News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,605 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 25, 2015, 08:42:24 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 25, 2015, 08:29:51 AM
Quote from: Yeti on September 25, 2015, 08:25:29 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 25, 2015, 08:22:21 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 25, 2015, 07:42:18 AM
Quote from: R-V on September 24, 2015, 09:19:14 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 24, 2015, 10:59:37 AM
Quote from: Eli on September 24, 2015, 10:45:42 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 24, 2015, 08:21:23 AM
I also expect Bryant to get at least one vote, honestly, since he's arguably been more valuable to this team than Rizzo, at least according to Fangraphs.

I've wondered about this for weeks. Why is Rizzo getting MVP buzz when he hasn't even been the most valuable position player on his own team? I mean, he's obviously been fantastic, but why is there no similar talk for Bryant?

Probably because Rizzo has the better slashline (although the gap has narrowed) and also because Rizzo has carried the team most of the year, at times when others have slumped. Bryant's late season surge has been amazing and he'll end the year with the more valuable season, but I get anyone who has watched this team all year long touting Tony as the steady hand that's rarely faltered.

(advance apology for wading knee deep into stuff I'm not too knowledgeable on)

Here's what I don't get: Fangraphs has Rizzo with -10.6 defensive WAR. Now I get that even the absolute best defensive 1B are going to have a negative defensive WAR due to the relative lack of value for 1B defense compared to other positions. But Rizzo's number for this year is significantly worse than it was in 2013 & 2014 (both years around -4) and he ranks 15th out of 20 qualifying 1B. Just based on the eye test I feel like Rizzo has been better defensively this year than last and I don't understand how he could be ranked below league average. So my questions are: why does he rank so low this year, and would he be smoking Bryant in overall WAR if you insert last year's defensive numbers?

There was a lot of debate about Rizzo's defense when he made that play in the stands and that Matt Trueblood fellow (has anyone managed to follow him for more than a few weeks? His info is sometimes useful but my word is that kid a fucking dick) said something about Rizzo being "borderline unplayable" on defense, whereas I heard someone else cite that he was above average in defensive runs saved?

I think there's just something kinda wonky in general about the first base defensive metrics. I certainly don't think Tony is a liability there by any stretch.

That Trueblood guy is a shitbag. Anything he says is trash just because he tries so hard to be the emotionless commenter. There's a lot of hockey dudes like that and I hate em.

The one thing I admire about guys like Sahadev is that they can play nice with these types and never go on rants or scorn them with dickish manual RTs. I could never be in the media.

Trueblood is a penis: https://twitter.com/MATrueblood/status/640628792940064768

Quote from: some dude on the twitsstop it you're not smarter than Joe. Stop arguing this and admit you messed up

Quote from: TruedickI'm not smarter than Joe Maddon. I never said that. I will say that I'm a better tactician, because I am. Many are.

He actually said that... Sounds like a great follow

I'm surprised you went with that example of his douchebaggery and not his campaign of JAKE ARRIETA CLEARLY HAS A FOREIGN SUBSTANCE ON HIS ARM.

I mean he can see it from his TV, so he's obviously right, and I guess every team that plays Jake Arrieta and presumably has scouts and execs watching on TV and seeing him up close doesn't see and never asks for someone to go take a fucking look.

Given that I don't follow him, I don't catch *all* the controversies.

And, you must answer for your sins, son: https://twitter.com/StartKyleOrton/status/605103920357056513

*grabs pitchfork*

It's one thing to say that Maddon's not the best tactician. It's another to think you're better than he is.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #256 on: September 25, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on September 25, 2015, 08:51:20 AM
I also expect Bryant to get at least one vote, honestly, since he's arguably been more valuable to this team than Rizzo, at least according to Fangraphs.

I've wondered about this for weeks. Why is Rizzo getting MVP buzz when he hasn't even been the most valuable position player on his own team? I mean, he's obviously been fantastic, but why is there no similar talk for Bryant?

