News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Americans  ( 13,396 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Americans
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2014, 01:38:57 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 25, 2014, 10:01:39 AM
Quote from: Slaky on April 25, 2014, 09:19:55 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 25, 2014, 09:14:51 AM
Quote from: R-V on April 25, 2014, 08:27:23 AM
Why aren't you watching this show? Stop reading this post and go catch up on it, you hooplehead. Then come back here and we can rap about it.

I'm not watching, but I saw that Oliver North got writing credit on the last episode. What's the DEAL with THAT?

I also noticed that. Season's finally picking up steam. I think it's been a bit slow. It's a pretty sad show overall and I think it's working toward a turn by Phillip. I could be wrong and it's all just a tease. But they keep dropping hints that the wife is way more into the Motherland than he is.

I like that this show is slow/sad - to me it's a great character study that says, yeah spying shit is cool, but there are *actual people* who have to do that shit, and man it takes a hellacious toll on them. I think Phillip is maybe just a bit less dedicated to the cause than Elizabeth is, but not by much - he just isn't as vocal about it, and happens to also enjoy the amenities of American consumerism. I do think he's able to compartmentalize that. What he is increasingly unable to compartmentalize is how many poor innocent bastards he's had to kill this season - the busboy and computer geek earlier in the season, and now in the latest episode, the snot-nosed young soldier and the septic truck driver who he proactively tried to save, and ended up being unable to. Add that in to the guilt trip his handler gave him over the submarine plans - which I really do think Oleg nailed as being way, way more attributable to Soviet incompetence than to, gasp, the Americans having the GALL to plant fake plans - and he's on the verge of a meltdown.

And we haven't even talked about Stan's steady decline into Soviet asset. Is he starting to realize that he's been played like a drum by Nina and her Soviet hindquarters?

I don't care how good the show is, the prop wigs are hellaciously bad.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 25, 2014, 09:24:12 AM
"What a great opportunity it is to showcase the man who changed the world for the good, for my kids and my grandkids," Mr. North said of Mr. Reagan.

W.T.F. I get it that Republicans bob on Reagan's knob for all sorts of reasons, but ... Iran-Contra?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2014, 01:39:26 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 25, 2014, 10:01:39 AM
Quote from: Slaky on April 25, 2014, 09:19:55 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 25, 2014, 09:14:51 AM
Quote from: R-V on April 25, 2014, 08:27:23 AM
Why aren't you watching this show? Stop reading this post and go catch up on it, you hooplehead. Then come back here and we can rap about it.

I'm not watching, but I saw that Oliver North got writing credit on the last episode. What's the DEAL with THAT?

I also noticed that. Season's finally picking up steam. I think it's been a bit slow. It's a pretty sad show overall and I think it's working toward a turn by Phillip. I could be wrong and it's all just a tease. But they keep dropping hints that the wife is way more into the Motherland than he is.

I like that this show is slow/sad - to me it's a great character study that says, yeah spying shit is cool, but there are *actual people* who have to do that shit, and man it takes a hellacious toll on them. I think Phillip is maybe just a bit less dedicated to the cause than Elizabeth is, but not by much - he just isn't as vocal about it, and happens to also enjoy the amenities of American consumerism. I do think he's able to compartmentalize that. What he is increasingly unable to compartmentalize is how many poor innocent bastards he's had to kill this season - the busboy and computer geek earlier in the season, and now in the latest episode, the snot-nosed young soldier and the septic truck driver who he proactively tried to save, and ended up being unable to. Add that in to the guilt trip his handler gave him over the submarine plans - which I really do think Oleg nailed as being way, way more attributable to Soviet incompetence than to, gasp, the Americans having the GALL to plant fake plans - and he's on the verge of a meltdown.

And we haven't even talked about Stan's steady decline into Soviet asset. Is he starting to realize that he's been played like a drum by Nina and her Soviet hindquarters?

Is Nina playing him or is Nina playing the Russian guy? Not Arcady, but the younger dude. I can't tell anymore...which mean Nina is playing ME. Which means WATCH THIS SHOW
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2014, 09:32:40 AM »
Finale was the best ep of this show by miles. The opening scene was the best of most TV I've seen this year. They FINALLY used a licensed song and it happened to be Twilight Zone. The Jennings' trying to save Mimi's brother juxtaposed with Dork Daughter protesting as the cops come in and start cracking skulls was fucking fantastic.

