News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,559 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2015, 12:49:50 PM »
I might as well throw this out there as well.

QuoteSAN FRANCISCO -- Three weeks ago, Rick Sutcliffe had doubts that he would be ready to pitch in these National League playoffs.

The Chicago right-hander, who started Game 3 of the championship series Saturday night with the Cubs and San Frcnisco Giants tied at a game apiece, had just walked off the mound Sept. 20 at Wrigley Field with a sore shoulder.

Sutcliffe had pitched 1 2-3 innings against Philadelphia -- his shortest stint in more than four years -- and was hurting.

'But the trainers got the swelling and the stiffness out,' Sutcliffe said on the eve of his third career playoff start. 'Then I had a good outing in Montreal (five days later).

'I needed to pitch that last day (of the regular season) in St. Louis, mentally more than anything else. I needed to find home plate and see if I could use all my pitches.'

Sutcliffe beat the Cardinals that day for his 16th victory of the season. The last time he won 16, it was in 17 decisions for the Cubs in their division-winning season of 1985.

Now, after six days off, Sutcliffe said he felt healthy enough to take on Kevin Mitchell, Will Clark and the rest of the Giants. He said he's not going to spend his time analyzing the San Francisco batters.

'I'm going to pitch my game,' said Sutcliffe, who had two losses, a no-decision and 4.03 ERA against the Giants in the regular season. 'I have a pretty good idea, since I've pitched against them in the past, where they hurt me. I'm not the type of guy that takes their weaknesses and exploit them. I'm going to use my expertise.'

Sutcliffe, though, realizes what Mitchell and Clark have done this season. And he's incredulous.

'I think of Candlestick as a pitcher's ballpark,' he said. 'It's amazing what Clark and Mitchell have done. Not only did they each drive in 100 runs, both of them scored 100 runs. They are two incredible offensive machines.'[/url]

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 06, 2015, 12:49:50 PM

QuoteSAN FRANCISCO -- Three weeks ago, Rick Sutcliffe had doubts that he would be ready to pitch in these National League playoffs.

The Chicago right-hander, who started Game 3 of the championship series Saturday night with the Cubs and San Frcnisco Giants tied at a game apiece, had just walked off the mound Sept. 20 at Wrigley Field with a sore shoulder.

Sutcliffe had pitched 1 2-3 innings against Philadelphia -- his shortest stint in more than four years -- and was hurting.

'But the trainers got the swelling and the stiffness out,' Sutcliffe said on the eve of his third career playoff start. 'Then I had a good outing in Montreal (five days later).

'I needed to pitch that last day (of the regular season) in St. Louis, mentally more than anything else. I needed to find home plate and see if I could use all my pitches.'

Sutcliffe beat the Cardinals that day for his 16th victory of the season. The last time he won 16, it was in 17 decisions for the Cubs in their division-winning season of 1985.

Now, after six days off, Sutcliffe said he felt healthy enough to take on Kevin Mitchell, Will Clark and the rest of the Giants. He said he's not going to spend his time analyzing the San Francisco batters.

'I'm going to pitch my game,' said Sutcliffe, who had two losses, a no-decision and 4.03 ERA against the Giants in the regular season. 'I have a pretty good idea, since I've pitched against them in the past, where they hurt me. I'm not the type of guy that takes their weaknesses and exploit them. I'm going to use my expertise.'

Sutcliffe, though, realizes what Mitchell and Clark have done this season. And he's incredulous.

'I think of Candlestick as a pitcher's ballpark,' he said. 'It's amazing what Clark and Mitchell have done. Not only did they each drive in 100 runs, both of them scored 100 runs. They are two incredible offensive machines.'[/url]

Jesus Christ: the meatball is strong in this one.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2015, 01:04:38 PM »

SAN FRANCISCO -- Three weeks ago, Rick Sutcliffe had doubts that he would be ready to pitch in these National League playoffs.

So Chuck insists he remembers, at the time, clamoring for Sutcliffe to start Game 1...in spite of the fact that Sutcliffe's shoulder being kept in place with twine and bubblegum was a matter of readily-available public information.

So even taking at face value that Chuck was the sole voice in the wilderness taking this stance in 1989 (a fact of which I remain skeptical), this would simply make Chuck as wrong during the 80's as he is in the twenty-teens. 