Probably because Rizzo has the better slashline (although the gap has narrowed) and also because Rizzo has carried the team most of the year, at times when others have slumped. Bryant's late season surge has been amazing and he'll end the year with the more valuable season, but I get anyone who has watched this team all year long touting Tony as the steady hand that's rarely faltered.

Here's what I don't get: Fangraphs has Rizzo with -10.6 defensive WAR. Now I get that even the absolute best defensive 1B are going to have a negative defensive WAR due to the relative lack of value for 1B defense compared to other positions. But Rizzo's number for this year is significantly worse than it was in 2013 & 2014 (both years around -4) and he ranks 15th out of 20 qualifying 1B. Just based on the eye test I feel like Rizzo has been better defensively this year than last and I don't understand how he could be ranked below league average. So my questions are: why does he rank so low this year, and would he be smoking Bryant in overall WAR if you insert last year's defensive numbers?

There was a lot of debate about Rizzo's defense when he made that play in the stands and that Matt Trueblood fellow (has anyone managed to follow him for more than a few weeks? His info is sometimes useful but my word is that kid a fucking dick) said something about Rizzo being "borderline unplayable" on defense, whereas I heard someone else cite that he was above average in defensive runs saved?

I think there's just something kinda wonky in general about the first base defensive metrics. I certainly don't think Tony is a liability there by any stretch.

That Trueblood guy is a shitbag. Anything he says is trash just because he tries so hard to be the emotionless commenter. There's a lot of hockey dudes like that and I hate em.

The one thing I admire about guys like Sahadev is that they can play nice with these types and never go on rants or scorn them with dickish manual RTs. I could never be in the media.

Quote from: some dude on the twitsstop it you're not smarter than Joe. Stop arguing this and admit you messed up

Quote from: TruedickI'm not smarter than Joe Maddon. I never said that. I will say that I'm a better tactician, because I am. Many are.

I'm surprised you went with that example of his douchebaggery and not his campaign of JAKE ARRIETA CLEARLY HAS A FOREIGN SUBSTANCE ON HIS ARM.

I mean he can see it from his TV, so he's obviously right, and I guess every team that plays Jake Arrieta and presumably has scouts and execs watching on TV and seeing him up close doesn't see and never asks for someone to go take a fucking look.

And, you must answer for your sins, son: https://twitter.com/StartKyleOrton/status/605103920357056513

*grabs pitchfork*

It's one thing to say that Maddon's not the best tactician. It's another to think you're better than he is.

I'll also admit that my bitching was mostly just an overreaction to the fact that in a lot of those early season situations Joe didn't actually have ANY good options. It's easier to look smart when you're not using Brian Schlitter or Phil Coke or Johnny Buckets in meaningful situations by necessity.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: September 25, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 25, 2015, 08:53:03 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on September 25, 2015, 08:51:20 AM

*grabs pitchfork*

I'll also admit that my bitching was mostly just an overreaction to the fact that in a lot of those early season situations Joe didn't actually have ANY good options. It's easier to look smart when you're not using Brian Schlitter or Phil Coke or Johnny Buckets in meaningful situations by necessity.

Black and White world. Pick a side. And you did. You and Trueblood, forever

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2015, 09:13:36 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 25, 2015, 09:01:07 AM
Black and White world. Pick a side.

Twitter: summarized.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 25, 2015, 03:03:29 AM

Well, despite all the showreel stuff and what is obviously an outstanding baseball brain, he's noticeably whiffed on a couple of picks in recent weeks.  I'm very, very happy to have Tony Ballgame at 1B for the Cubs, but a genuine gold glover makes those plays.

I'm not saying he should be a Gold Glover. I'm saying he's at least average if not above average defensively and I'm mystified why the Fangraphs measure says otherwise.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2015, 10:38:26 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 25, 2015, 09:44:36 AM
Quote from: Tonker on September 25, 2015, 03:03:29 AM

Well, despite all the showreel stuff and what is obviously an outstanding baseball brain, he's noticeably whiffed on a couple of picks in recent weeks.  I'm very, very happy to have Tony Ballgame at 1B for the Cubs, but a genuine gold glover makes those plays.

