squeeze as much value out of him as possible during that time frame by I also having him catch once a week or whatever I say do it and let some AL team deal with the consequences when he's their DH.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015