News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 363,517 )

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2775 on: July 01, 2015, 08:33:46 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 01, 2015, 08:26:59 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 01, 2015, 08:09:45 AM
Donnie Dewees is 6 for 20 with 4 2B, 2 BB and 3 K.

Ian Happ is at .262/.396/.524/.920 with 2 2B, 3 HR, 4 SB, 10 BB and 12 K.

Gleybor Torres at .320/.387/.414/.801 with 12 2B, 3 3B, 2 HR, 28 BB and 60 K.

Carson Sands threw 6 good innings yesterday. His ERA is 2.81 and WHIP under 0.9 in 16 IP.

That's a very, very nice start for Happ.

Yeah, this college hitter talent accumulation is a good strategy. Happ is 20, Dewees is 21. I hope they can finish the year in South Bend or Myrtle Beach. Dewees is a first round talent from most accounts...good job, Cubs.

Anybody know anything more about the 3rd rounder?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2776 on: July 24, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »
Welp, Ian Happ has been promoted to South Bend. Donnie Dewees has hit his first professional HR as well.

Happ: .283/.408/.491/.898 4 HR, 11 RBI, 8 2B, 1 3B with 23 BB and 28 K. Whoa.

Dewees: .230/.297/.340/.637 1 HR, 11 RBI, 8 2B, 9 BB and 21 K.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2777 on: July 24, 2015, 09:14:48 AM »

When does Chesny Young become a thing?

42 straight games of reaching base seems like a significant amount.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2778 on: July 24, 2015, 09:34:14 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 24, 2015, 09:14:48 AM

Already a thing, I think. He doesn't have any power, but he's hit over .300 every step of the way (aside from 2 games in the Arizona Rk league). Probably not a guy that'll matter. More likely a trade piece somewhere along the line

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2779 on: July 24, 2015, 09:42:11 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 24, 2015, 09:34:14 AM

Already a thing, I think. He doesn't have any power, but he's hit over .300 every step of the way (aside from 2 games in the Arizona Rk league). Probably not a guy that'll matter. More likely a trade piece somewhere along the line

I've only seen him play 2B. If he can play 3B and/or SS as well, he would have some value as a spare infielder.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2780 on: July 24, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 24, 2015, 09:42:11 AM
Quote from: Yeti on July 24, 2015, 09:34:14 AM

I've only seen him play 2B. If he can play 3B and/or SS as well, he would have some value as a spare infielder.

I guess in four or five years I'll be the asshole defending Chesny Young.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2781 on: August 10, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »
[whispers] Since June 1, Albert Almora has a .769 OPS and something approaching a 1:1 K/BB ratio. There's still a lot of progress to be made to think he can crack even a ~.700 OPS in the majors (the totally arbitrary mark I'm setting for him to be useful in combination with his defense), but it's nice to see him trending in a positive direction at the plate. [/whispers]

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2782 on: August 10, 2015, 10:22:50 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 10, 2015, 10:11:16 AM
[whispers] Since June 1, Albert Almora has a .769 OPS and something approaching a 1:1 K/BB ratio. There's still a lot of progress to be made to think he can crack even a ~.700 OPS in the majors (the totally arbitrary mark I'm setting for him to be useful in combination with his defense), but it's nice to see him trending in a positive direction at the plate. [/whispers]

At the very least if he wants to finish this season hitting well I'm sure a gold glove caliber centerfielder who can hit some line drives into the gaps will appeal to the Padres and their massive outfield in the offseason trade talks for Tyson Ross.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2783 on: August 10, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »

This is totally DRLP to my 7 followers.

I think .700 sounds about right though, because of my totally baseless assumption that Almora's defense would be almost-but-not-quite-as-good as Kiermaier's.

And let's assume for a minute an up the middle defense of Russell/Baez/Almora (ignoring catcher for the moment since we don't know if that'll be Schwarber, Contreras, or someone else) and that Baez's 2B defense would be as good or better than he showed in last year's short stint; what would be the last Cubs team that was that strong up the middle defensively?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2784 on: August 10, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »
Quote from: R-V on August 10, 2015, 12:13:40 PM

I think .700 sounds about right though, because of my totally baseless assumption that Almora's defense would be almost-but-not-quite-as-good as Kiermaier's.

And let's assume for a minute an up the middle defense of Russell/Baez/Almora (ignoring catcher for the moment since we don't know if that'll be Schwarber, Contreras, or someone else) and that Baez's 2B defense would be as good or better than he showed in last year's short stint; what would be the last Cubs team that was that strong up the middle defensively?

Who's the leadoff man in that configuration assuming Rizzo and Bryant at first? Russell would have to hit .300 for that to work.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2785 on: August 10, 2015, 12:20:25 PM »

That's a tall order, even for a baseless assumption, but for rough WAR numbers, it works fine here. A poor man's Kiermaier could still be a 2.5-win player, which isn't too bad for someone cost-controlled.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2786 on: August 10, 2015, 12:29:37 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 10, 2015, 12:16:14 PM

Who's the leadoff man in that configuration assuming Rizzo and Bryant at first? Russell would have to hit .300 for that to work.

Spitballing here for mid-2016/2017ish. For what it's worth, Russell put up a .377 OBP in the minors. Split the difference between that and the .300ish he's put up in the majors this year and that's right about where Dex is now at leadoff.

Russell SS
Schwarber LF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Soler RF
Baez 2B
Contreras? C
Price/Arrieta/Lester/Zimmerman/Cueto P
Almora CF

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2787 on: August 10, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 24, 2015, 01:28:00 PM
Here's an actual attempt at a contribution: I think SKO's EPIC MESSAGE BOARD MELTDOWN can be at least partially attributed to the approach that some Cubs fans take regarding all these prospects, namely the slotting in of guys who haven't even made it to AAA yet into certain positions on the big league team.

"Well a year or so from now we'll be looking at Almora in CF and Schwarber at catcher which will put Bryant in LF and then you've gotta figure out if Baez or Castro or Russell plays third base..."

The big league team has sucked for so long that all we've been left with is prospect watching, which leads to some unhealthy expectations on translating the minor league success (or in Almora's case, not-totally-failing) that we've watched so intently into major league success.

I don't think Huey or anyone on this messageboard has that attitude
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2788 on: August 10, 2015, 12:38:34 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 10, 2015, 12:37:20 PM
Here's an actual attempt at a contribution: I think SKO's EPIC MESSAGE BOARD MELTDOWN can be at least partially attributed to the approach that some Cubs fans take regarding all these prospects, namely the slotting in of guys who haven't even made it to AAA yet into certain positions on the big league team.

"Well a year or so from now we'll be looking at Almora in CF and Schwarber at catcher which will put Bryant in LF and then you've gotta figure out if Baez or Castro or Russell plays third base..."

The big league team has sucked for so long that all we've been left with is prospect watching, which leads to some unhealthy expectations on translating the minor league success (or in Almora's case, not-totally-failing) that we've watched so intently into major league success.

Roasting accepted.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2789 on: August 10, 2015, 12:39:03 PM »
Quote from: R-V on August 10, 2015, 12:38:34 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 10, 2015, 12:37:20 PM

Roasting accepted.

I don't even mind your spitballing, it was just too fucking perfect.