I'm not saying he should be a Gold Glover. I'm saying he's at least average if not above average defensively and I'm mystified why the Fangraphs measure says otherwise.

I'll say it, based purely on the empirical analysis of my own eyes, coupled with the undeniable evidence that I only watch Cubs games and I can't fairly actually compare him to any other first basemen. His defense has saved the Cubs at times, and in some big games.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »

So in the annals of Cubs first basemen's defense it's safe to say that Anthony Rizzo falls somewhere between Fred McGriff and Derrick Lee?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 25, 2015, 10:47:28 AM

So in the annals of Cubs first basemen's defense it's safe to say that Anthony Rizzo falls somewhere between Fred McGriff and Derrick Lee?

What's funny is I think many defensive metrics actually say Lee was kind of overrated defensively. I prefer to just admit the truth that defensive metrics are still far from perfect and Tony seems to be a good defensive first baseman, numbers be damned.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2015, 11:37:39 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 25, 2015, 08:39:54 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 25, 2015, 08:38:14 AM
I'm  delighted by his apparent lack of self-awareness.  How can you tweet that and not realize (or care) that's it going to come off as appallingly wrong and conceited, and deserving of the cruelest mocking?  Holy fuckballs.

Also, when your avatar proves you've never seen a real boob.

My Muttleying has yet to subside.  Having trouble breathing.  Send help.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2015, 11:54:12 AM »
what should not be lost is that I believe Trueblood first made the "I am better than Joe Maddon" comment when he said that Joe should pinch hit for Montero with the bases loaded vs. a left handed pitcher for the Diamondbacks (and no outs) and Miggy promptly hit a grand slam.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 25, 2015, 11:54:12 AM
what should not be lost is that I believe Trueblood first made the "I am better than Joe Maddon" comment when he said that Joe should pinch hit for Montero with the bases loaded vs. a left handed pitcher for the Diamondbacks (and no outs) and Miggy promptly hit a grand slam.

Yabut OUTCOMES DON'T VALIDATE PROCESSES!

It says so in his Twitter bio.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2015, 12:07:14 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 25, 2015, 12:03:32 PM

Does his Twitter bio also say, "I am stupid y'all. Seriously"? Because if not...

Edit: sorry. This was a really, really lame joke.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »

The funny thing is Montero has a better OPS vs lefties than righties this year. I know that's SSS and not his career norm but it was certainly not such a glaring issue that it's worth pinch hitting for him with the bases loaded and zero outs (and then leaving you with David Ross potentially taking key at bats in the later innings). Certainly not enough for him to declare himself smarter than Joe Maddon.

Then today he declared that literally NO managers are good tacticians, and Joe Maddon is the best of them, so he is literally saying he is better than all managers, period.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2015, 12:14:22 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 25, 2015, 12:09:11 PM

The funny thing is Montero has a better OPS vs lefties than righties this year. I know that's SSS and not his career norm but it was certainly not such a glaring issue that it's worth pinch hitting for him with the bases loaded and zero outs (and then leaving you with David Ross potentially taking key at bats in the later innings). Certainly not enough for him to declare himself smarter than Joe Maddon.

Then today he declared that literally NO managers are good tacticians, and Joe Maddon is the best of them, so he is literally saying he is better than all managers, period.

Are we sure this isn't actually Fro?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2015, 12:20:44 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 25, 2015, 11:37:39 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 25, 2015, 08:39:54 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 25, 2015, 08:38:14 AM
I'm  delighted by his apparent lack of self-awareness.  How can you tweet that and not realize (or care) that's it going to come off as appallingly wrong and conceited, and deserving of the cruelest mocking?  Holy fuckballs.

Also, when your avatar proves you've never seen a real boob.

My Muttleying has yet to subside.  Having trouble breathing.  Send help.

Yeah, this was good stuff right here.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.