News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread  ( 44,288 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 23, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 23, 2013, 12:19:43 PM
Quote from: PANK! on December 23, 2013, 11:51:36 AM
Quote from: R-V on December 23, 2013, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on December 23, 2013, 10:56:52 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 23, 2013, 10:26:35 AM
Quote from: Slaky on December 23, 2013, 10:22:16 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on December 23, 2013, 09:41:14 AM
Quote from: R-V on December 23, 2013, 09:29:03 AM
The good news is that Emery can basically dump the entire defense this offseason if he chooses. If they decide to cut bait with Peppers, Conte & McLellin, the only rotation guys that I think would still be under contract for next year are Paea, Bostic and Frey.

The bad news is, they need an entire new defense.

#EmstinkIsWonderful

#IStandWithPhil

I want this season to end so Phil can get to work. I'm excited to see him get things done.

Phil rules.

Whoa whoa whoa. We sure about that yet?

When he arrived, they had a rotating derpfest at OC, no credible wide receivers or tightends and the worst offensive line in pro football including the Canadian Football League. Fixed.

Now he has the resources needed to fix the defense in full. If he had missed on any of the above, it would be detrimental to his plan. I don't know what more I could ask of him at this point. If he chooses poorly on too many of the players he tabs for the defense, we'll re-evaluate. But as of now, I have to give him an A.

Really my only beef with Earmery is the McLelllin pick. Man that guy sucks. Maybe as a first-time GM he got nervous and accidentally referred to the dry erase draft board easel Angelo forgot to take with him.

Yeah, I generally think Emery's on the right track, but that first pick sticks in my craw.  It'd be one thing to draft a guy that everyone thought was a good pick (Chris Williams, Carimi) and said player busts out, but to take a chance on a project that it turns out you can't even remotely develop is disoncerting.  

Now, if Emery is man enough to admit his mistake and cut that pile of shit as soon as the season ends, then my faith in him will strengthen.

Speaking of high-risk, high-reward draft picks, I kind of like Alshon Jeffrey and Kyle Long. 2-of-3 is really good in that department. The rest of those first two drafts have produced zero definite contributors however. Jordan Mills, Isiah Fry, Khaseem Greene and Jon Bostic deserve another year to pan out. I don't know what else is there. I also don't know what a good or above-average draft actually looks like because I'm not some fat tard who scours draft boards in lieu of having secks with a woman in my spare time.  

Jordan Mills hasn't been a decent pick? He's started every game and the line has been better than it has in a long time.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #271 on: December 23, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 23, 2013, 12:24:39 PM
The good news is that Emery can basically dump the entire defense this offseason if he chooses. If they decide to cut bait with Peppers, Conte & McLellin, the only rotation guys that I think would still be under contract for next year are Paea, Bostic and Frey.

#EmstinkIsWonderful

#IStandWithPhil

I want this season to end so Phil can get to work. I'm excited to see him get things done.

Phil rules.

When he arrived, they had a rotating derpfest at OC, no credible wide receivers or tightends and the worst offensive line in pro football including the Canadian Football League. Fixed.

Now he has the resources needed to fix the defense in full. If he had missed on any of the above, it would be detrimental to his plan. I don't know what more I could ask of him at this point. If he chooses poorly on too many of the players he tabs for the defense, we'll re-evaluate. But as of now, I have to give him an A.

Really my only beef with Earmery is the McLelllin pick. Man that guy sucks. Maybe as a first-time GM he got nervous and accidentally referred to the dry erase draft board easel Angelo forgot to take with him.

Yeah, I generally think Emery's on the right track, but that first pick sticks in my craw.  It'd be one thing to draft a guy that everyone thought was a good pick (Chris Williams, Carimi) and said player busts out, but to take a chance on a project that it turns out you can't even remotely develop is disoncerting.  

Now, if Emery is man enough to admit his mistake and cut that pile of shit as soon as the season ends, then my faith in him will strengthen.

