News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beer  ( 214,323 )

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Beer
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2010, 11:39:04 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 16, 2010, 09:08:13 PM
Quote from: Fork on May 16, 2010, 08:09:26 PM

Miller Lite now has a "vortex bottle".

JO?

It's too bad the slogan isn't "grooved for your pleasure."

"Rifled, just like the human penis!"
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2010, 11:50:14 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 15, 2010, 10:51:35 PM
As for tonight, I'm about to embark on a Stout adventure, bought a mix 6-pack of six different types of Stouts to see if I can find a new favorite.

Details to follow.

Beer is wonderful.

Since I know you've all be anxiously awaiting the results of the Stout-off...

First, I should admit that I've always found Bell's Brewery to be a little overrated by people who rate things, but I'll have to give the nod to their Kalamazoo Stout as the winner of the 5-bottle Stout-off (completed over a two night period.)

Scored an 8-Ball from the fine folks at Lost Coast Brewing for 2nd place tie with Black Hawk Stout.

4th place was the Steel Toed Milk Stout from Ska Brewing company, which was definitely not one of their best efforts. Ska does an awesome job with the Buster Nut Brown and the 10-Pin Porter, but this was definitely lacking in punch. Maybe it's just a function of the "Milk Stout" but it's almost too creamy and smooth, lacking any discernible personality until the very end.

And, bringing up the rear, by a good margin was the Obsidian Black from Deschutes, who should probably just stick to the Mirror Pond.

Not surprisingly, Beer Advocate ranked my least favorite as the best of all of them.

Still to try, the Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, which packs 9.0%, probably give that a whirl tonight.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2010, 12:07:29 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 17, 2010, 11:50:14 AM
As for tonight, I'm about to embark on a Stout adventure, bought a mix 6-pack of six different types of Stouts to see if I can find a new favorite.

Details to follow.

Beer is wonderful.

First, I should admit that I've always found Bell's Brewery to be a little overrated by people who rate things, but I'll have to give the nod to their Kalamazoo Stout as the winner of the 5-bottle Stout-off (completed over a two night period.)

Scored an 8-Ball from the fine folks at Lost Coast Brewing for 2nd place tie with Black Hawk Stout.

4th place was the Steel Toed Milk Stout from Ska Brewing company, which was definitely not one of their best efforts. Ska does an awesome job with the Buster Nut Brown and the 10-Pin Porter, but this was definitely lacking in punch. Maybe it's just a function of the "Milk Stout" but it's almost too creamy and smooth, lacking any discernible personality until the very end.

And, bringing up the rear, by a good margin was the Obsidian Black from Deschutes, who should probably just stick to the Mirror Pond.

Not surprisingly, Beer Advocate ranked my least favorite as the best of all of them.

Still to try, the Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, which packs 9.0%, probably give that a whirl tonight.

Old Rasputin is incredible.. you can get it on tap at some fine establishments in Chicago. I've learned that drinking them like a domestic for an hour to start the night is a bad idea.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »
Quote from: BH on May 17, 2010, 12:07:29 PM
Quote from: PenPho on May 17, 2010, 11:50:14 AM

Details to follow.

Beer is wonderful.

Old Rasputin is incredible.. you can get it on tap at some fine establishments in Chicago. I've learned that drinking them like a domestic for an hour to start the night is a bad idea.

Never had it on tap but seen it on definitely a few restaurants by the bottle. It packs a punch.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2010, 02:26:48 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 16, 2010, 06:31:57 PM
Damn, sons. Now I feel like a Chad for drinking nothing but Dos Equis Amber and Birra Morretti all weekend.

My greatest ever holiday was Sicily in 2006 when STonk was up the duff with Tonklet no. 1.  We spent a week in and around Palermo and then rented a convertible and drove across the Island to spend a week on the slopes of Mount Etna.  I drank the large (660ml) bottles of Birra Moretti, ice cold, to the exclusion of almost everything else all the time I was there.  I really, really enjoyed it.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
Damn, sons. Now I feel like a Chad for drinking nothing but Dos Equis Amber and Birra Morretti all weekend.

When I studied in Itally, I tended to gravitate towards Moretti over Peroni* because of this guy. I swear he looks even drunker on the cans than he does on the bottles.

*When it came to Italian beers. My regular beer of choice there was actually Tetley's. Because, when in Rome Florence, drink as the Brits do.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on May 17, 2010, 03:31:17 PM

When I studied in Itally, I tended to gravitate towards Moretti over Peroni* because of this guy. I swear he looks even drunker on the cans than he does on the bottles.

*When it came to Italian beers. My regular beer of choice there was actually Tetley's. Because, when in Rome Florence, drink as the Brits do.

At Fornello's - Irving Park and Sheridan - they have a pretty good-sized mural of this bloke painted back by the johns. I took a cool picture of myself with him on my cell. You don't want to see that. But go to Fornello's, get the veal parm and check out this mural by the restroom. You won't be disappointed.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2010, 08:53:08 AM »
I have rediscovered my favorite beer only last week:

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »

Organic beer?

Fucking hippie.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 18, 2010, 08:53:08 AM
I have rediscovered my favorite beer only last week:

I just saw Sam Smith's Organic, but the only ones I saw were Raspberry and Cherry, so I stayed far away, because I like girls.

Definitely need to give this a shot though.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2010, 11:05:43 AM »
120 Minute IPA will be shipping in Late June/Early July says Dogfish Head on Book Face.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2010, 11:30:06 AM »
I prefer that my beer is full of pesticides.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2010, 11:30:54 AM »
I brew my own beer, you sheep.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2010, 11:37:15 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 18, 2010, 11:30:54 AM
You can brew beer but you can't tile a bathroom?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2010, 11:50:30 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 18, 2010, 11:30:54 AM

I have had probably 12 different beers that friend's have brewed. I prefer buying my own beer over all of them.
I get why people brew their own beers, the idea of it is cool. But in practice, I'll leave it to the experts who have a lot more experience and processes in place to make sure it's good.