News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Morning in America: Butthurt Achieved  ( 94,848 )

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Morning in America: Butthurt Achieved
« Reply #300 on: January 05, 2013, 04:19:37 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on January 05, 2013, 04:05:58 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on January 05, 2013, 03:19:37 PM
I don't know what's sillier, using a hypertechnical reading of a statute intended to allow the Treasury to create commemorative coins or a political party holding the world economy hostage so that it can extract policy concessions instead of paying the bills it's already racked up.

"Hypertechnical"? We're not talking Bruesewitz here.

Quote(k) The Secretary may mint and issue platinum bullion coins and proof platinum coins in accordance with such specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary's discretion, may prescribe from time to time.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #301 on: January 05, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on January 05, 2013, 04:19:37 PM
I don't know what's sillier, using a hypertechnical reading of a statute intended to allow the Treasury to create commemorative coins or a political party holding the world economy hostage so that it can extract policy concessions instead of paying the bills it's already racked up.

Quote(k) The Secretary may mint and issue platinum bullion coins and proof platinum coins in accordance with such specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary's discretion, may prescribe from time to time.

You left out the "hypertechnical" part.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #302 on: January 05, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on January 05, 2013, 04:44:25 PM

It derives from a statute enabling the Treasury to mint commemorative coins: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/5112
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #303 on: January 06, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on January 05, 2013, 06:00:54 PM

It derives from a statute enabling the Treasury to mint commemorative coins: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/5112

I know that. This does not make a plain reading "hypertechnical." Why are you even waving around the statute? The subsection itself exists only in proximity to the word "commemorative," so you're stuck with ponying up the legislative history. Which is totally not hypertechnical.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #304 on: January 07, 2013, 10:18:32 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on January 06, 2013, 03:38:50 PM

I know that. This does not make a plain reading "hypertechnical." Why are you even waving around the statute? The subsection itself exists only in proximity to the word "commemorative," so you're stuck with ponying up the legislative history. Which is totally not hypertechnical.

It was a bill designed to allow the Treasury to mint commemorative coins which is now being read in such a way to allow the Treasury to mint and produce coins of such value to hypothetically reduce all of the national debt by fiat.

Here's the Congressional Record of the bill's passage: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CREC-2000-09-26/pdf/CREC-2000-09-26-pt1-PgH8191.pdf#page=1

There is nothing there to suggest that this bill permits anything that the trillion dollar coin advocates suggest it can do.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #305 on: January 07, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #306 on: January 07, 2013, 01:04:12 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on January 07, 2013, 10:18:32 AM

It was a bill designed to allow the Treasury to mint commemorative coins which is now being read in such a way to allow the Treasury to mint and produce coins of such value to hypothetically reduce all of the national debt by fiat.

Here's the Congressional Record of the bill's passage: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CREC-2000-09-26/pdf/CREC-2000-09-26-pt1-PgH8191.pdf#page=1

There is nothing there to suggest that this bill permits anything that the trillion dollar coin advocates suggest it can do.

There's not really anything to suggest that it doesn't, either. I think you're missing my point, which is that trying to construct an argument based on legislative history is more "hypertechnical."

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #307 on: January 07, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on January 07, 2013, 01:04:12 PM

There's not really anything to suggest that it doesn't, either. I think you're missing my point, which is that trying to construct an argument based on legislative history is more "hypertechnical."

Gil, as an objective observer, I'm sorry to report that you are losing this legal argument. Maybe you'll be ready for internet legal tussles with Wheezer once you finish Hollywood Upstairs Law School.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #308 on: January 07, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 07, 2013, 01:08:58 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on January 07, 2013, 01:04:12 PM

Gil, as an objective observer, I'm sorry to report that you are losing this legal argument. Maybe you'll be ready for internet legal tussles with Wheezer once you finish Hollywood Upstairs Law School.

Take the argument to its natural conclusion then.  What's to prevent the President from ordering the Treasury secretary to issue a $16 trillion dollar platinum coin, depositing that with the Fed, and then erasing the debt?  It doesn't work like that.

My position is that the legislation does not per se permit the Executive from doing this.  Nothing more.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #309 on: January 07, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »

The face of that coin is going to need something big.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #310 on: January 07, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »
Quote from: flannj on January 07, 2013, 02:09:51 PM

The Governor of New Jersey?  (Sorry.  I'll leave now.)
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #311 on: January 08, 2013, 11:04:15 AM »

I think even Gil will find this perfectly acceptable legal tender.

I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on January 08, 2013, 11:04:15 AM

"In Big Cheyenne we trust"
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »
Quote from: flannj on January 08, 2013, 11:33:33 AM

Per google translate:

In Big Cheyennensi nos confĂ­dimus. Videamus quam quomodo hoc ludit ex

Makes about as much sense as the debt cieling vote itself does.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on January 08, 2013, 05:24:18 PM
Quote from: flannj on January 08, 2013, 11:33:33 AM

Per google translate:

In Big Cheyennensi nos confĂ­dimus. Videamus quam quomodo hoc ludit ex

Makes about as much sense as the debt cieling vote itself does.

O quam indigna! Nunc plus quam umquam.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.