Speaking of high-risk, high-reward draft picks, I kind of like Alshon Jeffrey and Kyle Long. 2-of-3 is really good in that department. The rest of those first two drafts have produced zero definite contributors however. Jordan Mills, Isiah Fry, Khaseem Greene and Jon Bostic deserve another year to pan out. I don't know what else is there. I also don't know what a good or above-average draft actually looks like because I'm not some fat tard who scours draft boards in lieu of having secks with a woman in my spare time.  

Jordan Mills hasn't been a decent pick? He's started every game and the line has been better than it has in a long time.

I'm not sure what his FootballStatsVirgin scores are now, but around mid-season they were below average. He gets a lot of help too. In fact they bring in another fat guy to stand with him in some packages several plays a game. I'm not saying he sucks. I'm saying, nobody is sure yet if he's going to be the starter next year and if they brought in somebody to compete with him nobody should be shocked. Value at his draft slot? Fuckin' A. Longterm stability at the position? Not in my mind. But then again... Football Tard.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #272 on: December 23, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 23, 2013, 12:29:35 PM

#EmstinkIsWonderful

#IStandWithPhil

Phil rules.

I'm not sure what his FootballStatsVirgin scores are now, but around mid-season they were below average. He gets a lot of help too. In fact they bring in another fat guy to stand with him in some packages several plays a game. I'm not saying he sucks. I'm saying, nobody is sure yet if he's going to be the starter next year and if they brought in somebody to compete with him nobody should be shocked. Value at his draft slot? Fuckin' A. Longterm stability at the position? Not in my mind. But then again... Football Tard.

He gives up a shit ton of pressure according to PFF, but he's been about average agains tthe run. Certainly reason to hope.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #273 on: December 23, 2013, 12:56:33 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 23, 2013, 12:53:53 PM

#EmstinkIsWonderful

#IStandWithPhil

Phil rules.

He gives up a shit ton of pressure according to PFF, but he's been about average agains tthe run. Certainly reason to hope.

Like Pex said, if he's not the long term answer he's been a good stopgap. Serviceable start from a rookie picked in the 5th round? Not bad at all.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #274 on: December 23, 2013, 01:06:40 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 23, 2013, 12:56:33 PM

#EmstinkIsWonderful

#IStandWithPhil

Phil rules.

Like Pex said, if he's not the long term answer he's been a good stopgap. Serviceable start from a rookie picked in the 5th round? Not bad at all.

I've watched him closely on a couple of plays that went pear-shaped, particularly against Detroit and St. Louis (my girl lives in Indiana sometimes so I can't have secks and turn into a reclaimed football virgin). On several occasions he looked like there was something wrong with one of his legs, possibly an ankle or foot injury that prevented him from getting where he needed to be. I'm not sure if there is something going on with him that hasn't prevented him from playing but has hampered him and caused them to send in Eebin Britton (sp?) to assist him several plays a game.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2013, 01:07:55 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 23, 2013, 01:06:40 PM
Quote from: Slaky on December 23, 2013, 12:56:33 PM

#EmstinkIsWonderful

#IStandWithPhil

Phil rules.

I've watched him closely on a couple of plays that went pear-shaped, particularly against Detroit and St. Louis. On several occasions he looked like there was something wrong with one of his legs, possibly an ankle or foot injury that prevented him from getting where he needed to be. I'm not sure if there is something going on with him that hasn't prevented him from playing but has hampered him and caused them to send in Eebin Britton (sp?) to assist him several plays a game.

Eben Britton's been in a lot because Marty B fucked up his shoulder and hasn't been as effective as a blocker as he had been the last few years.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2013, 01:47:33 PM »
Mostly repeated from the shoutbox, but whatever, since Yeti asked about Pepper's cap hit which is 18.2 mil if they keep him or 9.8 mil if they don't:
So I crunched it out.

126.3 salary cap limit next year.
Bears have 79 million committed, but if they cut Peppers, BBE, and Bush that's another 14.1 million.

So that's 61 mildo. Let's say they tag Cutler at 16 mil and not even a team friendly extension. We'll say they extend Slauson at no more than 3 mil per. So that's 19 million for those two, offense done.

That's 42 million. Thanks to our awesome new CBA it takes like 3 mil a year to sign draft picks, tops.

