News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,551 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2015, 09:46:37 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 30, 2015, 11:04:36 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 30, 2015, 10:12:35 PM
Time for a sideswipe:

"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman." -- Jeff Samardzija

I must find this article.

This is absurd: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-07-02/sports/ct-spt-0703-cubs-moves-chicago-20130703_1_carlos-marmol-international-signing-bonus-slots-steve-clevenger

As much as I truly despise Snork, he seems to be saying some nice things about a teammate and friend in response to a question from a reporter post-trade. If anybody, even Theo, had said something like, "Jake Arrieta is going to be the best pitcher in the NL in two years, bitches, watch," we'd have us a something.

But still, fuck Snork. I'm glad he's dead.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »
When you look at his splits for the month, they're pretty hard to believe. 4-1, a 1.93 ERA, and he allowed only 28 hits and 11 walks in 42.2 innings of work.

Except those were his insanely good July splits, upon which he improved in August. He's allowed only 19 hits this month, and only 2 earned runs. This has to be the best baseball we will ever see from a pitcher. Phenomenal.
M'lady.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2015, 10:18:16 AM »
Two years ago, Arrieta was mostly pitching in AAA and was basically the poster child for mediocrity, putting up a 4.08 ERA and 1.35 WHIP in 15 starts. Now he wears mustache pajamas to his no-hitter press conferences. What a world we live in.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2015, 10:20:15 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 31, 2015, 10:18:16 AM
Two years ago, Arrieta was mostly pitching in AAA and was basically the poster child for mediocrity, putting up a 4.08 ERA and 1.35 WHIP in 15 starts. Now he wears mustache pajamas to his no-hitter press conferences. What a world we live in.

I did enjoy Kershaw's quote before the game saying when the Dodgers faced him in Baltimore they said he had some of the nastiest stuff they'd seen and now that he's got it under control it's terrifying. Then, boom, no hitter.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on August 31, 2015, 09:53:56 AM
When you look at his splits for the month, they're pretty hard to believe. 4-1, a 1.93 ERA, and he allowed only 28 hits and 11 walks in 42.2 innings of work.

Except those were his insanely good July splits, upon which he improved in August. He's allowed only 19 hits this month, and only 2 earned runs. This has to be the best baseball we will ever see from a pitcher. Phenomenal.

Hi.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2015, 11:02:39 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 31, 2015, 10:22:29 AM

Hi.

Orel Hershiser is a fucking cummunist.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »

That whole conversation they described between Jake and Theo when he first got to Chicago must have really twisted the knife for Orioles fans. He basically said the Orioles had tinkered with his delivery so much he couldn't tell up from down and all he wanted was for the Cubs to just let him go back to throwing the way that felt most natural to him, and good things have followed.

I'm sure the Cubs have done more than just get the hell out of his way, and there was a long hug and words exchanged between him and Chris Bosio that looked fairly emotional so I'm sure Jake gives a lot of credit to Chris for his success as well, but if Baltimore wasted all of that talent by trying to fix what wasn't broken, that's gotta hurt.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2015, 11:35:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 31, 2015, 11:25:37 AM

That whole conversation they described between Jake and Theo when he first got to Chicago must have really twisted the knife for Orioles fans. He basically said the Orioles had tinkered with his delivery so much he couldn't tell up from down and all he wanted was for the Cubs to just let him go back to throwing the way that felt most natural to him, and good things have followed.

I'm sure the Cubs have done more than just get the hell out of his way, and there was a long hug and words exchanged between him and Chris Bosio that looked fairly emotional so I'm sure Jake gives a lot of credit to Chris for his success as well, but if Baltimore wasted all of that talent by trying to fix what wasn't broken, that's gotta hurt.

He was not exactly terrible in 2010 and up into June of 2011, pitching for a lousy team trying to rebuild. In 2011, they hired a pitching coach named Rick Adair, and he quit his post in August 2013 (one month into Scott Feldman's tenure with Baltimore). Arrieta has politely alluded to not caring for Adair's ptiching philosophy, whatever it is.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2015, 11:58:24 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 31, 2015, 11:35:17 AM

He was not exactly terrible in 2010 and up into June of 2011, pitching for a lousy team trying to rebuild. In 2011, they hired a pitching coach named Rick Adair, and he quit his post in August 2013 (one month into Scott Feldman's tenure with Baltimore). Arrieta has politely alluded to not caring for Adair's ptiching philosophy, whatever it is.

I believe the Orioles at the time had also tried to discourage what they saw as overreliance on the cutter by many of their pitching prospects, and that nasty slider/cutter hybrid that Jake throws is what makes him truly elite.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 31, 2015, 11:58:24 AM
Quote from: Brownie on August 31, 2015, 11:35:17 AM

I believe the Orioles at the time had also tried to discourage what they saw as overreliance on the cutter by many of their pitching prospects, and that nasty slider/cutter hybrid that Jake throws is what makes him truly elite.

Slutter

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2015, 01:58:50 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 31, 2015, 10:22:29 AM

Hi.

Sorry -- to be clear, I meant to imply it's the best we'll see from a Cubs pitcher, specifically.
M'lady.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2015, 04:27:32 PM »
8IP, 4H, 0R. He's slipping.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 05, 2015, 04:27:32 PM

This is your drop the mic moment. Grab that brass ring.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2015, 06:41:59 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 05, 2015, 08:55:54 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 05, 2015, 04:27:32 PM

This is your drop the mic moment. Grab that brass ring.

8IP, 6H, 1ER.  He's done lost it.  That line won't be enough to beat Cole or Liriano at PNC.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2015, 01:42:27 AM »
That's probably the worst game Jake's pitched in over 2 months (lots of 2-0 counts in the first 4 IP, uncharacteristic of him) and yet he still ended up throwing 8 innings and allowed 1 run and managed to lower his ERA.

He has been positively Sutcliffian v.1984 since June.  His viability for the Cy Young is so less laughable than it was a month ago.  The.  Balls.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs