News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jorge Soler Zero Percent Financing Thud On The Shower Door SPLOOGE Fest  ( 67,979 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 17, 2015, 08:20:48 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 17, 2015, 08:06:02 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 17, 2015, 03:40:49 PM
Jorge's K % would be a lot lower if every ump didn't give opposing pitchers every fucking fastball outside rhe zone that they want. He's getting jobbed regularly

Those were shit calls, for sure. And I love how well he knows the strike zone. But in that situation where:

• They haven't scored and the game is tight
  • Bases are loaded
  • There's one out and Coghlan is on-deck
  • The ump has already called that pitch a strike twice

He's gotta take the bat off his shoulder. The last pitch wasn't in the zone, but it was close enough. Given what had happened with the other two pitches, you have to figure that one is getting called a strike, so either try to foul it off or go the other way. I know there's a double play risk there, but it was just too critical of a situation to stand there out of principle. We've seen him hit balls off his shoetops to the wall, so it's not like he isn't capable.

I get this, and in a few months maybe I'd agree. But given that he just now appears to be working out of a stretch where he was an automatic out chasing that outside pitch I'd rather not have him screw up his approach.  In the long run he'll benefit from his patience.

Especially once he develops a reputation for not swinging at pitches out of the strike zone. Umpires will eventually give him the benefit of the doubt.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 17, 2015, 08:30:02 PM
Jorge's K % would be a lot lower if every ump didn't give opposing pitchers every fucking fastball outside rhe zone that they want. He's getting jobbed regularly

Those were shit calls, for sure. And I love how well he knows the strike zone. But in that situation where:

• Bases are loaded

He's gotta take the bat off his shoulder. The last pitch wasn't in the zone, but it was close enough. Given what had happened with the other two pitches, you have to figure that one is getting called a strike, so either try to foul it off or go the other way. I know there's a double play risk there, but it was just too critical of a situation to stand there out of principle. We've seen him hit balls off his shoetops to the wall, so it's not like he isn't capable.

I get this, and in a few months maybe I'd agree. But given that he just now appears to be working out of a stretch where he was an automatic out chasing that outside pitch I'd rather not have him screw up his approach.  In the long run he'll benefit from his patience.

Especially once he develops a reputation for not swinging at pitches out of the strike zone. Umpires will eventually give him the benefit of the doubt.

He's clearly setting up the play action.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

• Bases are loaded

In fairness to Our Man Jorge, by the time that 2-strike pitch came wheeling in, the umps had already gotten into his head.  Even if they hadn't, it was a quality 2-strike pitch--he may well have rolled over on it.

I know it's not fair or just, but it seems that until he can start consistently laying off that shit low and away and in the dirt, he's not going to be getting the benefit of the doubt on borderline pitches.  The good news is I don't think it'll be much longer before this happens.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 17, 2015, 08:37:40 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 17, 2015, 08:30:02 PM

• Bases are loaded

He's clearly setting up the play action.

"Mr. Williams will let you know when it's a strike."
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on May 17, 2015, 08:51:44 PM

• Bases are loaded

In fairness to Our Man Jorge, by the time that 2-strike pitch came wheeling in, the umps had already gotten into his head.  Even if they hadn't, it was a quality 2-strike pitch--he may well have rolled over on it.

I know it's not fair or just, but it seems that until he can start consistently laying off that shit low and away and in the dirt, he's not going to be getting the benefit of the doubt on borderline pitches.  The good news is I don't think it'll be much longer before this happens.

He's done a good job laying off since the Harvey game, but he'll go back to chasing if he keeps getting jobbed on the ones he takes. It's a vicious cycle.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 14, 2015, 02:32:22 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 14, 2015, 02:28:12 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 14, 2015, 02:23:23 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 14, 2015, 02:16:21 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 14, 2015, 02:14:14 PM
50 K's...good job, Jorge.

Okay christ on a bike you won't hate on Chris Coghlan but fuck the 23 year old rookie who has a bit of a K problem?

Weird.

Soler has a career minor league K% of around 20%...so far this season it's at 34%. That's a bit jarring for someone who we figured had good plate discipline. I'm not running around mach 5 with my hair on fire freaking out, I'm just saying it's kind of alarming at this point.

I get it, but he played all of 55 minor league games above A Ball. This is the first extended time he's had vs. advanced breaking balls, and he's scuffling a tad, but he's shown signs this month. His OPS in May is .784 and he's struck out 30% of the time vs. 36% in April.

I'm not saying I'm not worried at all that he might not right the ship (although I'm really not) but it is legitimately baffling to me you'd post a sarcastic "nice job on 50 Ks" about a rookie while preaching patience with Chris friggin Coghlan.