So we're looking at 39 million minimum probably in free agency if they keep Cutler at Worst Case Scenario dollars. If he negotiates a team-friendly extension anywhere close to the 12-14 mil we're talking about that's probably 41 million in cap This year alone, assuming no Marshall extension or anything else for cap relief on offense. To me that's plenty of money to keep Jay and fix the defense and not have me laying awake at night in a cold sweat wondering if a 35 year old McCown or a rookie can be productive for a full season. Worth it to me.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 23, 2013, 01:47:33 PM
Mostly repeated from the shoutbox, but whatever, since Yeti asked about Pepper's cap hit which is 18.2 mil if they keep him or 9.8 mil if they don't:
So I crunched it out.

Bears have 79 million committed, but if they cut Peppers, BBE, and Bush that's another 14.1 million.

So that's 61 mildo. Let's say they tag Cutler at 16 mil and not even a team friendly extension. We'll say they extend Slauson at no more than 3 mil per. So that's 19 million for those two, offense done.

That's 42 million. Thanks to our awesome new CBA it takes like 3 mil a year to sign draft picks, tops.

So we're looking at 39 million minimum probably in free agency if they keep Cutler at Worst Case Scenario dollars. If he negotiates a team-friendly extension anywhere close to the 12-14 mil we're talking about that's probably 41 million in cap This year alone, assuming no Marshall extension or anything else for cap relief on offense. To me that's plenty of money to keep Jay and fix the defense and not have me laying awake at night in a cold sweat wondering if a 35 year old McCown or a rookie can be productive for a full season. Worth it to me.

I wouldn't mind spending a small handful of that loot on a new starting center and a competent tackle to compete with Mills next year. Hopefully they can find a backup RB in the draft as opposed to spending FA money on that position.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2013, 02:00:05 PM »
Quote from: R-V on December 23, 2013, 01:54:47 PM
So I crunched it out.

I wouldn't mind spending a small handful of that loot on a new starting center and a competent tackle to compete with Mills next year. Hopefully they can find a backup RB in the draft as opposed to spending FA money on that position.

There's any number of serviceable goal-line backs available for the vet minimum in free agency, I'm sure. Why you'd bother committing anything of value to a backup a the most easily replaceable position in the game I don't know.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 23, 2013, 02:00:05 PM
So I crunched it out.

There's any number of serviceable goal-line backs available for the vet minimum in free agency, I'm sure. Why you'd bother committing anything of value to a backup a the most easily replaceable position in the game I don't know.

Because Chester Taylor, Marion Barber The Turd and Michael Bush have scarred our fanbase into a belief that such things are important enough to throw obscene amounts of cash at. Make it rain, Emstink.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #280 on: December 23, 2013, 02:24:04 PM »
So I crunched it out.

What about center? RV is right - the bloated corpse of Robstink Garza needs to go.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #281 on: December 23, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 23, 2013, 02:24:04 PM
So I crunched it out.

What about center? RV is right - the bloated corpse of Robstink Garza needs to go.

Not really worried there. Centers are fairly cheap. Wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of cap hit to sign a FA center, most likely. Hopefully they do so, but in terms of how it will affect the cap my guess is not at all.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #282 on: December 23, 2013, 03:16:12 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 23, 2013, 02:03:03 PM
So I crunched it out.

Because Chester Taylor, Marion Barber The Turd and Michael Bush have scarred our fanbase into a belief that such things are important enough to throw obscene amounts of cash at. Make it rain, Emstink.

Is there any statistical evidence that having a dedicated "goal-line" back is more effective than using your starting RB as the goal-line guy?  
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #283 on: December 23, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 23, 2013, 03:16:12 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on December 23, 2013, 02:03:03 PM
So I crunched it out.

Is there any statistical evidence that having a dedicated "goal-line" back is more effective than using your starting RB as the goal-line guy?  

Actually, for the Bears this year, the exact opposite is true. Defenses stack 9 in the box against Bush, which means Forte has been more effective in short yardage because teams think they might pass.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #284 on: December 23, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
Man I had forgottten all about Chester Taylor.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs