News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 42  ( 1,077 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« on: May 27, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »
If you haven't seen this yet, it should not be because you think that it will be a disappointment.  It is up there with the best baseball movies that I have ever seen.  I concede that is a very short list.  Jackie Robinson played himself in the 1950 "The Jackie Robinson Story", and was a more convincing baseball player, but the actor who plays him in this movie is a better actor than Jackie was.  However, I was blown away by Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey, and you will be too.  For those few of you who were not around in 1947 you may be shocked by the pervasive bigotry.  I thought that the movie understated it.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 42
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:37:10 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on May 27, 2013, 06:31:17 PM
If you haven't seen this yet, it should not be because you think that it will be a disappointment.  It is up there with the best baseball movies that I have ever seen.  I concede that is a very short list.  Jackie Robinson played himself in the 1950 "The Jackie Robinson Story", and was a more convincing baseball player, but the actor who plays him in this movie is a better actor than Jackie was.  However, I was blown away by Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey, and you will be too.  For those few of you who were not around in 1947 you may be shocked by the pervasive bigotry.  I thought that the movie understated it.

My expectations were low thanks to the lackluster reviews but I really enjoyed this film. The actress playing Jackie's wife also helped.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: 42
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:47:14 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 27, 2013, 08:37:10 PM
Quote from: CBStew on May 27, 2013, 06:31:17 PM

My expectations were low thanks to the lackluster reviews but I really enjoyed this film. The actress playing Jackie's wife also helped.

Yeah... she's a pretty lady.

I thought Ford was going to be terrible, but he was pretty good.

And I expected the bigotry to be worse.