News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 130,251 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2014, 12:40:17 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 13, 2014, 07:57:11 PM
Dong.

FY, All Of You.

Onto the street, even.  Best things about this homer: Kyle Lohse's reaction.  Martin Maldonado's reaction.  Baez's almost Adrian Beltre-like kneel.  Baez knowing it was gone as soon as he touched it.  And finally that it was against the Brewers.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #331 on: August 14, 2014, 02:41:02 AM »
He absolutely fucking destroyed that ball.  I absolutely destroyed my grundies.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #332 on: August 14, 2014, 08:37:45 AM »
I'm not worried about the lack of walks. I don't think they brought him up and said, "Ok, Javy, take some pitches, get yourself on base and let the guys behind you do work." They told him to do exactly what the fuck he's doing, learn to hit Major League pitching. Find out what pitchers are trying to do to him, and figure out how to take that away. They're not batting him second so he can get on base, they're doing it so he can get around 5-6 more plate appearances a week. If this were next year and they were trying to win something, this approach might not be advisable. That's another step in his development. If he takes a walk at this point, it's a wasted trip. SWING THE BAT, JAVY.

I know swinging at pitches a foot and a half outside in the dirt is not going to work. At some point, if it's proven to be the only way to avoid giving up a moon shot to Javy, that might be all he sees until he learns to lay off like Sosa did. It seems they are willing to challenge him now though and he's swinging and missing in the zone plenty. I think he's learning. He's been here a fucking week.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #333 on: August 14, 2014, 08:47:56 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 14, 2014, 02:41:02 AM

I was at the game so get ready for some analysis with BH/Slezak levels of importance:

You're right - he destroyed it. Haven't seen a ball get out onto Waveland that quickly since some Derrek Lee home run in 2009 that I can't remember the date of and now I'm wishing I had Huey's recall ability so I could look up the box score.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #334 on: August 14, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 14, 2014, 08:47:56 AM

I was at the game so get ready for some analysis with BH/Slezak levels of importance:

You're right - he destroyed it. Haven't seen a ball get out onto Waveland that quickly since some Derrek Lee home run in 2009 that I can't remember the date of and now I'm wishing I had Huey's recall ability so I could look up the box score.

I laughed hard.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #335 on: August 14, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 14, 2014, 08:47:56 AM

His uniform also had dirt on it, so the grit factor is in full effect.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #336 on: August 14, 2014, 12:11:58 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 14, 2014, 12:40:17 AM
Dong.

FY, All Of You.

Onto the street, even.  Best things about this homer: Kyle Lohse's reaction.  Martin Maldonado's reaction.  Baez's almost Adrian Beltre-like kneel.  Baez knowing it was gone as soon as he touched it.  And finally that it was against the Brewers.

I love to watch old films of Babe Ruth seemingly flicking the bat at pitches that then went out of the park.  What a difference between that and Baez who seems to put every part of his body into a swing.  This is not a judgment call on "good or bad".  It is just an observation.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #337 on: August 14, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 14, 2014, 12:11:58 PM
Dong.

FY, All Of You.

I love to watch old films of Babe Ruth seemingly flicking the bat at pitches that then went out of the park.  What a difference between that and Baez who seems to put every part of his body into a swing.  This is not a judgment call on "good or bad".  It is just an observation.

I like watching old films of Reggie Jackson seemingly putting every part of his body into his swing. I saw Chris Davis of Baltimore hit one the other night in which he seemed to hardly move anything other than his wrists. I guess I like watching guys with a lot of power swing the bat just like Stew!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #338 on: August 14, 2014, 12:35:31 PM »
Dong.

FY, All Of You.

That's the way it looks on all of Bryant's homers. Every video I've seen looks like he's just throwing his hands out and bam it goes 400 feet the other way. It's amazing.

He will probably be the better player between him and Baez. But Baez has that Showtime thing. Must see at bats. He's Hollywood as hell and I love him. I hope it works out.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #339 on: August 14, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 14, 2014, 12:35:31 PM
Dong.

FY, All Of You.

That's the way it looks on all of Bryant's homers. Every video I've seen looks like he's just throwing his hands out and bam it goes 400 feet the other way. It's amazing.

He will probably be the better player between him and Baez. But Baez has that Showtime thing. Must see at bats. He's Hollywood as hell and I love him. I hope it works out.

I keep harping on it but he really does remind me of Soriano in his prime. There was no doubt the better, more consistent players were Lee and Ramirez, but Sori occasionally hit a ball to the goddamn moon, and sometimes had months where he hit 14 homers to nigh-singlehandedly carry the team to the playoffs, and was just appointment viewing when he was on. It's awesome. I love having someone on the Cubs that I stop what I'm doing to watch. I have missed this so much. I'm glad it's back.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #340 on: August 14, 2014, 12:41:16 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 14, 2014, 12:35:31 PM
Dong.

FY, All Of You.

We had season tickets to the A's games in the heyday of the Bash Brothers, Canseco and McGwire.  The fans were barely into the game until their at bats rolled around.  You could see everyone in the stands come alive.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #341 on: August 14, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 08, 2014, 10:01:45 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on August 08, 2014, 08:51:23 AM
Eh, that second one was a very Coors dong. If he does that at Wrigley with wind blowing in it's probably only going about 370 feet up some Chad's nostril.  

Homers at Coors don't count

Also I really kept expecting someone to throw a FYPex in here because of this article: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/javier-baez-and-the-anomalous-dinger/
The ball screams off of Baez's bat and surprises even the Cubs' own announcers when it flies beyond the fence. What you're thinking, what we're all thinking: okay, big deal, it's Colorado. Even Baez himself has acknowledged that anything hit in the air in Colorado has a chance to go out. But this is why we have the ESPN Home Run Tracker. Baez hit the ball an estimated 105 miles per hour. It had a distance of 405 feet, and it had a standard distance — adjusting for altitude — of 402 feet. It was a legitimate shot that Baez hit

FYPex
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #342 on: August 14, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 14, 2014, 12:47:06 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 08, 2014, 10:01:45 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on August 08, 2014, 08:51:23 AM
Eh, that second one was a very Coors dong. If he does that at Wrigley with wind blowing in it's probably only going about 370 feet up some Chad's nostril.  

Homers at Coors don't count

Also I really kept expecting someone to throw a FYPex in here because of this article: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/javier-baez-and-the-anomalous-dinger/
The ball screams off of Baez's bat and surprises even the Cubs' own announcers when it flies beyond the fence. What you're thinking, what we're all thinking: okay, big deal, it's Colorado. Even Baez himself has acknowledged that anything hit in the air in Colorado has a chance to go out. But this is why we have the ESPN Home Run Tracker. Baez hit the ball an estimated 105 miles per hour. It had a distance of 405 feet, and it had a standard distance — adjusting for altitude — of 402 feet. It was a legitimate shot that Baez hit

FYPex

Why is that an FYPex? I had that ball traveling up some turd's beak in the bleachers, otherwise it just keeps going until it smashes a window on Sheffield.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #343 on: August 18, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
Boom.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #344 on: August 19, 2014, 10:31:28 AM »
Pretty interesting statfhaggery from Fangraphs on how pitchers already have a solid scouting report on Baez and they're not giving him anything to hit.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.