News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,505 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2015, 08:34:46 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 21, 2015, 08:24:12 PM
Bump

I love when Jake does that shit.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2015, 08:37:29 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 22, 2015, 08:34:46 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 21, 2015, 08:24:12 PM
Bump

I love when Jake does that shit.

Not to invoke the P word but Jake is the only one of the guys on this staff who I can usually tell from the first inning whether the other team even has a shot or not. The way Jake was dealing I said ballgame when Rizzo hit his homer to make it 2-0. I only ever really felt that way before about Prior.

Not a knock on Z or Lester or any of the other legitimately great pitchers they've had between now and then, but Arrieta is just in that category where if he's got everything working fuck you it's over.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2015, 03:49:08 PM »
Bump. Celebrated the two year anniversary of the day Theo pantsed the Orioles front office with 8 innnings, 7 Ks, one run.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 02, 2015, 03:49:08 PM
Bump. Celebrated the two year anniversary of the day Theo pantsed the Orioles front office with 8 innnings, 7 Ks, one run.

And no walks. This dude is so dope.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2015, 05:12:54 PM »

It took me a really long time to cotton on to what Arrieta was doing because I was fucking convinced that, for what the Cubs gave up for him and Strop, he couldn't possibly be worth anything at all.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2015, 05:28:21 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 02, 2015, 04:34:20 PM

Some days he's almost too filthy for his own good. He'll K 13 guys but throw 115 pitches through 6. Days like today when he's just toying with fuckers and getting weak grounders are the most fun

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2015, 05:31:46 PM »
He threw a slider in the 8th that looked like a cutter and was headed straight toward the center of Montero's glove. Right as it crossed the plate it appeared to dive about a foot left and Montero barely got a fingertip on it. Absolutely filthy late break.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2015, 05:59:40 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 02, 2015, 05:28:21 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on July 02, 2015, 04:34:20 PM

Some days he's almost too filthy for his own good. He'll K 13 guys but throw 115 pitches through 6. Days like today when he's just toying with fuckers and getting weak grounders are the most fun

I'd compare him to peak Prior in this regard but that would make me sad and I want to be happy.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »
Way ahead of things here, but if the Cubs get in the Coin Flip Game -- Arrieta has to start, right? I feel like this organization would be smart enough to put aside contract status and let the best pitcher on the team start that game.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2015, 08:04:54 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 02, 2015, 07:54:59 PM
Way ahead of things here, but if the Cubs get in the Coin Flip Game -- Arrieta has to start, right? I feel like this organization would be smart enough to put aside contract status and let the best pitcher on the team start that game.

I don't think there's any doubt Arrieta gets the nod if both progress at the rate they currently are*.

It's kind of like 1989.  Sutcliffe was the Opening Day Starter (though Maddux emerged the previous season....but then so did Arrieta last year).  By the time the playoffs rolled around, though, Maddux was clearly the ace and he got the Game 1 nod.  

*There's always the matter of Maddon not having control over it.  If the regular season comes down to the wire, they may need to just concern themselves with winning the game that's in front of them and the coin flip starter might just be whose spot is next.  Kind of like 1998, where Mark Clark--at best their 4th best starter for the playoffs--started Game 1 of the LDS simply because Tapani and Trachsel had needed to pitch their turn in order for the Cubs to stay alive, and good ole' Terry Mulholland was pitching every damn day in relief.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2015, 10:29:41 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 02, 2015, 08:04:54 PM

I don't think there's any doubt Arrieta gets the nod if both progress at the rate they currently are*.

It's kind of like 1989.  Sutcliffe was the Opening Day Starter (though Maddux emerged the previous season....but then so did Arrieta last year).  By the time the playoffs rolled around, though, Maddux was clearly the ace and he got the Game 1 nod.  

*There's always the matter of Maddon not having control over it.  If the regular season comes down to the wire, they may need to just concern themselves with winning the game that's in front of them and the coin flip starter might just be whose spot is next.  Kind of like 1998, where Mark Clark--at best their 4th best starter for the playoffs--started Game 1 of the LDS simply because Tapani and Trachsel had needed to pitch their turn in order for the Cubs to stay alive, and good ole' Terry Mulholland was pitching every damn day in relief.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2015, 11:11:18 PM »

There was also the time that Edison VoLOLquez had to start the play-in/coin-flip/"playoff" game for the Pirates and gave up a grand slam to Brandon Crawford.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2015, 08:41:29 AM »
By the time the playoffs rolled around, though, Maddux was clearly the ace and he got the Game 1 nod.  

And he shit the bed. He was young. He was scared. Zimmer screwed up those playoffs a great deal. But not starting Sut Game 1 was a bad move.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 02, 2015, 11:11:18 PM

There was also the time that Edison VoLOLquez had to start the play-in/coin-flip/"playoff" game for the Pirates and gave up a grand slam to Brandon Crawford.

Yes, there was that one time Pittsburgh played a baseball game.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2015, 11:34:27 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 03, 2015, 08:41:29 AM
By the time the playoffs rolled around, though, Maddux was clearly the ace and he got the Game 1 nod.  

And he shit the bed. He was young. He was scared. Zimmer screwed up those playoffs a great deal. But not starting Sut Game 1 was a bad move.

Hindsight. 

Sutcliffe was their third best pitcher that year and pitched Game 3 (and lost).  Maddux was a two-time All-Star by the time the '89 playoffs rolled around.  If Zimmer was to be criticized for anything it'd be for leaving Bielecki in too long in Game 5, but you're only knocking the decision to start Maddux in Game 1 with the benefit of 25 years of hindsight.  I PROMISE you not a single person questioned that decision at the time.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs