News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jorge Soler Zero Percent Financing Thud On The Shower Door SPLOOGE Fest  ( 67,957 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
His K rate is down, and his walk rate is up. He's not being the soulcrusher we hoped he would be out of the gates, especially considering last year's NLDS performance, but the Cubs are going in dry on everyone, so they can carry his bat while he figures it out.

Nothing is fucked here, dude.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 09, 2016, 08:25:12 AM
His K rate is down, and his walk rate is up. He's not being the soulcrusher we hoped he would be out of the gates, especially considering last year's NLDS performance, but the Cubs are going in dry on everyone, so they can carry his bat while he figures it out.

Gotta say, however, much as I love me some Jorge, it's hard not to think of him as the most expendable player right now.  Defensively, the team is better off with Baez at 3B and Bryant in LF than with Bryant at 3B and Soler in LF--both positions are improved with the former alignment.  If Baez continues to hit, it's hard to imagine a role on this team for Jorge.  We knew this day would come eventually for one of their young players, and as things are developing it's becoming clear, to me at least, that the first young player to be launched for reinforcements is going to be Our Man Jorge.  :(
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on May 09, 2016, 08:48:28 AM

Gotta say, however, much as I love me some Jorge, it's hard not to think of him as the most expendable player right now.  Defensively, the team is better off with Baez at 3B and Bryant in LF than with Bryant at 3B and Soler in LF--both positions are improved with the former alignment.  If Baez continues to hit, it's hard to imagine a role on this team for Jorge.  We knew this day would come eventually for one of their young players, and as things are developing it's becoming clear, to me at least, that the first young player to be launched for reinforcements is going to be Our Man Jorge.  :(

All of this is reasonable. I've been reminding myself that it's pretty damn greedy to expect that *all* of the young guys would live up to expectations. I don't think it's crazy to say that we know Bryant/Schwarber/Russell/Baez are all starter-level MLB players at a minimum, with perennial All-Star potential. That's a hell of a hit rate if they don't hit on Jorge.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on May 09, 2016, 09:06:17 AM

All of this is reasonable. I've been reminding myself that it's pretty damn greedy to expect that *all* of the young guys would live up to expectations. I don't think it's crazy to say that we know Bryant/Schwarber/Russell/Baez are all starter-level MLB players at a minimum, with perennial All-Star potential. That's a hell of a hit rate if they don't hit on Jorge.

And I'm not necessarily saying that Jorge won't live up to the expectations.  I think there's a good chance he will in fact--his historic performance in last season's postseason makes for a good argument that he will.

I'm just saying that whether his expectations become fulfilled or unfulfilled, I don't think we're going to find out while he's wearing the blue pinstripes.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on May 09, 2016, 09:12:58 AM

And I'm not necessarily saying that Jorge won't live up to the expectations.  I think there's a good chance he will in fact--his historic performance in last season's postseason makes for a good argument that he will.

I'm just saying that whether his expectations become fulfilled or unfulfilled, I don't think we're going to find out while he's wearing the blue pinstripes.

Dealing him while his value is at an all-time low seems like a poor move though. I'm bracing myself for some bad news about him eventually but I doubt if I'll take it well. (||)
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on May 09, 2016, 09:32:38 AM

Dealing him while his value is at an all-time low seems like a poor move though. I'm bracing myself for some bad news about him eventually but I doubt if I'll take it well. (||)

I wouldn't say his value's at an all-time low.  He's just gotten off to a slow start and hasn't played every day.  I think he's done enough in the past to get fair value--hell, they could probably still sell high based on his weeklong dominance of playoff pitching last year.  Besides, a deal's not likely going to happen before July so perhaps Jorge has time to elevate his numbers by then.  I just don't see how he'll do anything else during that time to suddenly render him inexpendable.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

That's not how things work around here. Castro should be your most recent reminder. Traded only after he tore it up for a couple months on a big stage.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on May 09, 2016, 09:41:56 AM

That's not how things work around here. Castro should be your most recent reminder. Traded only after he tore it up for a couple months on a big stage.

And if Soler gets launched, it will be for a piece that will get the Cubs closer (or over the hump) to a parade in November. You know every seller will call the Cubs, and they're all looking at Soler.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
/thread
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
This is the part where I'd do a photoshop of Soler impaled by a giant fork.
M'lady.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I'm a little worried.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Canadouche on May 12, 2016, 10:07:49 AM

Mitch Soler?
TIME TO POST!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 12, 2016, 11:15:44 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on May 12, 2016, 10:07:49 AM

Mitch Soler?

Georgie Sunshine.
M'lady.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 12, 2016, 11:12:48 AM
I'm a little worried.

About Soler or the possibility of Kurtshopped image?

I'm not going to lie, I'm a fucking mess over both.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.