Also - the twist at the end setting up season 3 was fucking brilliant. Next season promises to be very good.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 04:18:15 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 23, 2014, 09:32:40 AM
Finale was the best ep of this show by miles. The opening scene was the best of most TV I've seen this year. They FINALLY used a licensed song and it happened to be Twilight Zone. The Jennings' trying to save Mimi's brother juxtaposed with Dork Daughter protesting as the cops come in and start cracking skulls was fucking fantastic.

Also - the twist at the end setting up season 3 was fucking brilliant. Next season promises to be very good.

Da, ETO.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »

Promise: fulfilled. Other than Stan's story being a bit aimless, this season has been firing on all cylinders. Frank Langella has been a great addition.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2015, 09:24:13 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 27, 2015, 08:54:49 AM

Promise: fulfilled. Other than Stan's story being a bit aimless, this season has been firing on all cylinders. Frank Langella has been a great addition.

I've been thinking about getting into this show but it doesn't appear to be on Netlfix.  Sads.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2015, 09:40:58 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 27, 2015, 09:24:13 AM
Quote from: R-V on March 27, 2015, 08:54:49 AM

I've been thinking about getting into this show but it doesn't appear to be on Netlfix.  Sads.

FX has an app. Pretty sure it has all the seasons. App is free if you have FX on your sat or cable.  This is my spring break show.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2015, 11:01:44 AM »
Who's excited? This season has been incredible. The wig pull-off was the balls.

I just found out Martha is English IRL which 'splains all my issues with her.

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2016, 01:45:48 PM »
*BUMP*

Anybody watching season 4?  I haven't seen last night's yet (episode 5), but episode 4 had a big update...don't know policy around here regarding spoilers, etc. or I would elaborate.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2016, 01:54:53 PM »
Quote from: J Rod on April 14, 2016, 01:45:48 PM
*BUMP*

Anybody watching season 4?  I haven't seen last night's yet (episode 5), but episode 4 had a big update...don't know policy around here regarding spoilers, etc. or I would elaborate.

Your sentence will be carried out... shortly.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 14, 2016, 01:54:53 PM
*BUMP*

This season has been amazing so far. Seems like they're building up to some amazing pay offs with Martha, Paige and the pastor, the weird relationship with Beeman, Phillip's obvious increasing dislike of his job, etc.

I know next season has already been picked up but

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 18, 2016, 12:37:00 PM
*BUMP*

This season has been amazing so far. Seems like they're building up to some amazing pay offs with Martha, Paige and the pastor, the weird relationship with Beeman, Phillip's obvious increasing dislike of his job, etc.

I get the feeling that Martha's days might be numbered.  They have a good cover story with Beeman finding the valium and revolver in her apartment...a staged suicide, perhaps? But then the previews for next week seem to suggest something else.  If this show has 1, or 2, more seasons left, you'd think that they were start moving in the direction of how it will wrap up...which I think has to have Philip & Elizabeth defecting to save their kids.

Whenever I hear Beeman, I always think of this guy...

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2016, 04:41:01 PM »
Quote from: J Rod on April 18, 2016, 03:40:27 PM
Quote from: Slaky on April 18, 2016, 12:37:00 PM
*BUMP*

I get the feeling that Martha's days might be numbered.  They have a good cover story with Beeman finding the valium and revolver in her apartment...a staged suicide, perhaps? But then the previews for next week seem to suggest something else.  If this show has 1, or 2, more seasons left, you'd think that they were start moving in the direction of how it will wrap up...which I think has to have Philip & Elizabeth defecting to save their kids.

Don't see anyway Elizabeth defects.  Kinda hard to see them ending up together.  If the whole show is a study of a marriage with the backdrop of a spy show, where they work for a country only a few years away from breaking up, hard to see how they aren't "divorced" somehow by the end.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »
One of the best things they did was drop the story line with Philip and the underage daughter of the CIA dude. That was gross.