News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread  ( 44,278 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 25, 2013, 10:26:05 AM
Quote from: SKO on November 25, 2013, 09:45:22 AM
I will say that my faith in Emery will waiver a bit after this year if he keeps up this "Shea is a 3-down DE" farce. A big part of being a good GM is knowing when to admit you fucked up and move on.

He sees it. But I don't know what else he can say right now. It does no good to bad-mouth him. In a best-case scenario, Shea has a couple more flashes of competence like he had at Green Bay and gets traded for a 5-7 rounder to a team that wants to turn him into a 3-4 LB. Worst case, you completely destroy his confidence, get nothing in return and cut him. Let the second part happen organically.

The team's poor showing in the red zone the past couple of weeks would seem to indicate that the quarterback is incapable of making the throws to his big receivers so opponents are intelligently loading up against the run. But yeah, get rid of Cutler and blah blah fuck the meatheads in their own fat fucking faces.

I had the same thought - that the Bears offense on goal-to-go inside the 5 sucked much less with Cutler than it does with McCoughan - can SKO back that up with evidence from his beloved PFF database?

It also doesn't help that Michael Bush contracted polio sometime last summer.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 25, 2013, 08:31:27 AM
Quote from: Slaky on November 24, 2013, 09:12:30 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on November 24, 2013, 02:24:10 PM
Fuck these goddamn gutless fucking assholes.

Also, who does Michael Bush's agent have pictures of? Cut his worthless ass.

Someone has to temper their expectations

Yeah, that's my problem with all of this rage. To be frustrated as shit by the situation is understandable, but if you told any of us before the year that the defense would lose Tillman, Briggs, Melton, Collins, Williams, and Hayden we'd have said "oh, okay. That defense is going to blow."

And yet people seem surprised and enraged that a defensive line that's getting about half it's reps right now from two rookies who played FCS football last year and Shea fucking MacClellin can't stop the run. I mean other than firebarning Conte and Wright, who should be better than what they've been, there's no one on this defense who you can actually be mad at.

Even dumber are the "it wouldn't be like this under Lovie" crowd or the "Phil Emery should have anticipated a biblical plague of injuries on defense and prepared accordingly, because he had time and resources to do that while he was busy fixing the offense." Certainly no one would have rioted if he'd spent time signing and drafting backups and replacements for Peppers and Tillman and the back up to Melton's backup who also suffered a torn ACL instead of fixing the offensive line or replacing Kellen Davis with Martellus Bennett.

Not that I'm moving to "BLAME EMSTINK" on this count, because he's obviously had other more pressing priorities...

And, yeah, losing both Melton and Collins to ACL tears in succession is verging on DRose-worthy wrath of God stuff...

But the rest of those guys are 30+ on a team whose starting defense ranked second oldest in the league on opening day. Let's not pretend we're that shocked by it.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2013, 10:59:37 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 25, 2013, 10:48:14 AM

Yeah, that's my problem with all of this rage. To be frustrated as shit by the situation is understandable, but if you told any of us before the year that the defense would lose Tillman, Briggs, Melton, Collins, Williams, and Hayden we'd have said "oh, okay. That defense is going to blow."

And yet people seem surprised and enraged that a defensive line that's getting about half it's reps right now from two rookies who played FCS football last year and Shea fucking MacClellin can't stop the run. I mean other than firebarning Conte and Wright, who should be better than what they've been, there's no one on this defense who you can actually be mad at.

Even dumber are the "it wouldn't be like this under Lovie" crowd or the "Phil Emery should have anticipated a biblical plague of injuries on defense and prepared accordingly, because he had time and resources to do that while he was busy fixing the offense." Certainly no one would have rioted if he'd spent time signing and drafting backups and replacements for Peppers and Tillman and the back up to Melton's backup who also suffered a torn ACL instead of fixing the offensive line or replacing Kellen Davis with Martellus Bennett.

Not that I'm moving to "BLAME EMSTINK" on this count, because he's obviously had other more pressing priorities...

