News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 363,579 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #1860 on: November 03, 2014, 08:55:02 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 03, 2014, 08:44:40 AM
It may be new to baseball, but in the rest of the workforce, I'm pretty sure people get fired for someone better all of the time.

Full disclosure--while the person whom I replaced in Chicago 2.5 years ago was not fired (she eventually quit) I had been approached about the possibility of replacing her when she was still in the position.  A very delicate situation to be sure, but she was so goddamn incompetent a provisional succession had to be employed.

It happens. A lot.

What's with all of this anonymous butthurt BTW?  It's making my sack itch.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1861 on: November 03, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 03, 2014, 08:55:02 AM
It may be new to baseball, but in the rest of the workforce, I'm pretty sure people get fired for someone better all of the time.

Full disclosure--while the person whom I replaced in Chicago 2.5 years ago was not fired (she eventually quit) I had been approached about the possibility of replacing her when she was still in the position.  A very delicate situation to be sure, but she was so goddamn incompetent a provisional succession had to be employed.

It happens. A lot.

Huey is now Joe Maddon? This is great. Thanks for sharing.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1862 on: November 03, 2014, 08:58:30 AM »
Quote from: BH on November 03, 2014, 08:57:34 AM

It happens. A lot.

Fork and I will be opening a consulting firm wherein I discuss employment strategies and he consults on recovery time for injuries.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1863 on: November 03, 2014, 09:01:36 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 03, 2014, 08:58:30 AM
Quote from: BH on November 03, 2014, 08:57:34 AM

It happens. A lot.

Fork and I will be opening a consulting firm wherein I discuss employment strategies and he consults on recovery time for injuries.

I just jotted down some notes that if anyone ever asks me for the Joe Maddon of university application work, I got their guy.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1864 on: November 14, 2014, 08:46:42 AM »
BP Top Ten:
SS Addison Russell
3B Kris Bryant
OF Jorge Soler
OF Albert Almora
C Kyle Schwarber
OF Billy McKinney
RHP Pierce Johnson
SS Gleyber Torres
1B Dan Vogelbach
LHP Carson Sands

I can post additional info from the article.... or you can remember my original desipio username and "hjeforall"

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1865 on: November 14, 2014, 08:49:09 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 14, 2014, 08:46:42 AM
BP Top Ten:
SS Addison Russell
3B Kris Bryant
OF Jorge Soler
OF Albert Almora
C Kyle Schwarber
OF Billy McKinney
RHP Pierce Johnson
SS Gleyber Torres
1B Dan Vogelbach
LHP Carson Sands

I can post additional info from the article.... or you can remember my original desipio username and "hjeforall"

No CJ Edwards?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1866 on: November 14, 2014, 08:54:32 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 14, 2014, 08:49:09 AM
BP Top Ten:
SS Addison Russell
3B Kris Bryant
OF Jorge Soler
OF Albert Almora
C Kyle Schwarber
OF Billy McKinney
RHP Pierce Johnson
SS Gleyber Torres
1B Dan Vogelbach
LHP Carson Sands

No CJ Edwards?

Included in "Factors on the Farm (Prospects likely to contribute at the ML level in 2015)" and is the first listed there

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1867 on: November 14, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »
BP Top Ten:
SS Addison Russell
3B Kris Bryant
OF Jorge Soler
OF Albert Almora
C Kyle Schwarber
OF Billy McKinney
RHP Pierce Johnson
SS Gleyber Torres
1B Dan Vogelbach
LHP Carson Sands

No CJ Edwards?

He's going to be a reliever. Probably a very good one, but that's not top 10 material.

I think they intended Russell over Bryant to be a big shock, but I think it's totally justifiable. Almora in the 4th spot is just dumb.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1868 on: November 14, 2014, 09:02:09 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 14, 2014, 08:57:58 AM
BP Top Ten:
SS Addison Russell
3B Kris Bryant
OF Jorge Soler
OF Albert Almora
C Kyle Schwarber
OF Billy McKinney
RHP Pierce Johnson
SS Gleyber Torres
1B Dan Vogelbach
LHP Carson Sands

No CJ Edwards?

He's going to be a reliever. Probably a very good one, but that's not top 10 material.

I think they intended Russell over Bryant to be a big shock, but I think it's totally justifiable. Almora in the 4th spot is just dumb.

Scouts and everyone who has ever met/watched Almora rave about him despite his putrid numbers. I mean, I get that if he reaches his "ceiling" he's going to be great value in center field but it seems like there should be more concern than there is about just how awful he was last year. I hope he can bounce back but ranking him #4 as is seems a bit optimistic. 
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1869 on: November 14, 2014, 09:11:11 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 14, 2014, 09:02:09 AM
Scouts and everyone who has ever met/watched Almora rave about him despite his putrid numbers. I mean, I get that if he reaches his "ceiling" he's going to be great value in center field but it seems like there should be more concern than there is about just how awful he was last year. I hope he can bounce back but ranking him #4 as is seems a bit optimistic. 

After watching the Royals this year, I love the idea of a guy who can go catch everything in center field, but the value of that skill is wasted in Wrigley's tiny outfield. And for this ranking, it's like they're just pretending his last 500 at-bats never happened.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1870 on: November 14, 2014, 09:12:24 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 14, 2014, 08:57:58 AM
BP Top Ten:
SS Addison Russell
3B Kris Bryant
OF Jorge Soler
OF Albert Almora
C Kyle Schwarber
OF Billy McKinney
RHP Pierce Johnson
SS Gleyber Torres
1B Dan Vogelbach
LHP Carson Sands

No CJ Edwards?

I was surprised to see him move up to AA when he did. But he turns 21 in April, and he's got a reputation for working hard and listening to his coaches. I think he'll come in and handle AA pitching a lot better this spring.

I'm even more surprised none of the studly arms from Kane County made this list.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1871 on: November 14, 2014, 09:13:03 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 14, 2014, 09:11:11 AM

After watching the Royals this year, I love the idea of a guy who can go catch everything in center field, but the value of that skill is wasted in Wrigley's tiny outfield. And for this ranking, it's like they're just pretending his last 500 at-bats never happened.

Even Sahedev had that comment that day on twitter (that I saw you take umbrage to) about fans "scouting the stat line".  Minor league numbers are obviously to be taken with a  grain of salt in either direction but a sub .600 OPS over that many at bats is pretty damn concerning.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1872 on: November 14, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »
What it comes down is there are multiple guys that you can say could be on the top 10 list. I don't recall ever giving a shit about anyone beyond the top 2-3.

This is remarkable.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1873 on: November 14, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 14, 2014, 09:16:58 AM
What it comes down is there are multiple guys that you can say could be on the top 10 list. I don't recall ever giving a shit about anyone beyond the top 2-3.

Except for the days when Bobby Brownlie, Luke Hagerty, Chad Blasko and Andrew Sisco were going to MAKE IT RAIN.

Ahhh...what an awful fucking time in retrospect...

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1874 on: November 14, 2014, 09:24:18 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 14, 2014, 09:13:03 AM
Even Sahedev had that comment that day on twitter (that I saw you take umbrage to) about fans "scouting the stat line".

And I still take umbrage -- umbrage, I say! -- to it.