News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Hobbit  ( 9,704 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 05, 2013, 11:21:47 AM
Quote from: CT III on January 05, 2013, 10:23:20 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 05, 2013, 10:13:47 AM
Saw it last night. I think Tonks has it right.  It's fine.  Nothing more.  And it's way too long in the beginning and it's far too derivative of the first movies.  I was half expecting Gandalf to scream "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" at Turkey Wattle Goblin.

Last thing: Bunny sleds are worse than Ewoks.

You know, that was like 30 fucking years ago.  Maybe it's time you just got over it.

30 fucking years ago in a movie aimed at children.

Two movies aimed at kids.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 03:03:20 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 05, 2013, 01:20:06 PM
Quote from: Bort on January 05, 2013, 11:21:47 AM
Quote from: CT III on January 05, 2013, 10:23:20 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 05, 2013, 10:13:47 AM
Saw it last night. I think Tonks has it right.  It's fine.  Nothing more.  And it's way too long in the beginning and it's far too derivative of the first movies.  I was half expecting Gandalf to scream "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" at Turkey Wattle Goblin.

Last thing: Bunny sleds are worse than Ewoks.

You know, that was like 30 fucking years ago.  Maybe it's time you just got over it.

30 fucking years ago in a movie aimed at children.

Two movies aimed at kids.

I went with my kids.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
For the record, this is what was "worse than Ewoks":

Goddammit, Chuck.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 08, 2013, 02:59:00 PM
For the record, this is what was "worse than Ewoks":

Goddammit, Chuck.

I sometimes assume he's an elaborate troll.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:00 AM »
Okay, as I'm up at an ungodly hour, I thought I'd address two Chuckian wrongs from the first page. I guess Tonk is also in on the first wrong, but not as obnoxiously so.

*snorts*

*adjusts glasses*

1. The Eagles do not work for Gandalf and have no stake in what happens to humans, elves, dwarves et al. They do favors for him out of long friendship. He cannot send them in to Mordor any more than we could order France to invade Belgium.  They would almost certainly have been shot the shit down had they flown directly to Mordor, as only the huge battle and fall of Sauron got them in in the first place.

2. Jesus fucking Christ, Chuck. The eagles are not "America." Tolkein hated allegory so much he went out if his way to talk about it in the paperback intro that has been in every edition since the 60s.

Now if you excuse me, I have some Superman back issues to catalog while drinking Mountain Dew.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 05:49:56 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 09, 2013, 05:38:00 AM
Okay, as I'm up at an ungodly hour, I thought I'd address two Chuckian wrongs from the first page. I guess Tonk is also in on the first wrong, but not as obnoxiously so.

*snorts*

*adjusts glasses*

1. The Eagles do not work for Gandalf and have no stake in what happens to humans, elves, dwarves et al. They do favors for him out of long friendship. He cannot send them in to Mordor any more than we could order France to invade Belgium.  They would almost certainly have been shot the shit down had they flown directly to Mordor, as only the huge battle and fall of Sauron got them in in the first place.

2. Jesus fucking Christ, Chuck. The eagles are not "America." Tolkein hated allegory so much he went out if his way to talk about it in the paperback intro that has been in every edition since the 60s.

Now if you excuse me, I have some Superman back issues to catalog while drinking Mountain Dew.

My point was more that, if Gandalf could get the eagles to take them to within sight of whatever the fuck that mountain is called, it would have been polite of them to a) pick them up from the Shire in the first place and b) drop them on the doorstep rather than on top of a stone pillar fifty miles away.  It's just a question of common courtesy.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 07:02:09 AM »
Jesus fucking Christ, Chuck. The eagles are not "America." Tolkein hated allegory so much he went out if his way to talk about it in the paperback intro that has been in every edition since the 60s.

Fine.

The bunnies are America.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 07:33:15 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 09, 2013, 05:49:56 AM

*snorts*

*adjusts glasses*

My point was more that, if Gandalf could get the eagles to take them to within sight of whatever the fuck that mountain is called, it would have been polite of them to a) pick them up from the Shire in the first place and b) drop them on the doorstep rather than on top of a stone pillar fifty miles away.  It's just a question of common courtesy.

and the eagles should have worn cabbie hats at a jaunty angle.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 08:16:45 AM »

*snorts*

*adjusts glasses*

Which of his seventeen countries does Tonker side with in that scenario?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 08:31:59 AM »
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 08:50:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 09, 2013, 08:31:59 AM
Pretty good explanations all around: http://www.examiner.com/article/tolkien-101-why-doesn-t-frodo-just-ride-an-eagle-to-mount-doom

Again, we're not talking about Frodo and Mount Doom, we're talking about Bilbo and the Dwarves' home mountain, towards which the eagles took them most of the way anyway.  Why not just extend that journey a little at both ends and be done with it?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »
I feel like this thread is a parody of the internet.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 09, 2013, 08:50:08 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 09, 2013, 08:31:59 AM
Pretty good explanations all around: http://www.examiner.com/article/tolkien-101-why-doesn-t-frodo-just-ride-an-eagle-to-mount-doom

Again, we're not talking about Frodo and Mount Doom, we're talking about Bilbo and the Dwarves' home mountain, towards which the eagles took them most of the way anyway.  Why not just extend that journey a little at both ends and be done with it?

"The Eagles intervened because they hate Wargs and Orcs, but they refused to take Gandalf and the others very far, because the Eagles have their own business to take care of and don't exist for the convenience others. " That's what they've got.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »
Quote from: R-V on January 09, 2013, 08:51:33 AM

I always enjoy it when one of the Desipio internet ghey nerds acts surprised when he realizes he spends all of his time on a ghey internet messageboard for ghey internet nerds.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 09, 2013, 08:53:06 AM
Quote from: R-V on January 09, 2013, 08:51:33 AM

I always enjoy it when one of the Desipio internet ghey nerds acts surprised when he realizes he spends all of his time on a ghey internet messageboard for ghey internet nerds.

That doesn't mean RV's wrong.