It's because I'm a little concerned at the moment about Soler who means infinitely more to the Cubs than Coghlan. Coghlan is a marginal starter in a strong, young lineup who's peripherals can at least show you he's not as terrible as you think (although I don't think he's "good" myself, I think he's just merely keeping the grass brown out there for a few months).

I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

Dude, are you new here?  You have to ANGRILY hate the players that SKO hates, and you have to ANGRILY love the players that SKO loves.  Find out which is which, and get with the program, man.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on May 18, 2015, 02:44:46 AM

Okay christ on a bike you won't hate on Chris Coghlan but fuck the 23 year old rookie who has a bit of a K problem?

Weird.

Soler has a career minor league K% of around 20%...so far this season it's at 34%. That's a bit jarring for someone who we figured had good plate discipline. I'm not running around mach 5 with my hair on fire freaking out, I'm just saying it's kind of alarming at this point.

I get it, but he played all of 55 minor league games above A Ball. This is the first extended time he's had vs. advanced breaking balls, and he's scuffling a tad, but he's shown signs this month. His OPS in May is .784 and he's struck out 30% of the time vs. 36% in April.

I'm not saying I'm not worried at all that he might not right the ship (although I'm really not) but it is legitimately baffling to me you'd post a sarcastic "nice job on 50 Ks" about a rookie while preaching patience with Chris friggin Coghlan.

It's because I'm a little concerned at the moment about Soler who means infinitely more to the Cubs than Coghlan. Coghlan is a marginal starter in a strong, young lineup who's peripherals can at least show you he's not as terrible as you think (although I don't think he's "good" myself, I think he's just merely keeping the grass brown out there for a few months).

Dude, are you new here?  You have to ANGRILY hate the players that SKO hates, and you have to ANGRILY love the players that SKO loves.  Find out which is which, and get with the program, man.

I don't know why this is so hard for him. I guess public education in the state of Louisiana is to blame as usual.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 08:27:45 AM
Quote from: Tonker on May 18, 2015, 02:44:46 AM

Weird.

I don't know why this is so hard for him. I guess public education in the state of Louisiana is to blame as usual.

You think you're so superior with your book-learning and all.  Cut IAN some slack: everything he ever learned was drawn for him with a stick in the dirt.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 17, 2015, 10:10:15 PM

• Bases are loaded

He's done a good job laying off since the Harvey game, but he'll go back to chasing if he keeps getting jobbed on the ones he takes. It's a vicious cycle.

I think Maddon will go out and get tossed if Soler keeps getting rogered on these pitches. It's a better alternative to watching Soler fish for bad pitches.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 18, 2015, 08:57:21 AM

• Bases are loaded

I think Maddon will go out and get tossed if Soler keeps getting rogered on these pitches. It's a better alternative to watching Soler fish for bad pitches.

Joe definitely had some unkind words after that AB. He definitely seems to be on to something about Soler (and to a lesser extent Bryant and Russell) not getting the benefit of the doubt on a lot of their takes.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 09:27:02 AM

• Bases are loaded

Joe definitely had some unkind words after that AB. He definitely seems to be on to something about Soler (and to a lesser extent Bryant and Russell) not getting the benefit of the doubt on a lot of their takes.

It's one of those "unwritten rules" things, rookies have to earn it. But Soler's really getting reamed.
TIME TO POST!

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 18, 2015, 11:31:07 AM

• Bases are loaded

It's one of those "unwritten rules" things, rookies have to earn it. But Soler's really getting reamed.

And I'm all for Maddon reaming the umpires for that bullshit.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 18, 2015, 11:36:50 AM

• Bases are loaded

That's great and very entertaining. But he already did that like two weeks ago and it didn't make a difference. In the meantime, consider protecting the plate with an 0-2 count and the bases loaded.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on May 18, 2015, 12:30:51 PM

• Bases are loaded

That's great and very entertaining. But he already did that like two weeks ago and it didn't make a difference. In the meantime, consider protecting the plate with an 0-2 count and the bases loaded.

For now, the Cubs want him shrinking his strike zone, so he was probably in that mindset more than plate protection. He'll get there.
TIME TO POST!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 18, 2015, 12:40:57 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 18, 2015, 12:30:51 PM

• Bases are loaded

For now, the Cubs want him shrinking his strike zone, so he was probably in that mindset more than plate protection. He'll get there.

Bollocks to that.  If you have even half an idea that the ump might call it a strike - and all of those pitches yesterday were close enough for a strike not to be an outrageously bad call - get the bat off your shoulder and foul it off until you get something you can drive.  Now, tomorrow, next year, in ten years.