News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MIKE OLT!  ( 19,936 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MIKE OLT!
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2014, 05:33:59 PM »
Quote from: Tony on May 01, 2014, 04:29:27 PM
Jesse Rogers recently tweeted that Olt is going to pitcher's counts a lot... near the top of the league in getting behind. Can any of the stat nerds explain why? Does that mean he's being too patient in this new OBP obsessed game?

He does seem to take the first pitch a lot, and the first pitch almost always seems to be a strike.

He needs to start making more contact this homestand.  I've been pulling for him more than anyone, but I might be out of optimism if he doesn't seize this opportunity soon.  If he could bat 5th and force pitchers to throw to Castro and Rizzo (or make 'em pay if they don't), that would make me feel better about the pending future, but right now he's digging his own grave.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2014, 05:40:03 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 01, 2014, 05:28:55 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 01, 2014, 04:31:32 PM
Jesse Rogers recently tweeted that Olt is going to pitcher's counts a lot... near the top of the league in getting behind. Can any of the stat nerds explain why? Does that mean he's being too patient in this new OBP obsessed game?

It means he's blind and can't tell the difference between strikes and balls. 

Strange that he'd pick on Olt. Among guys who've seen at least 100 pitches total this year, Lake actually has seen the highest percentage of pitches (65.7%) with the pitcher ahead across the MLB.

Schierholtz 56.4%
Castillo 54.8%
Olt 50.5%
League average 48.2%
Rizzo 42.8%
Kalish 38.2%
Bonifacio 56.7%
Castro 35.7% (5th lowest in MLB)

Here's the tweet in question:

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/461694298510360577

QuoteYou want numbers. Here's a reason Olt is struggling. Gone to a pitchers count (0-1,0-2,1-2,2-2) in 56% of PA.League avg is 45%.He's near top

Not as much about singling him out as looking for a stat to help explain his already poor numbers.

My question would be how much noise we should expect in this stat. How repeatable a skill is staying ahead of a pitcher?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2014, 06:03:09 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 01, 2014, 05:40:03 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on May 01, 2014, 05:28:55 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 01, 2014, 04:31:32 PM

It means he's blind and can't tell the difference between strikes and balls. 

Strange that he'd pick on Olt. Among guys who've seen at least 100 pitches total this year, Lake actually has seen the highest percentage of pitches (65.7%) with the pitcher ahead across the MLB.

Schierholtz 56.4%
Castillo 54.8%
Olt 50.5%
League average 48.2%
Rizzo 42.8%
Kalish 38.2%
Bonifacio 56.7%
Castro 35.7% (5th lowest in MLB)

Here's the tweet in question:

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/461694298510360577

QuoteYou want numbers. Here's a reason Olt is struggling. Gone to a pitchers count (0-1,0-2,1-2,2-2) in 56% of PA.League avg is 45%.He's near top

Not as much about singling him out as looking for a stat to help explain his already poor numbers.

My question would be how much noise we should expect in this stat. How repeatable a skill is staying ahead of a pitcher?

I don't know how repeatable it is. He's definitely struggled when behind. He's got a wOBA of about .073 when behind (lg avg is .222) with a BABIP of .167 (lg avg is .297).

Probably part bad luck, part noise, part approach.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2014, 06:31:55 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 01, 2014, 06:03:09 PM
Probably part bad luck, part noise, part approach.

Probably.

Though knowing the relative contributions of each could go some way towards telling us how worrying this should be going forward.

I mean, like with a batter with a low BABIP, if it's something that should be expected to regress to the mean some, that could actually be good-ish news, right?

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2014, 09:09:15 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 01, 2014, 05:33:59 PM

He does seem to take the first pitch a lot, and the first pitch almost always seems to be a strike.

He needs to start making more contact this homestand.  I've been pulling for him more than anyone, but I might be out of optimism if he doesn't seize this opportunity soon.  If he could bat 5th and force pitchers to throw to Castro and Rizzo (or make 'em pay if they don't), that would make me feel better about the pending future, but right now he's digging his own grave.

It's fewer than 100 ABs in a season that is going nowhere. They should give him lots of rope. You don't want to totally destroy his confidence if he continues to fail, but they're better off giving him enough chances to find out if he can be useful going forward.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2014, 07:57:47 AM »
Jesse Rogers is a fucking idiot.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on May 01, 2014, 09:09:15 PM

It's fewer than 100 ABs in a season that is going nowhere. They should give him lots of rope. You don't want to totally destroy his confidence if he continues to fail, but they're better off giving him enough chances to find out if he can be useful going forward.

THI
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on May 01, 2014, 09:09:15 PM

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2014, 10:37:19 PM »
MIKE OLT! MIKE OLT! MIKE OLT! MIKE OLT!
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on May 08, 2014, 10:37:19 PM
MIKE OLT! MIKE OLT! MIKE OLT! MIKE OLT!

SO MUCH MY COLT.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2014, 06:04:14 AM »
I'm going to view his at-bat prior to the grand slam as his nadir, and hope to never see those depths again.  The schlub filling in for Chris Sale was on the ropes, and any pitch near the strike zone was getting rocked that inning.  Olt came up with the bases juiced and was ahead 2-0 before popping out.  Christ, even Junior Lake drew a bases loaded walk after that.

But then he came up the next time...

MY COLT! MY COLT! MY COLT!
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2014, 08:19:47 AM »
Just gonna come in here and MY COLT!
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2014, 11:13:10 AM »
OLTIMATE WARRIOR

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 09, 2014, 06:04:14 AM
I'm going to view his at-bat prior to the grand slam as his nadir, and hope to never see those depths again.  The schlub filling in for Chris Sale was on the ropes, and any pitch near the strike zone was getting rocked that inning.  Olt came up with the bases juiced and was ahead 2-0 before popping out.  Christ, even Junior Lake drew a bases loaded walk after that.

A dude behind me last night dubbed him "Babe Olt", saying he saw him call his shot during that AB.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 09, 2014, 11:28:39 AM
Quote from: PANK! on May 09, 2014, 06:04:14 AM

A dude behind me last night dubbed him "Babe Olt", saying he saw him call his shot during that AB.

The weird part this anecdote is that you weren't even at the game.