News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 363,625 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #300 on: July 08, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »
Quote from: R-V on July 08, 2013, 01:28:56 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on July 08, 2013, 12:54:18 PM
DPD, I don't know if someone else posted the rules/penalties for exceeding the international cap (it would probably take 14 seconds to check, but alas) but Ben Badler explained them a bit back. 

Crazy Rumor guy says the Cubs are likely to be 10%+ over if they sign Tseng, which would mean "a 100% tax on the overage and, more importantly, a $500K per player cap in the 2014-15 spending period."

I think the point (and this was probably also mentioned somewhere else) is that either the Cubs are done fucking around, or they particularly love this class.

That's probably it. Or if you really want to chug Theo & Jed's dong, you could guess that they were the only ones to figure out this was the best way to stockpile high-level talent, so they're carrying out their pool-exploding plan in a very short time period, before other teams catch on and do the same.

Gordon "Summer's Eve" Wittenmyer said last week that the Cubs like this year's pool enough to pay the penalties.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #301 on: July 08, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 08, 2013, 01:36:42 PM
DPD, I don't know if someone else posted the rules/penalties for exceeding the international cap (it would probably take 14 seconds to check, but alas) but Ben Badler explained them a bit back. 

Crazy Rumor guy says the Cubs are likely to be 10%+ over if they sign Tseng, which would mean "a 100% tax on the overage and, more importantly, a $500K per player cap in the 2014-15 spending period."

I think the point (and this was probably also mentioned somewhere else) is that either the Cubs are done fucking around, or they particularly love this class.

That's probably it. Or if you really want to chug Theo & Jed's dong, you could guess that they were the only ones to figure out this was the best way to stockpile high-level talent, so they're carrying out their pool-exploding plan in a very short time period, before other teams catch on and do the same.

Gordon "Summer's Eve" Wittenmyer said last week that the Cubs like this year's pool enough to pay the penalties.
Given that most of the high payroll guys are going away, and they only need to spend big bux on Cano, they can afford to pay the luxury tax.  The loss of Marmol alone will more than cover the tax.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #302 on: July 08, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 08, 2013, 02:08:59 PM

Given that most of the high payroll guys are going away, and they only need to spend big bux on Cano, they can afford to pay the luxury tax.  The loss of Marmol alone will more than cover the tax.

I don't think the tax was the big concern, it was the $500K cap/guy in 2014.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #303 on: July 08, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 08, 2013, 02:10:35 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 08, 2013, 02:08:59 PM

I don't think the tax was the big concern, it was the $500K cap/guy in 2014.

Exactly. I don't think they care about the money, it's just that they must think next year's class isn't worth spending more than half a million per guy for.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #304 on: July 08, 2013, 05:51:09 PM »
Everything is coming up #Cubes.

After a lengthy delay, Cubs righthander Juan Carlos Paniagua has received his visa and is in Arizona.

More analysis.

When he signed, there were numerous reports about just how good he was and how quickly he could move up the Cubs' system. Some folks even said he instantly became the Cubs' best pitching prospect.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #305 on: July 08, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »
Cubs place three in the top 20 on Baseball America's Midseason Prospect list.

1. Byron Buxton, of, Twins
2. Oscar Taveras, of, Satanic Fowl
3. Miguel Sano, 3b, Twins
4. Xander Bogaerts, ss, Red Sox
5. Francisco Lindor, ss, Indians
6. Archie Bradley, rhp, Diamondbacks
7. Taijuan Walker, rhp, Mariners
8. Christian Yelich, of, Marlins
9. Carlos Correa, ss, Astros
10. Javier Baez, ss, Cubs
QuoteEarlier this year became second Florida State Leaguer to hit four home runs in one game.
11. Jameson Taillon, rhp, Pirates
12. Michael Wacha, rhp, Satanic Fowl
13. Gregory Polanco, of, Pirates
14. Tyler Skaggs, lhp, Diamondbacks
15. Nick Castellanos, of, Tigers
16. Albert Almora, of, Cubs
QuoteMissed first month with hamate injury, but has made up for lost time since returning.
17. Dylan Bundy, rhp, Orioles
18. Jorge Soler, of, Cubs
QuoteWill miss two months with stress fracture in leg, but talent is too good to ignore.
19. Addison Russell, ss, Athletics
20. George Springer, of, Astros

Those are the only Cubs on the list, which totals 50.  If Bryant had signed by this point he might have made it in there somewhere.*

Friggin' prospects.  Give me Jeff Francoeur any day.

* Actually no.  I just read the chat transcript and BA's policy is not to include current draftees.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #306 on: July 08, 2013, 11:28:16 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 08, 2013, 11:25:32 PM

Of course they are prospects. They are still alive.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2013, 11:34:57 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 08, 2013, 11:28:16 PM

Don't cross him off yet!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #308 on: July 09, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 08, 2013, 11:34:57 PM

Don't cross him off yet!

Kenny Hubbs is a perfect example of why the Cubs should never rely on prospects.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #309 on: July 09, 2013, 08:19:27 AM »

<snip>

Those are the only Cubs on the list, which totals 50.  If Bryant had signed by this point he might have made it in there somewhere.*

* Actually no.  I just read the chat transcript and BA's policy is not to include current draftees.

How depressing is it to watch the Cardinals and their best-record-in-baseball-positive-122-run-differential while also knowing they probably have the best farm system in the game?

Really depressing, guys. It's really depressing.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #310 on: July 09, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »
Quote from: Eli on July 09, 2013, 08:19:27 AM

<snip>

How depressing is it to watch the Cardinals and their best-record-in-baseball-positive-122-run-differential while also knowing they probably have the best farm system in the game?

Prospects don't matter.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #311 on: July 09, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »

<snip>

And now they're about to clarify Ty Wigginton's role.

It's like they're intentionally trying to demoralize the Cubs.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #312 on: July 09, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 09, 2013, 10:40:47 AM

<snip>

I find it increasingly difficult to hate the Cardinals these days. Now that the Cubs aren't competitive and Pujols and LaRussa are dead, there's not much to detest. The fans, yes. But our fans are no better on the whole. I've become ambivalent to every team in baseball except the Cubs because I enjoy watching games at Wrigley and sometimes the Sox, because they smell really bad.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #313 on: July 09, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 09, 2013, 10:58:21 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on July 09, 2013, 10:40:47 AM

<snip>

I find it increasingly difficult to hate the Cardinals these days. Now that the Cubs aren't competitive and Pujols and LaRussa are dead, there's not much to detest. The fans, yes. But our fans are no better on the whole. I've become ambivalent to every team in baseball except the Cubs because I enjoy watching games at Wrigley and sometimes the Sox, because they smell really bad.

Apparently clarify = release. 

Awaiting Al's post to sign Wigginton in 3....2....

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #314 on: July 09, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
Quote from: Fork on July 09, 2013, 07:53:33 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 08, 2013, 11:34:57 PM

Don't cross him off yet!

Kenny Hubbs is a perfect example of why the Cubs should never rely on prospects.

No, Fork.