News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 129,931 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #885 on: October 12, 2016, 03:31:37 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 12, 2016, 03:17:12 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 12, 2016, 03:16:09 PM
Is it sacrilege yet to say he might be better than Ryno?

Might be?  No.

Is?  Definitely.

I was gonna laugh and say "goddammit, Fork" but actually Javy's been about as good through age 23, if not better, than Ryno was. So if 2017 is gonna be Javy's 1984, I'll take it.

I do think he is the most talented Cubs player I've ever seen. Whether he ever lives up to that potential offensively is another question.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #886 on: October 12, 2016, 03:39:22 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 12, 2016, 03:31:37 PM

Might be?  No.

Is?  Definitely.

I was gonna laugh and say "goddammit, Fork" but actually Javy's been about as good through age 23, if not better, than Ryno was. So if 2017 is gonna be Javy's 1984, I'll take it.

I do think he is the most talented Cubs player I've ever seen. Whether he ever lives up to that potential offensively is another question.

Ryno at 23 was rather pedestrian. 

It's when he turned 24 that his career took off.

Seems a little soon for the comparison but Baez definitely appears to be in Sandberg's class defensively.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #887 on: October 12, 2016, 04:35:37 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 12, 2016, 03:39:22 PM

Might be?  No.

Is?  Definitely.

Seems a little soon for the comparison but Baez definitely appears to be in Sandberg's class defensively.

And the thing that made Sandberg special was, in no small part, consistency and longevity. If Baez could be this good for 10+ solid years... it's hard for me to even imagine what that would be like.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #888 on: October 12, 2016, 04:42:43 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 12, 2016, 04:35:37 PM

Might be?  No.

Is?  Definitely.

And the thing that made Sandberg special was, in no small part, consistency and longevity. If Baez could be this good for 10+ solid years... it's hard for me to even imagine what that would be like.

I would say that what made Sandberg special was his uncanny ability to almost always be in position, squared up and not diving like spazz, to make the play.  It's part of the reason he's one of only 2 second baseman in history to collect 6 seasons with at least 500 assists.  He just seemed to correctly anticipate where the ball was going to be.  I'm not sure this sort of thing can be taught, as it seems somewhat instinctive or preternatural--but the good news is Baez also seems to have this talent.  Combined with Baez' quickness of hands--something that does not spring to mind when I think of Sandberg-- I feel he could surpass Ryno, and that'd be amazing.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #889 on: October 12, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 12, 2016, 04:42:43 PM

Might be?  No.

Is?  Definitely.

I would say that what made Sandberg special was his uncanny ability to almost always be in position, squared up and not diving like spazz, to make the play.  It's part of the reason he's one of only 2 second baseman in history to collect 6 seasons with at least 500 assists.  He just seemed to correctly anticipate where the ball was going to be.  I'm not sure this sort of thing can be taught, as it seems somewhat instinctive or preternatural--but the good news is Baez also seems to have this talent.  Combined with Baez' quickness of hands--something that does not spring to mind when I think of Sandberg-- I feel he could surpass Ryno, and that'd be amazing.

Baez doesn't have Ryno's positioning, but goddamn he covers a lot of ground.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #890 on: October 13, 2016, 08:40:48 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 12, 2016, 04:44:41 PM

Might be?  No.

Is?  Definitely.

I kind of find it strange to attribute positioning to some skill a player would have.  Now, granted, The Cubs have shifted (in an extreme way) less often than others but defensive positioning as a whole seems to have taken a whole new life over the past 5 years, much less over the past 30, because the coaches simply have more data to use than ever.

Sandberg was a great defensive player but how would he compare to others in today's game?  Do shifts (or, more to the point, better positioning management due to an abundance and use of data) make it easier for good defensive players to be great?  Would Sandberg be even better today?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #891 on: October 13, 2016, 08:47:30 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 13, 2016, 08:40:48 AM

Might be?  No.

Is?  Definitely.

I kind of find it strange to attribute positioning to some skill a player would have.  Now, granted, The Cubs have shifted (in an extreme way) less often than others but defensive positioning as a whole seems to have taken a whole new life over the past 5 years, much less over the past 30, because the coaches simply have more data to use than ever.

Sandberg was a great defensive player but how would he compare to others in today's game?  Do shifts (or, more to the point, better positioning management due to an abundance and use of data) make it easier for good defensive players to be great?  Would Sandberg be even better today?

Or was Ryno just good at self-scouting the opposition and getting into position and in a world where everyone now does that would he look less impressive?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #892 on: October 13, 2016, 11:45:48 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 13, 2016, 08:47:30 AM

Might be?  No.

Is?  Definitely.

Or was Ryno just good at self-scouting the opposition and getting into position and in a world where everyone now does that would he look less impressive?

On the other hand, do the Cubs shift less due to the athleticism of their infielders?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #893 on: October 13, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 13, 2016, 11:45:48 AM

Might be?  No.

Is?  Definitely.

I kind of find it strange to attribute positioning to some skill a player would have.  Now, granted, The Cubs have shifted (in an extreme way) less often than others but defensive positioning as a whole seems to have taken a whole new life over the past 5 years, much less over the past 30, because the coaches simply have more data to use than ever.

Sandberg was a great defensive player but how would he compare to others in today's game?  Do shifts (or, more to the point, better positioning management due to an abundance and use of data) make it easier for good defensive players to be great?  Would Sandberg be even better today?

On the other hand, do the Cubs shift less due to the athleticism of their infielders?

Sahadev has talked about this and how the whole "the Cubs actually don't shift that much" is kind of inaccurate. Their positioning is just more subtle than most, but they do alter their positioning on almost every play. A lot of teams tend to overshift, when really moving a second baseman a few feet either way will often do the job. Given their historically great job at suppressing BABIP this year and the fact that they may be the best defense in MLB history I think they're probably just ahead of the curve on this stuff.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #894 on: October 13, 2016, 12:21:29 PM »

I think the bigger question is which Hispanic player Cindy would have preferred.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #895 on: October 13, 2016, 02:20:38 PM »
I think Javy has become my favourite player.
M'lady.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #896 on: October 13, 2016, 06:09:09 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 13, 2016, 02:20:38 PM
I think Javy has become my favourite player.

You and millions of others.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #897 on: October 13, 2016, 06:39:17 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on October 13, 2016, 12:21:29 PM

I think the bigger question is which Hispanic player Cindy would have preferred.

Intrepid Reader:  Cindy Sandberg

You mean I have to choose?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #898 on: October 16, 2016, 09:23:52 AM »
You know that game was nuts because no one even remembered to post about Javy STEALING HOME

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #899 on: October 16, 2016, 11:11:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 16, 2016, 09:23:52 AM
You know that game was nuts because no one even remembered to post about Javy STEALING HOME

We were too busy goofing on your Twitter feed.
TIME TO POST!