News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2013 Epstink's Chicago Cubstinks  ( 36,602 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2013 Epstink's Chicago Cubstinks
« Reply #285 on: September 24, 2013, 08:41:28 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 24, 2013, 08:18:05 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 24, 2013, 01:22:42 AM
Quote from: CBStew on September 23, 2013, 11:40:48 PM
Two days in a row.  Two different visiting teams clinch the playoffs at Wrigley.  That has got to be a record. 

Only thing that could make it better is both pitchers also winning their 300th games.

via No-Hitters
On the other hand, it is good for tourism.  "Come to Chicago.  See your team fatten up.  Visiting teams are guaranteed to win or your fourth day is free."
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: September 30, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »
You have to answer for Santino, Carlo.

Bonus points for the prescient CTA train illustration in the nameplate.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: September 30, 2013, 03:33:49 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 30, 2013, 02:37:10 PM

Theo has a lot to answer for?  What?  Only if the people who keep asking questions weren't listening to the answers they've been given for two-plus years.  It continues to astound that people still demand accountability for Theo and Jed when they couldn't have been more clear since the beginning about what they're doing.  No, they're not perfect, but I'm getting pretty much what I expected to get since they took over.  Is it just easier for hacks to stir shit up and be "provocative" than to actually try reporting on how the plan is going, whether it needs to be modified, what's working and what isn't?  Someone help me out here.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: September 30, 2013, 04:07:55 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 30, 2013, 03:33:49 PM

Theo has a lot to answer for?  What?  Only if the people who keep asking questions weren't listening to the answers they've been given for two-plus years.  It continues to astound that people still demand accountability for Theo and Jed when they couldn't have been more clear since the beginning about what they're doing.  No, they're not perfect, but I'm getting pretty much what I expected to get since they took over.  Is it just easier for hacks to stir shit up and be "provocative" than to actually try reporting on how the plan is going, whether it needs to be modified, what's working and what isn't?  Someone help me out here.

The problem is that they haven't explained how or why letting Sveum finish out his contract would be inconsistent with "the Plan."
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: September 30, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »

Transpose the first two words of the sentence made bold and you have your answer.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: September 30, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 30, 2013, 04:07:55 PM

The problem is that they haven't explained how or why letting Sveum finish out his contract would be inconsistent with "the Plan."

I think it's because the plan is to develop young players and they don't think Sveum is good at that, now having seen him for two years.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #291 on: September 30, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »

Theo has a lot to answer for?  What?  Only if the people who keep asking questions weren't listening to the answers they've been given for two-plus years.  It continues to astound that people still demand accountability for Theo and Jed when they couldn't have been more clear since the beginning about what they're doing.  No, they're not perfect, but I'm getting pretty much what I expected to get since they took over.  Is it just easier for hacks to stir shit up and be "provocative" than to actually try reporting on how the plan is going, whether it needs to be modified, what's working and what isn't?  Someone help me out here.

Listen, I get that someone getting dismissed from the Cubs organization without the club totally torching said someone's reputation via the media both before and after the dismissal is kind of a novel thing. But I think it's quite possible that, from their vantage points in the front office, Theo and Jed are privy to a number of details about Sveum's strengths and weaknesses as a major league field manager and developer of young talent that maybe we, the general public, can't see. And that perhaps they'd prefer not to go around airing out Sveum's shortcomings just for sake of looking a little bit better themselves.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #292 on: September 30, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 30, 2013, 04:31:08 PM

Theo has a lot to answer for?  What?  Only if the people who keep asking questions weren't listening to the answers they've been given for two-plus years.  It continues to astound that people still demand accountability for Theo and Jed when they couldn't have been more clear since the beginning about what they're doing.  No, they're not perfect, but I'm getting pretty much what I expected to get since they took over.  Is it just easier for hacks to stir shit up and be "provocative" than to actually try reporting on how the plan is going, whether it needs to be modified, what's working and what isn't?  Someone help me out here.

Listen, I get that someone getting dismissed from the Cubs organization without the club totally torching said someone's reputation via the media both before and after the dismissal is kind of a novel thing. But I think it's quite possible that, from their vantage points in the front office, Theo and Jed are privy to a number of details about Sveum's strengths and weaknesses as a major league field manager and developer of young talent that maybe we, the general public, can't see. And that perhaps they'd prefer not to go around airing out Sveum's shortcomings just for sake of looking a little bit better themselves.

You are forgetting sir, that we "the general public" pay these people's celeries.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: March 07, 2014, 11:53:15 AM »
Sveumstink was terrible *

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/3/5/5471442/estimating-number-of-runs-saved-by-infield-shifts

* Or maybe this is just statistical noise/bad luck

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: March 07, 2014, 12:21:27 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 07, 2014, 11:53:15 AM

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/3/5/5471442/estimating-number-of-runs-saved-by-infield-shifts

There also seems to be a very rough correlation between runs saved and the quality of the team (not always, since good teams like the Tigers ranked low). It could just be that the Cubs were pretty bad at everything and the numbers reflected that.

Like you said, too much noise here to really be that useful.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: March 07, 2014, 01:35:50 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 07, 2014, 12:21:27 PM
Quote from: R-V on March 07, 2014, 11:53:15 AM

...It could just be that the Cubs were pretty bad at everything...

Captain Obvious

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »
Que lastima!

The Cubs have fired their team psychologist