News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jorge Soler Zero Percent Financing Thud On The Shower Door SPLOOGE Fest  ( 68,013 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Well Jorge is well ahead of 23 year old Soriano (who was in the minors except for an extremely brief cup of coffee), so if he wants to go ahead and put up 26 year old Soriano's numbers at age 23 I'll start letting out my codpiece now.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
50 K's...good job, Jorge.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 14, 2015, 02:14:14 PM

Okay christ on a bike you won't hate on Chris Coghlan but fuck the 23 year old rookie who has a bit of a K problem?

Weird.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 14, 2015, 02:16:21 PM

Okay christ on a bike you won't hate on Chris Coghlan but fuck the 23 year old rookie who has a bit of a K problem?

Weird.

Soler has a career minor league K% of around 20%...so far this season it's at 34%. That's a bit jarring for someone who we figured had good plate discipline. I'm not running around mach 5 with my hair on fire freaking out, I'm just saying it's kind of alarming at this point.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Bort on May 14, 2015, 01:41:33 PM
See, this is why I said not to encourage Chuck.

Seriously. I regret everything.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 14, 2015, 02:23:23 PM

Weird.

Soler has a career minor league K% of around 20%...so far this season it's at 34%. That's a bit jarring for someone who we figured had good plate discipline. I'm not running around mach 5 with my hair on fire freaking out, I'm just saying it's kind of alarming at this point.

I get it, but he played all of 55 minor league games above A Ball. This is the first extended time he's had vs. advanced breaking balls, and he's scuffling a tad, but he's shown signs this month. His OPS in May is .784 and he's struck out 30% of the time vs. 36% in April.

I'm not saying I'm not worried at all that he might not right the ship (although I'm really not) but it is legitimately baffling to me you'd post a sarcastic "nice job on 50 Ks" about a rookie while preaching patience with Chris friggin Coghlan.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 14, 2015, 02:28:12 PM

Weird.

I get it, but he played all of 55 minor league games above A Ball. This is the first extended time he's had vs. advanced breaking balls, and he's scuffling a tad, but he's shown signs this month. His OPS in May is .784 and he's struck out 30% of the time vs. 36% in April.

I'm not saying I'm not worried at all that he might not right the ship (although I'm really not) but it is legitimately baffling to me you'd post a sarcastic "nice job on 50 Ks" about a rookie while preaching patience with Chris friggin Coghlan.

It's because I'm a little concerned at the moment about Soler who means infinitely more to the Cubs than Coghlan. Coghlan is a marginal starter in a strong, young lineup who's peripherals can at least show you he's not as terrible as you think (although I don't think he's "good" myself, I think he's just merely keeping the grass brown out there for a few months).

I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 14, 2015, 02:32:22 PM

Weird.

It's because I'm a little concerned at the moment about Soler who means infinitely more to the Cubs than Coghlan. Coghlan is a marginal starter in a strong, young lineup who's peripherals can at least show you he's not as terrible as you think (although I don't think he's "good" myself, I think he's just merely keeping the grass brown out there for a few months).

Does it make you feel better if I say he's only got about a 27% K rate outside of that one awful 0-15 stretch he had where he K'd 10 times in 4 games? I think he's making his adjustments, it's just hard to see because he looked awful yesterday against a pretty good pitcher and his power hasn't really materalized yet, largely because I think he isn't exactly made to play a lot of games in 45 degree weather.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 14, 2015, 02:39:48 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 14, 2015, 02:32:22 PM

Weird.

Does it make you feel better if I say he's only got about a 27% K rate outside of that one awful 0-15 stretch he had where he K'd 10 times in 4 games? I think he's making his adjustments, it's just hard to see because he looked awful yesterday against a pretty good pitcher and his power hasn't really materalized yet, largely because I think he isn't exactly made to play a lot of games in 45 degree weather.

This theory doesn't bode well for October...but it is Dusty Baker approved.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Weird.

If he's still racking up Ks ar a 34% rate next season or even later this year, I'd be more worried. For now this fits the profile of a guy who is not adapting to big league pitching instantly.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Jorge's K % would be a lot lower if every ump didn't give opposing pitchers every fucking fastball outside rhe zone that they want. He's getting jobbed regularly

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 17, 2015, 03:40:49 PM
Jorge's K % would be a lot lower if every ump didn't give opposing pitchers every fucking fastball outside rhe zone that they want. He's getting jobbed regularly

His knowledge of the zone is going to be a huge benefit over the long run. That AB flipped this game from a W to a L. I can't wait for Questec to replace these worthless assholes in a few years. The calls AJ got were just awful.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on May 17, 2015, 04:45:13 PM

His knowledge of the zone is going to be a huge benefit over the long run. That AB flipped this game from a W to a L. I can't wait for Questec to replace these worthless assholes in a few years. The calls AJ got were just awful.

Games like today will only serve to accelerate the process.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Those were shit calls, for sure. And I love how well he knows the strike zone. But in that situation where:

• They haven't scored and the game is tight
  • Bases are loaded
  • There's one out and Coghlan is on-deck
  • The ump has already called that pitch a strike twice

He's gotta take the bat off his shoulder. The last pitch wasn't in the zone, but it was close enough. Given what had happened with the other two pitches, you have to figure that one is getting called a strike, so either try to foul it off or go the other way. I know there's a double play risk there, but it was just too critical of a situation to stand there out of principle. We've seen him hit balls off his shoetops to the wall, so it's not like he isn't capable.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on May 17, 2015, 08:06:02 PM

Those were shit calls, for sure. And I love how well he knows the strike zone. But in that situation where:

• They haven't scored and the game is tight
  • Bases are loaded
  • There's one out and Coghlan is on-deck
  • The ump has already called that pitch a strike twice

He's gotta take the bat off his shoulder. The last pitch wasn't in the zone, but it was close enough. Given what had happened with the other two pitches, you have to figure that one is getting called a strike, so either try to foul it off or go the other way. I know there's a double play risk there, but it was just too critical of a situation to stand there out of principle. We've seen him hit balls off his shoetops to the wall, so it's not like he isn't capable.

I get this, and in a few months maybe I'd agree. But given that he just now appears to be working out of a stretch where he was an automatic out chasing that outside pitch I'd rather not have him screw up his approach.  In the long run he'll benefit from his patience.