News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 130,154 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2014, 08:54:57 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 14, 2014, 04:38:59 PM
Quote from: Fork on April 14, 2014, 04:06:34 PM
Quote from: Eli on April 14, 2014, 02:30:41 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 14, 2014, 01:13:34 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 14, 2014, 12:37:25 PM
Is anybody else a little worried about his plate approach translating to a negative in the majors and potentially interfering with him reaching his ceiling? Not saying he's going to be a bust, but just think how dominant he could be if he insisted on hitting his pitch and refusing to swing at pitches he can't do anything with. I'm no less turgid, despite this concern.

Look, if we have to start worrying about Javier Baez, I don't want to do any of this anymore.

Yeah. Given how the attempt at making Castro more patient turned out last year (which, tentatively, seems to have been reversed), maybe we should all just see how this one plays out and let Baez be Baez for a while.

I think the Cubs were overthinking a little last year. Some guys (Bryant) will hit and be OPB machines, and other guys (Baez) will just hit and strike out more.

Either way, they're hitting the ever loving fuck out of the ball.

The only thing he's hitting the everloving fuck out of with his exploded ankle is all dem fine corn-fed honeys.

Chicks in Iowa dig a guy who has his own belt.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2014, 02:15:15 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 14, 2014, 04:42:18 PM
Quote from: Fork on April 14, 2014, 04:06:34 PM
Quote from: Eli on April 14, 2014, 02:30:41 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 14, 2014, 01:13:34 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 14, 2014, 12:37:25 PM
Is anybody else a little worried about his plate approach translating to a negative in the majors and potentially interfering with him reaching his ceiling? Not saying he's going to be a bust, but just think how dominant he could be if he insisted on hitting his pitch and refusing to swing at pitches he can't do anything with. I'm no less turgid, despite this concern.

Look, if we have to start worrying about Javier Baez, I don't want to do any of this anymore.

Yeah. Given how the attempt at making Castro more patient turned out last year (which, tentatively, seems to have been reversed), maybe we should all just see how this one plays out and let Baez be Baez for a while.

I think the Cubs were overthinking a little last year. Some guys (Bryant) will hit and be OPB machines, and other guys (Baez) will just hit and strike out more.

Either way, they're hitting the ever loving fuck out of the ball.

DPD.  I'm not saying Baez should be turned into an On Percentage Base machine.  Just saying that maybe, just maybe, he's not going to be a generational talent if he keeps swinging at every pitch, especially sliders in the dirt that not even Vladimir Guerrero would want any part of.  I think he's going to fix that and be at the least a very good player, probably more, but we haven't seen that yet is all.

Fuck sake.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2014, 06:25:53 AM »
Baez will be fine.  As of today's Bryant's maybe jockeyed ahead of him but who gives a shit?  More reason to get me excited.  So now Baez'll sit out for a bit-kid's had a little rough 2 week start, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to slow it down after the hype he mashed through in Mesa. Something something the future's *full* of peaks and valleys.  Like I said--shut up, Archer- Baez will be fine in any event.  Meanwhile, Almora's off to a solid start, and we haven't even heard from future TE Jorge Soler. 

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2014, 08:29:13 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 15, 2014, 06:25:53 AM
Baez will be fine.  As of today's Bryant's maybe jockeyed ahead of him but who gives a shit?  More reason to get me excited.  So now Baez'll sit out for a bit-kid's had a little rough 2 week start, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to slow it down after the hype he mashed through in Mesa. Something something the future's *full* of peaks and valleys.  Like I said--shut up, Archer- Baez will be fine in any event.  Meanwhile, Almora's off to a solid start, and we haven't even heard from future TE Jorge Soler.  

Plus, Baez always seems to take a little bit to adjust to a new level. If he's still scuffling after 200-300 at-bats there, maybe we can start worrying a bit about him chasing breaking balls in the dirt.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 15, 2014, 08:29:13 AM
Baez will be fine.  As of today's Bryant's maybe jockeyed ahead of him but who gives a shit?  More reason to get me excited.  So now Baez'll sit out for a bit-kid's had a little rough 2 week start, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to slow it down after the hype he mashed through in Mesa. Something something the future's *full* of peaks and valleys.  Like I said--shut up, Archer- Baez will be fine in any event.  Meanwhile, Almora's off to a solid start, and we haven't even heard from future TE Jorge Soler.  

Plus, Baez always seems to take a little bit to adjust to a new level. If he's still scuffling after 200-300 at-bats there, maybe we can start worrying a bit about him chasing breaking balls in the dirt.

Plus there are lots of really good power hitters who just strike out a lot. That's OK
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2014, 08:47:29 AM »
Last year in AA he struck out about 25% of the time while racking up an OPS of .983.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of really fucking good.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2014, 09:12:44 AM »
His walk rate has also gone up a bit each year and level:

2011 (Rookie): 0% (18 at-bat sample size, but he didn't walk)
2012 (A): 3.3%
2012 (A+): 5.8%
2013 (A+): 6.2%
2013 (AA): 7.9%

Point is, he's learning. The previously-cited Vlad Guerrero had a career walk rate of 8% and while Baez probably won't be quite that good of a hitter overall, if he's even Vlad-lite from a middle infield spot, we should all be extremely happy.*

* Except for Chuck, who will probably declare that Baez reminds him of early-career Soriano (just "without the stolen bases") and embark on a decade-long hatefest.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2014, 09:27:58 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 15, 2014, 09:12:44 AM

Point is, he's learning. The previously-cited Vlad Guerrero had a career walk rate of 8% and while Baez probably won't be quite that good of a hitter overall, if he's even Vlad-lite from a middle infield spot, we should all be extremely happy.*

* Except for Chuck, who will probably declare that Baez reminds him of early-career Soriano (just "without the stolen bases") and embark on a decade-long hatefest.

Which gives us a decade of FYCs to luxuriate in.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:51 AM »

Exactly. Hell, If Baez ends up as a .270/30/85/.330/.500 hitter at 2nd base or SS are we really going to act like that's a letdown?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2014, 09:44:04 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 15, 2014, 09:32:51 AM

Exactly. Hell, If Baez ends up as a .270/30/85/.330/.500 hitter at 2nd base or SS are we really going to act like that's a letdown?

If he hits 30 dongs and only ends up with 85 RBI, that's no gouda.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
Baez will be fine.  As of today's Bryant's maybe jockeyed ahead of him but who gives a shit?  More reason to get me excited.  So now Baez'll sit out for a bit-kid's had a little rough 2 week start, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to slow it down after the hype he mashed through in Mesa. Something something the future's *full* of peaks and valleys.  Like I said--shut up, Archer- Baez will be fine in any event.  Meanwhile, Almora's off to a solid start, and we haven't even heard from future TE Jorge Soler. 

Jorge Soler plays football?

I don't understand this at all.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2014, 10:23:48 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 15, 2014, 10:10:48 AM

Maybe from this?

QuoteBeyond the draft, the Cubs spent $30 million on powerful Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler, of whom GM Jed Hoyer says, "If he'd grown up in this country, he'd be a defensive end."

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2014, 10:26:32 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 15, 2014, 10:23:48 AM

Maybe from this?

QuoteBeyond the draft, the Cubs spent $30 million on powerful Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler, of whom GM Jed Hoyer says, "If he'd grown up in this country, he'd be a defensive end."

And Defensive Ends pick up the Tight End in the 11-on-11 defensive scheme. Geez, I thought you played football, man.
TIME TO POST!

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »
Quote from: Fork on April 15, 2014, 10:26:32 AM

Maybe from this?

And Defensive Ends pick up the Tight End in the 11-on-11 defensive scheme. Geez, I thought you played football, man.

Not sure if I'd have the DEs pickup the TE in the 11-on-11 d scheme. I'd suspect you'd want an OLB to do that, maybe.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2014, 11:09:02 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 15, 2014, 10:57:12 AM
Quote from: Fork on April 15, 2014, 10:26:32 AM

Maybe from this?

Not sure if I'd have the DEs pickup the TE in the 11-on-11 d scheme. I'd suspect you'd want an OLB to do that, maybe.

DE's pick up the TE (Tackle-Eligible).
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.