News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beer  ( 214,338 )

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Beer
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 24, 2010, 03:04:53 PM
Quote from: PenPho on May 24, 2010, 12:47:49 PM
Quote from: Slaky on May 15, 2010, 10:59:49 PM
Quote from: PenPho on May 15, 2010, 10:51:35 PM
Quote from: Slaky on May 14, 2010, 08:34:32 PM
Made a quick beer run to Binny's. Father in law is flying in tomorrow so I wanted to have something interesting for us to sit around and drink while I nod, laugh and pretend to understand the version of English he speaks.

Picked up a sixer of Lagunitas' new Hairy Eyeball ale. At 8.8 ABV I'm sure this will kick my ass in. It's an American Strong Ale which essentially just means ales that are over 7%.

Also grabbed a large bottle of Stone's Old Guardian which is a barleywine which my brother (who has actually taken the first part of the exams to become a Cicerone) is quite fond of. I like to call him when I'm walking the aisles to find out what's good. He's a beer savant, no lie. Anyway, this one clocks in at 11.20% ABV which should be deadly.

Finally I found their last bottle of Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout which clocks in at a wobbly 18% ABV. Most people can't finish the 12 oz. bottle without splitting it as it will wreck the finest of men. I have heard tales of this drink mixed with their 120 Minute IPA called Heaven and Hell which just sounds too awesome to describe.

Lagunitas has another strong one called Brown Shugga...it's something like 9.8%.
Not bad...I liked one, didn't like 3.
I think it's seasonal b/c I haven't seen it in a few months.

120 Minute IPA? I was unaware of this, have had the 60 and 90....also had a chance to try Dogfish's Raison d'etre lately, a really, really interesting beer. Doesn't taste like anything I've ever had before.

In typical Dogfish fashion it's 8%+.

As for tonight, I'm about to embark on a Stout adventure, bought a mix 6-pack of six different types of Stouts to see if I can find a new favorite.

Details to follow.

Beer is wonderful.

The 120 Minute IPA is amazing. You have to find it when they make a new batch. It's been awhile since they've distributed it so it's not something you'll likely find until they put out more. It's what you think it is - 18% ABV and a 12 oz. bottle goes for around 10 bucks. I had my first at a place called Jerry's on Division and it knocked me silly. One bottle will have you spinning. It's to be consumed very slowly in a small glass. Really good with cheese. If it comes back out and  you can't find any, I'd easily ship one to you. It's that good.

So, I don't know if it was a new one or a remnant from last batch, but at Whole Foods this weekend they had one single 12 oz. bottle of 120 Minute IPA available.

For $9.49.

Needless to say, I passed on it. out after enjoying it.

No other acceptable answer.

In your experience, is $9.49 for a single 12 oz bottle a worthwhile investment?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »
Made a quick beer run to Binny's. Father in law is flying in tomorrow so I wanted to have something interesting for us to sit around and drink while I nod, laugh and pretend to understand the version of English he speaks.

Picked up a sixer of Lagunitas' new Hairy Eyeball ale. At 8.8 ABV I'm sure this will kick my ass in. It's an American Strong Ale which essentially just means ales that are over 7%.

Also grabbed a large bottle of Stone's Old Guardian which is a barleywine which my brother (who has actually taken the first part of the exams to become a Cicerone) is quite fond of. I like to call him when I'm walking the aisles to find out what's good. He's a beer savant, no lie. Anyway, this one clocks in at 11.20% ABV which should be deadly.

Finally I found their last bottle of Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout which clocks in at a wobbly 18% ABV. Most people can't finish the 12 oz. bottle without splitting it as it will wreck the finest of men. I have heard tales of this drink mixed with their 120 Minute IPA called Heaven and Hell which just sounds too awesome to describe.

Lagunitas has another strong one called Brown Shugga...it's something like 9.8%.

120 Minute IPA? I was unaware of this, have had the 60 and 90....also had a chance to try Dogfish's Raison d'etre lately, a really, really interesting beer. Doesn't taste like anything I've ever had before.

As for tonight, I'm about to embark on a Stout adventure, bought a mix 6-pack of six different types of Stouts to see if I can find a new favorite.

Details to follow.

Beer is wonderful.

