News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 363,747 )

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #1530 on: July 15, 2014, 04:05:36 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 15, 2014, 04:02:07 PM
Quote from: Bort on July 15, 2014, 03:59:23 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 15, 2014, 03:58:25 PM
Quote from: Bort on July 15, 2014, 03:55:47 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 15, 2014, 03:53:56 PM
So is the thought that the Cubs would trade for him and then hope for an extension (which seems dumb unless they plan to go for a title next year)? Or just wait to sign him when he's a free agent? Spending a likely $150 million+ for a pitcher who will turn 31 in the first year of the deal is kind of terrifying, given all of the pitcher injuries recently.

TIME TO ELI.

So is having opinions on baseball my meme now?

Whoa. Slow down. Being butthurt is Apex's thing.

This is not TIME TO ELI. Giving a 100+ million contract to a veteran pitcher is always risky. He didn't shit on any prospects or Epstink/Hoyer. Let's be more careful about our meme usage.

Yeah, I think Eli has a point here.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1531 on: July 15, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »
So is the thought that the Cubs would trade for him and then hope for an extension (which seems dumb unless they plan to go for a title next year)? Or just wait to sign him when he's a free agent? Spending a likely $150 million+ for a pitcher who will turn 31 in the first year of the deal is kind of terrifying, given all of the pitcher injuries recently.

TIME TO ELI.

This is not TIME TO ELI. Giving a 100+ million contract to a veteran pitcher is always risky. He didn't shit on any prospects or Epstink/Hoyer. Let's be more careful about our meme usage.

Back to Eli's initial question, I think it depends on whether or not Theo & Jed think that having a TRUE ACE gives you a significant incremental chance to win in the crapshoot that is the playoffs. If they think it does, then the nice thing about being absolutely stacked with low-cost (for at least the next few years) position players is that you've got room in the payroll to give a pitcher a huge payday, knowing that you'll only get 2 or 3 years of actual TRUE ACE production, and the back end will be offset by selling dick cream ads on the new jumbotrons.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1532 on: July 15, 2014, 04:10:57 PM »

TIME TO ELI.

Eh. I think at this point "TIME TO ELI" means to do anything besides post a minor-league box score and say "Splooge." after it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1533 on: July 15, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 15, 2014, 04:10:57 PM

TIME TO ELI.

Eh. I think at this point "TIME TO ELI" means to do anything besides post a minor-league box score and say "Splooge." after it.

Yeah but TIME TO ELI was funny

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1534 on: July 15, 2014, 04:22:36 PM »

The Cubs aren't buyers on veteran players - they'd wind up having to give up something pretty much equal to the take they got for Snork & Hammels in order to land Price.

But you have to believe players on the big-league level can see what is happening with the Cubs, and know that within 5 years they have the opportunity to be in a group of guys who will never have to buy a drink or dinner in this city ever again.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1535 on: July 15, 2014, 04:22:47 PM »

Okay, let's take the trade part off the table, because that part doesn't work - no need to trade prospects when you're not contending for a top of the line guy.  

Assuming we're talking free agency, then yeah, I'm all for it.  A few reasons:

1. I know this is cliched, but it's not my money, so I don't care.
2. We were fully prepared to shell out for 29-yer old Samardzija, this doesn't feel that different compared with that.
3. Bronson Arroyo aside, isn't a 31-year old pitcher safer than a 25-year old pitcher?
4. GREAT PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY FOR THE CUBS
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1536 on: July 15, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 15, 2014, 04:22:47 PM

Okay, let's take the trade part off the table, because that part doesn't work - no need to trade prospects when you're not contending for a top of the line guy.  

Assuming we're talking free agency, then yeah, I'm all for it.  A few reasons:

2. We were fully prepared to shell out for 29-yer old Samardzija, this doesn't feel that different compared with that.
3. Bronson Arroyo aside, isn't a 31-year old pitcher safer than a 25-year old pitcher?

If he's an FA signing I'm all for it. I'm not a fan of trading for him. And you're right - they wouldn't trade for him because they have no reason to. Price, on the other hand, has every reason to become an FA considering the pay day that is most assuredly waiting for him.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1537 on: July 15, 2014, 04:26:07 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 15, 2014, 04:19:12 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 15, 2014, 04:10:57 PM

TIME TO ELI.

Yeah but TIME TO ELI was funny

Seriously, guys. Lighten up.  Also, can't it just be fun that good players might actually want to play here?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1538 on: July 15, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 15, 2014, 04:24:54 PM

Assuming we're talking free agency, then yeah, I'm all for it.  A few reasons:

If he's an FA signing I'm all for it. I'm not a fan of trading for him. And you're right - they wouldn't trade for him because they have no reason to. Price, on the other hand, has every reason to become an FA considering the pay day that is most assuredly waiting for him.

