News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Descendants  ( 2,691 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Descendants
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »
It is good, every so often, to see a movie made for grownups.  George Clooney knows how to make a good movie.  I once thought there there was no such thing as a bad Steve Martin movie.  Boy, did he prove me wrong.  I have transferred that characterization to George Clooney movies.  Yes, I know.  The "Oceans" franchise was stupid.  But you have to admit that there were no pretensions about it.  They were only meant to be entertaining and they were.  But "O Brother Where Are You", "Michael Clayton" and the movie last year about the assassin in Italy, (I can't remember the title).  Not just entertaining, they were very good movies.  This movie is about a very ordinary man, who happens to be the beneficiary of a trust, along with his cousins, of a very large and beautiful piece of land owned by his Hawaiian royal ancestors before they started marrying Haolies.  Are they going to sell the property to local developers who will put up a resort and a golf course or to Mainlanders who will bring in a WalMart and a bowling alley?  No. That is not the drama.  His wife is critically injured in a boating accident before the titles come on at the beginning, and while he is mourning for her, he learns something about her from his daughter.  (No spoiler)   The movie is about how he deals with what he learns.  You have by now fully identified with him, so it is about how you would deal with what he learns.  Does he screw up big time?  A little bit?  Or not at all?  It is up to you to decide.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Descendants
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 10:15:18 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 21, 2012, 08:59:40 PM
It is good, every so often, to see a movie made for grownups.  George Clooney knows how to make a good movie.  I once thought there there was no such thing as a bad Steve Martin movie.  Boy, did he prove me wrong.  I have transferred that characterization to George Clooney movies. 

Sounds like someone needs to see "The Men Who Stare At Goats".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:04:44 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 21, 2012, 10:15:18 PM
It is good, every so often, to see a movie made for grownups.  George Clooney knows how to make a good movie.  I once thought there there was no such thing as a bad Steve Martin movie.  Boy, did he prove me wrong.  I have transferred that characterization to George Clooney movies. 

"Burn After Reading"
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on January 22, 2012, 02:04:44 AM

"Burn After Reading"

Yeah?  Well I'll see your "Men Who Stare" and raise you "Up In The Air"!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »

"Burn After Reading"

"Burn After Reading" was a fine movie as long as you didn't expect to much from it.

I.e., if you didn't expect it to be another "No Country for Old Men."
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 22, 2012, 11:47:11 AM
It is good, every so often, to see a movie made for grownups.  George Clooney knows how to make a good movie.  I once thought there there was no such thing as a bad Steve Martin movie.  Boy, did he prove me wrong.  I have transferred that characterization to George Clooney movies.  

"Burn After Reading"

"Burn After Reading" was a fine movie as long as you didn't expect to much from it.

It was a steaming pile of lazy shit like 30-40% of Coen Bros movies that work to discount great work like Fargo and No Country.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on January 22, 2012, 03:42:22 PM
It is good, every so often, to see a movie made for grownups.  George Clooney knows how to make a good movie.  I once thought there there was no such thing as a bad Steve Martin movie.  Boy, did he prove me wrong.  I have transferred that characterization to George Clooney movies.  

"Burn After Reading"

It was a steaming pile of lazy shit like 30-40% of Coen Bros movies that work to discount great work like Fargo and No Country.

So... 30-40% of the Coens' 15 films (that is, 5 or 6 of them) are not just "not as good as Fargo" or "merely average" or even "meh" or "sub-par", but actually "steaming piles of lazy shit"?

I'm gonna go with a simple "wrong" on this one.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 22, 2012, 04:49:08 PM
Quote from: PenPho on January 22, 2012, 03:42:22 PM

"Burn After Reading"

So... 30-40% of the Coens' 15 films (that is, 5 or 6 of them) are not just "not as good as Fargo" or "merely average" or even "meh" or "sub-par", but actually "steaming piles of lazy shit"?

I'm gonna go with a simple "wrong" on this one.

"No, Pen."
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 03:15:38 AM »
Watched this with the missus and really quite enjoyed it.  It's Chadpoison - you know... thoughtful, subtle, moving.  Clooney is outstanding - thoroughly, thoroughly credible.  Also, the girl who plays his oldest daughter (Shailene Woodley - it's okay, I checked, she's 20) is seriously cute and spends a fair portion of the film in a bikini.  So, that was nice.

Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:21:30 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 23, 2012, 03:15:38 AM
it's okay, I checked, she's 20

Before you ogled her? Or before you admitted to ogling her?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 23, 2012, 08:21:30 AM
Quote from: Tonker on July 23, 2012, 03:15:38 AM
it's okay, I checked, she's 20

Before you ogled her? Or before you admitted to ogling her?

During.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 11:11:10 AM »
I like how Tinker acts like he isn't a big Secret Life of the American Teenager fan

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
I liked this movie
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 23, 2012, 11:39:03 AM
I liked this movie

Really?  Seriously?  Really?