Chuck:  Wrong for any decade, wrong for America.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 06, 2015, 01:04:38 PM

SAN FRANCISCO -- Three weeks ago, Rick Sutcliffe had doubts that he would be ready to pitch in these National League playoffs.

So Chuck insists he remembers, at the time, clamoring for Sutcliffe to start Game 1...in spite of the fact that Sutcliffe's shoulder being kept in place with twine and bubblegum was a matter of readily-available public information.

So even taking at face value that Chuck was the sole voice in the wilderness taking this stance in 1989 (a fact of which I remain skeptical), this would simply make Chuck as wrong during the 80's as he is in the twenty-teens.  

Chuck:  Wrong for any decade, wrong for America.

Plus as you pointed out, Sutcliffe lost! Gave up 3 ER in 6 innings in what was, as Sutcliffe himself pointed out, a pitcher's park at Candlestick. Sure he might not have gotten shelled as badly in game one as Maddux did, but there's basically no evidence that Sutcliffe would have won game one, or that Maddux wouldn't have gone and lost game 3, and the Cubs pen wouldn't have blown multiple late leads as they did anyway, so why hold on this for a quarter of a century?

This isn't like wondering what would have happened if Dusty had just asked Joe Borowski to get a 5 out save or something. *grumbles*
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 06, 2015, 01:16:46 PM

Chuck:  Wrong for any decade, wrong for America.

Plus as you pointed out, Sutcliffe lost! Gave up 3 ER in 6 innings in what was, as Sutcliffe himself pointed out, a pitcher's park at Candlestick. Sure he might not have gotten shelled as badly in game one as Maddux did, but there's basically no evidence that Sutcliffe would have won game one, or that Maddux wouldn't have gone and lost game 3, and the Cubs pen wouldn't have blown multiple late leads as they did anyway, so why hold on this for a quarter of a century?

This isn't like wondering what would have happened if Dusty had just asked Joe Borowski to get a 5 out save or something. *grumbles*

Well, Maddux gave up 8 in 4 and losses mean nothing, but your point stands.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2015, 01:39:36 PM »

I only have to be right for District 30.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 06, 2015, 01:39:36 PM

I only have to be right for District 30.

I have to assume every poor kid in that school district hates their morning ritual of having to give the bellamy salute to a picture of Alfonso Soriano flubbing a ball in the outfield.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2015, 03:40:56 PM »
This guy. 
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2015, 03:42:47 PM »
Should be an All-Star.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2015, 04:51:42 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 12, 2015, 03:42:47 PM
Should be an All-Star.

I'm kinda glad he's not if only so he can stay on pace to make his next regularly scheduled start.

Arrieta pitching = must watch TV.  The guy's a goddamn delight.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2015, 04:56:42 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 12, 2015, 04:51:42 PM
Should be an All-Star.

I'm kinda glad he's not if only so he can stay on pace to make his next regularly scheduled start.

He started and threw 9 innings today so he probably wouldn't pitch in the game.  He should be on the list, though.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 12, 2015, 04:56:42 PM
Should be an All-Star.

He started and threw 9 innings today so he probably wouldn't pitch in the game.  He should be on the list, though.

Agree with both of the above statements. If this snub hurts him contractually, I have no idea if it does, it's absolutely awful. But he's handled it all very well in the interviews I've seen. He's my favorite bearded Cubs righty since the Red Baron. May he pitch 1,000 years and never again share a shower stall with Snork.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2015, 10:35:36 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 13, 2015, 10:29:02 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 12, 2015, 04:56:42 PM
Should be an All-Star.

Agree with both of the above statements. If this snub hurts him contractually, I have no idea if it does, it's absolutely awful. But he's handled it all very well in the interviews I've seen. He's my favorite bearded Cubs righty since the Red Baron. May he pitch 1,000 years and never again share a shower stall with Snork.

Yeah I thought about that after Sterling's reply.  He wouldn't pitch anyway since he threw his gem yesterday, and his omission from the roster may well have cost him some money which would suck and be entirely undeserved.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2015, 04:43:21 PM »
Arrieta was ok but he gave up a run that fucking overpaid assshole piece of shit they could have had Liriano instead.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2015, 05:10:32 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 13, 2015, 04:43:21 PM
Arrieta was ok but he gave up a run that fucking overpaid assshole piece of shit they could have had Liriano instead.

Yeah the Liriano suggestion is even dumber than the fucking Lester hate. This the same Liriano who has never pitched 200 innings?  That the guy you wanna give 3 years to?