And, yeah, losing both Melton and Collins to ACL tears in succession is verging on DRose-worthy wrath of God stuff...

But the rest of those guys are 30+ on a team whose starting defense ranked second oldest in the league on opening day. Let's not pretend we're that shocked by it.

Not shocked by old players getting hurt, shocked by people saying Emery should have prepared for it. He was banking on one more year out of Jerry's fading stars because really he had no other choice.

Hell, most of the people bitching that Emery should have addressed not only the offensive line and TE positions but also somehow invented extra draft picks and cap room to load up on "depth" behind the aging stars on defense were the same ones complaining about how disrespectful he was back in the offseason to not even broach the subject of contract extensions. Imagine how bleak and depressing this team's outlook would be if he'd just handed out extensions to Tillman, Melton, Wright, etc.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 25, 2013, 08:56:47 AM

I think it's fair to blame Emery for Shea Mick Lemon being a bust and for spending a 2nd round pick on Bostic who is  out of position on just about every play. But yeah I'd say if we're assessing blame for this defense it's 80% injuries, 15% Angelo not leaving any backup depth and 5% current regime.

Intrepid Reader:  Huey:

What a GREAT nickname!

*slaps RV on back*
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2013, 03:48:17 PM »
Fire Trestink

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
I'm trying to figure out why in the fucking hell the Bears made no attempt to run the clock down on the three-and-out with three minutes left. They ran a fucking play with like 20 seconds left on the play clock and then punted with at least 15 seconds remaining.

Jesus, get Quenneville on the sideline if we want a coach from Canada.

pisomojado8

• Chocolate Salty Balls
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2013, 07:23:05 AM »
You know you're having a bad coaching day when:

a)  Leslie Frazier outcoaches you.
b)  Lovie Smith and Dave Wannstedt think you're having a bad day.

ps:  Was Trestman going for the rouge in OT?  It's the only reason I can come up with going for a 47-yard field goal in OT.  On second down.
"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time."

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2013, 07:44:37 AM »
Quote from: pisomojado8 on December 02, 2013, 07:23:05 AM

ps:  Was Trestman going for the rouge in OT?  It's the only reason I can come up with going for a 47-yard field goal in OT.  On second down.

Something Paul.  Something something douche.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2013, 08:25:47 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 02, 2013, 07:44:37 AM

no

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
I turned off my feed after Walsh's first field goal thinking the game was over. Didn't know about the flag. Didn't know about the rest of the overtime batshittedness until about one minute ago. I was satisfied enough with my belief that poor tackling and missed throws by the backup quarterback had cost them the game. I had already dealt with my depression and moved on, go Heat and all that. Robbie really missed a 47-yarder indoors? On second down?

Now I don't know if I want to live in this world. May take a vacation to Norway or something.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2013, 09:20:13 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 02, 2013, 08:25:47 AM

no

Well it's what happened last time.

Quote from: Internet Apex on June 25, 2013, 12:12:54 PM
Quote from: pisomojado8 on June 25, 2013, 12:00:13 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/20958548-573/carlos-marmol-designated-for-assignment-by-cubs.html

Another Carlos.  Gone. 

Silence, Paul. Thou art a Deutschmark.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 02, 2013, 09:20:13 AM

no

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/20958548-573/carlos-marmol-designated-for-assignment-by-cubs.html

Another Carlos.  Gone. 

Sort of.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 02, 2013, 09:20:13 AM

no

Another Carlos.  Gone. 

Trying to cozy up to Ape?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 02, 2013, 09:05:00 AM
I turned off my feed after Walsh's first field goal thinking the game was over. Didn't know about the flag. Didn't know about the rest of the overtime batshittedness until about one minute ago. I was satisfied enough with my belief that poor tackling and missed throws by the backup quarterback had cost them the game. I had already dealt with my depression and moved on, go Heat and all that. Robbie really missed a 47-yarder indoors? On second down?

Now I don't know if I want to live in this world. May take a vacation to Norway or something.

I've heard Bøttpøddle's nice this time of year.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.