The 120 Minute IPA is amazing. You have to find it when they make a new batch. It's been awhile since they've distributed it so it's not something you'll likely find until they put out more. It's what you think it is - 18% ABV and a 12 oz. bottle goes for around 10 bucks. I had my first at a place called Jerry's on Division and it knocked me silly. One bottle will have you spinning. It's to be consumed very slowly in a small glass. Really good with cheese. If it comes back out and  you can't find any, I'd easily ship one to you. It's that good.

So, I don't know if it was a new one or a remnant from last batch, but at Whole Foods this weekend they had one single 12 oz. bottle of 120 Minute IPA available.

For $9.49.

Pen refuses to pay less than $10 for a bottle of beer.

He's high class.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2010, 03:48:54 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 24, 2010, 03:22:49 PM

Details to follow.

Beer is wonderful.

For $9.49.

For this beer, yes. Like I said I'll send you the damn beer if you're interested but can't part with the 10 dollars.

Go back and buy it, you damn fool.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 24, 2010, 03:48:54 PM

Details to follow.

Beer is wonderful.

For $9.49.

For this beer, yes. Like I said I'll send you the damn beer if you're interested but can't part with the 10 dollars.

Well, I'm a little concerned that it's from the old batch, why would they only have one single bottle of it?
I'magonna wait until they have a few more in, hopefully by them my local beer place will have it and I can get it for $8.99 instead.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2010, 04:18:46 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 24, 2010, 04:05:28 PM

Details to follow.

Beer is wonderful.

For $9.49.

Well, I'm a little concerned that it's from the old batch, why would they only have one single bottle of it?
I'magonna wait until they have a few more in, hopefully by them my local beer place will have it and I can get it for $8.99 instead.

Why would it matter if it's old? People buy these beers and age them for years.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 24, 2010, 04:18:46 PM
Quote from: PenPho on May 24, 2010, 04:05:28 PM

Details to follow.

Beer is wonderful.

For $9.49.

Why would it matter if it's old? People buy these beers and age them for years.

Just because you're right doesn't mean I have to like it.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2010, 04:20:37 PM »
I'm certain this will just make me appear like an unrefined douche, but y'all are damn fools for spending that kinda money on a 12 ounce beer.  

There.  I said it.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2010, 04:21:52 PM »
Quote from: MAD on May 24, 2010, 04:20:37 PM
I'm certain this will just me appear like an unrefined douche, but y'all are damn fools for spending that kinda money on a 12 ounce beer.  There.  I said it.

At 18%, it's more like 5 beers.

But, if you'd rather look at it another way, it's the equivalent of spending like $50 on a bottle of wine, which is certainly not cheap, but not something to get crazy over.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2010, 04:23:37 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 24, 2010, 04:21:52 PM
I'm certain this will just me appear like an unrefined douche, but y'all are damn fools for spending that kinda money on a 12 ounce beer.  There.  I said it.

But, if you'd rather look at it another way, it's the equivalent of spending like $50 on a bottle of wine, which is certainly not cheap, but not something to get crazy over.

At 18%, it's the equivalent of spending around $6 for a bottle of wine, surely?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 24, 2010, 04:23:37 PM

At 18%, it's the equivalent of spending around $6 for a bottle of wine, surely?

Well, I guess...I went with either the equivalent in beers from an ABV standpoint or the equivalent in wine by the # of servings standpoint.
But that was with the assumption that it was a normal beer, which is most certainly is not.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2010, 04:40:28 PM »

That.

5 beers may be an exaggeration, but according to this, I'd still be over the legal limit after nearly two hours with a single 12 oz bottle of this stuff*, let alone the Foster's-sized can Huey says it should come in.

*Fatties' mileage may vary.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2010, 05:10:41 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on May 24, 2010, 04:40:28 PM

That.

5 beers may be an exaggeration, but according to this, I'd still be over the legal limit after nearly two hours with a single 12 oz bottle of this stuff*, let alone the Foster's-sized can Huey says it should come in.

10 bucks for 5 beers seems like a lot to me, too.

But, I am just an unrefined Bolshevik.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 24, 2010, 05:10:41 PM

That.

That's just $2.00 a beer, hoss.  That's happy hour pricing, right there.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 26, 2010, 11:05:42 AM

That.

TDubbs has never paid less than $4.50 for a Miller Light.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2010, 11:21:36 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on May 26, 2010, 11:18:26 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 26, 2010, 11:05:42 AM

That.

TDubbs has never paid less than $4.50 for a Miller Bud Light bottle.