There is a reason to trade prospects for him (or anyone for that matter): The likelihood of every prospect panning out is pretty low. The trick is to properly evaluate which ones pan out or to trade for a guy who helps win you a title.

Like some guy did in trading Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez for Josh Beckett.  Heavy price to pay, but good trade.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1539 on: July 15, 2014, 04:43:31 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 15, 2014, 04:39:30 PM

There is a reason to trade prospects for him (or anyone for that matter): The likelihood of every prospect panning out is pretty low. The trick is to properly evaluate which ones pan out or to trade for a guy who helps win you a title.

Like some guy did in trading Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez for Josh Beckett.  Heavy price to pay, but good trade.

The Red Sox traded their prospects for Josh Beckett because they were on the verge of the winning the World Series and needed a proven ace.
When the Red Sox traded for Beckett, he was 2 years removed from winning World Series MVP against the Yankees, which was pretty important in their desire for him. 

Pretty big leap to justify that for the Cubs in 2015.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1540 on: July 15, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 15, 2014, 04:43:31 PM

The Red Sox traded their prospects for Josh Beckett because they were on the verge of the winning the World Series and needed a proven ace.
When the Red Sox traded for Beckett, he was 2 years removed from winning World Series MVP against the Yankees, which was pretty important in their desire for him. 

Yeah and that's the only season we're talking about since he walks after 2015. Unless Chuck thinks the Cubs are going to win the World Series next year. I'd like to smoke some of that Manischevitz.

Why trade for the guy and then sign him to a new deal? Just wait. Keep your assets. Worst case scenario is he doesn't sign with the Cubs. Big deal.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1541 on: July 15, 2014, 05:09:02 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 15, 2014, 04:46:35 PM

Yeah and that's the only season we're talking about since he walks after 2015. Unless Chuck thinks the Cubs are going to win the World Series next year. I'd like to smoke some of that Manischevitz.

Why trade for the guy and then sign him to a new deal? Just wait. Keep your assets. Worst case scenario is he doesn't sign with the Cubs. Big deal.

It all depends on who is available when.  If you can get a Price now and no one appears to be available even approaching this quality in the next two years or so, you get him now.  That's exactly why Theo bid on Sanchez 2 years ago and Tanaka this year: They were available.

I've got no problem hoarding the prospects.  But if they trade 2 guys for Price and sign Lester in 2015 knowing they are going to be .500 now and go for it in 2016, I'd eat 2015's salary cost in a heartbeat. Especially since payroll for 2015 is only $31mm at present and probably around $50mm with arbitration calculated.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1542 on: July 15, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 15, 2014, 05:09:02 PM
Quote from: Slaky on July 15, 2014, 04:46:35 PM

It all depends on who is available when.  If you can get a Price now and no one appears to be available even approaching this quality in the next two years or so, you get him now.  That's exactly why Theo bid on Sanchez 2 years ago and Tanaka this year: They were available.

I've got no problem hoarding the prospects.  But if they trade 2 guys for Price and sign Lester in 2015 knowing they are going to be .500 now and go for it in 2016, I'd eat 2015's salary cost in a heartbeat. Especially since payroll for 2015 is only $31mm at present and probably around $50mm with arbitration calculated.

Let's not forget this is how you end up with Edwin Jackson on a 4-year, $52 million contract for a team that sucks.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1543 on: July 15, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 15, 2014, 03:39:25 PM
David Price told reporters that winning a championship with the Cubs would be "the coolest."

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/david-price-winning-world-series-cubs-would-be-coolest?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Quote"Winning absolutely is something you want to do," Price told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "Being a part of something special is also something you want to do. You can take that to a first-place team. You could take that all the way to a last-place team like the Cubs. With the talent they have coming up they could be a very special team in a few years as well. That would probably be the coolest city to win a championship in. They haven't done it in I'm not sure how long. To do that there that would be the coolest city to win a championship in right now."

Anyone here feel like looking that up?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1544 on: July 15, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 15, 2014, 08:15:35 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on July 15, 2014, 03:39:25 PM
David Price told reporters that winning a championship with the Cubs would be "the coolest."

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/david-price-winning-world-series-cubs-would-be-coolest?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Quote"Winning absolutely is something you want to do," Price told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "Being a part of something special is also something you want to do. You can take that to a first-place team. You could take that all the way to a last-place team like the Cubs. With the talent they have coming up they could be a very special team in a few years as well. That would probably be the coolest city to win a championship in. They haven't done it in I'm not sure how long. To do that there that would be the coolest city to win a championship in right now."

Anyone here feel like looking that up?

How old was Stew?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck