News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 130,322 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #570 on: August 25, 2015, 12:32:49 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 25, 2015, 12:26:24 PM
Quote from: Eli on August 25, 2015, 12:20:31 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 25, 2015, 11:21:00 AM
If they wanted to make him the centerpiece of a trade bundle, they could have easily gotten Ross or even Hamels.

How do you know this?

What about Baez' mythical ceiling suggests he could fetch an excellent major leaguer as a centerpiece? He was AWFUL last year and injured at the deadline.

I hope he figures it out because I love his violent power but jesus Fork, that's absurd. If they were enamored with him he'd be here.

Baez talent is such that I think in the right package (and the key word is package, he'd probably have needed to be thrown in with a guy like McKinney and pitchers with an actual future like Underwood or Pierce Johnson) he probably could have gotten them Tyson Ross.

The Phillies by all accounts said no on him as a centerpiece to the Hamels deal.

I don't think Theo and Jed are so enamored of him that they wouldn't have parted with him for the right price, but I also don't buy that they've already washed their hands of him and are just hoping crushing AAA pitching boosts his value enough to move him this winter. Apparently he's playing 3B at Iowa right now to open up the possibility of Bryant moving to RF with Javy at 3B (presumably vs. lefties) at times in September.

Either way, I hope the kid comes up and mashes it and we can have another FYC for years to come.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #571 on: August 25, 2015, 12:34:35 PM »
What about Baez' mythical ceiling suggests he could fetch an excellent major leaguer as a centerpiece?

Probably the 40-homer potential from a middle infielder.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #572 on: August 25, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »
We really have no idea what the team is thinking with Baez, but we shouldn't ignore the significant improvements he's made this year:

At AAA:

2014: .260/.323/.510, 30% K rate
2015: .315/.383/.542, 24.7% K rate

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #573 on: August 25, 2015, 12:43:45 PM »
Quote from: Eli on August 25, 2015, 12:34:35 PM
What about Baez' mythical ceiling suggests he could fetch an excellent major leaguer as a centerpiece?

Probably the 40-homer potential from a middle infielder.

Javy Baez was a consensus top 5 prospect last year. His 90th % projection has been described as "a  unicorn" because 30+ homer middle infielders with his range and upside defensively are practically non existent. If you don't think he could have been moved along with some other pieces for a significant player, I strongly disagree.

Not to beat the dead horse of the Rizzo comparison, but Tony was never higher than the #37 overall prospect, and he had as bad of a first stint as Javy, and he plays a position where it's a hell of a lot easier to find offense. He was able to command Andrew Cashner as return in a trade, when Cashner was a 23 year old with great stuff who had been a top 100 prospect in his own right and went on to become an above average starter when healthy.

Tyson Ross is a better pitcher than Andrew Cashner, but Javy is a more highly thought of prospect than Rizzo ever was, so it's really far from inconceivable that Javy could have brought back something pretty damn good in return if Theo was open to dealing him.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #574 on: August 25, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »
DPD, but here are ten year PECOTA projections for Javy Baez, factoring in what he did last year, his age, his comps, etc.:

PECOTA is usually considered to be a fairly conservative projection system. Obviously there's a good chance he'll never do that, but that's a conservative projection system that has taken into account his awful stint last year and determined that he's still capable of averaging 26 homers a year as a middle infielder. There's no way his trade value is nonexistent.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #575 on: August 25, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 25, 2015, 01:14:08 PM
DPD, but here are ten year PECOTA projections for Javy Baez, factoring in what he did last year, his age, his comps, etc.:

PECOTA is usually considered to be a fairly conservative projection system. Obviously there's a good chance he'll never do that, but that's a conservative projection system that has taken into account his awful stint last year and determined that he's still capable of averaging 26 homers a year as a middle infielder. There's no way his trade value is nonexistent.

I'm even sure what I'm trying to argue but the basic point is he might have some trade value, and I'm sure the Cubs would like to increase it. If he comes good - fantastic. I don't believe, based on what I've heard, that the front office thinks he's going to reach this potential. That could definitely change. I hope it does. I would like a player to be putting up those numbers at second base.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #576 on: August 25, 2015, 01:32:08 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 25, 2015, 01:21:20 PM

I'm even sure what I'm trying to argue but the basic point is he might have some trade value, and I'm sure the Cubs would like to increase it. If he comes good - fantastic. I don't believe, based on what I've heard, that the front office thinks he's going to reach this potential. That could definitely change. I hope it does. I would like a player to be putting up those numbers at second base.

Do you know someone who actually purports to have heard Jepstink's opinion on the matter or is that just your interpretation of everything that's been said about him and how this year has played out for him in general?

Or do you just have a friend sleeping with Sean Gallagher?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #577 on: August 25, 2015, 04:01:16 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 25, 2015, 01:32:08 PM

Do you know someone who actually purports to have heard Jepstink's opinion on the matter or is that just your interpretation of everything that's been said about him and how this year has played out for him in general?

Slaky's been low key running with TDubbs and Jed through the bars and getting all the hot scoops on prospects.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #578 on: August 25, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 25, 2015, 04:01:16 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 25, 2015, 01:32:08 PM

Slaky's been low key running with TDubbs and Jed through the bars and getting all the hot scoops on prospects.

I've been hanging out with Slezak

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #579 on: August 26, 2015, 10:26:45 AM »
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/13512551/after-loss-injury-javier-baez-ready-cubs

This is a very good profile on Baez and the rough life he's had. I had no idea that his father had died when he was a kid. Add in the tragedy of his sister's life and death, and man, I hope this kid makes it.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #580 on: August 26, 2015, 11:29:28 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 26, 2015, 10:26:45 AM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/13512551/after-loss-injury-javier-baez-ready-cubs

This is a very good profile on Baez and the rough life he's had. I had no idea that his father had died when he was a kid. Add in the tragedy of his sister's life and death, and man, I hope this kid makes it.

Excellent article. Would be so great if he could contribute down the stretch. A Rizzo-Baez-Russell-Bryant infield would be just the balls.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #581 on: August 26, 2015, 11:44:13 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 26, 2015, 11:29:28 AM

Excellent article. Would be so great if he could contribute down the stretch. A Rizzo-Baez-Russell-Bryant infield would be just the balls.

My guess is the lineup vs LHP in September will look like this:

Fowler CF
Schwarber LF
Rizzo 1B
Bryant RF
Baez 3B
Castro 2B
Ross C
Pitcher
Russell SS

And then they might sprinkle Javy in vs. right handers from time to time at 3B, SS, and 2B to spell those guys. Bryant especially could use a backup who isn't Jonathan Herrera. I don't think he's had a true day off since he came up. Even when Joe's tried to rest him he usually pinch hits.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #582 on: August 26, 2015, 12:01:02 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 26, 2015, 11:44:13 AM

Fowler CF
Schwarber LF
Rizzo 1B
Bryant RF
Baez 3B
Castro 2B
Ross C
Pitcher
Russell SS

And then they might sprinkle Javy in vs. right handers from time to time at 3B, SS, and 2B to spell those guys. Bryant especially could use a backup who isn't Jonathan Herrera. I don't think he's had a true day off since he came up. Even when Joe's tried to rest him he usually pinch hits.

Does Bryant have the arm for RF?  I'm guessing not really.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #583 on: August 26, 2015, 12:03:52 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 26, 2015, 12:01:02 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 26, 2015, 11:44:13 AM

Fowler CF
Schwarber LF
Rizzo 1B
Bryant RF
Baez 3B
Castro 2B
Ross C
Pitcher
Russell SS

Does Bryant have the arm for RF?  I'm guessing not really.

Does Chris Coghlan? Jorge's dead, we have to make do with what we've got.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #584 on: August 26, 2015, 12:45:03 PM »

Really great article. I read it in my wife's clearly very dusty car while she ran into the store.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck