News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2014 Chicago Cubs: Let's Go 2015 Cubs!  ( 30,452 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs: Let's Go 2015 Cubs!
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2014, 10:17:50 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 04, 2014, 10:12:48 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2014, 10:11:15 AM
Quote from: R-V on August 04, 2014, 10:07:34 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 04, 2014, 09:59:21 AM
Quote from: R-V on August 04, 2014, 09:49:33 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2014, 09:44:19 AM
Quote from: Slaky on August 04, 2014, 09:38:18 AM
Starting to get the feeling this is the last Cubs season for a while where the win/loss at the end of each game means almost nothing. Yes, I realize losing is important for draft pick purposes and I'm sure they'll end up near the top of the draft again. Seems unavoidable. Not something I have to worry about as a fan.

If Soler and Baez are permanent fixtures next season and at least one top of the line starting pitcher comes in via FA, you can't tell me that even with people all saying "next year they'll be better but in 2016 they're going to be really good" are going to be able to help themselves. I think with those additions and the looming spectre of Kris Bryant's arrival fans are going to ready to go from day one. If the Cubs get off to a bad start people will be climbing over themselves to scream Fire Renteria because let's face it - Renteria managing games that matter is a terrifying proposition based on what we've seen.

So let's enjoy this stress free remainder of the season because I'm fairly certain this is it.

Welcome back, painful baseball.

Oh no doubt. And I don't think Bryant waits that long. I doubt they'll worry about Super 2 so I think he just needs to wait till May at the latest to get the extra year. So if you've got Baez, Soler, Bryant, and Mendy with Russell definitely lurking for a midseason callup, and some extra help in the rotation, you'd definitely think that team can win 78-85 games potentially, and with the Selig Card that'll be enough to keep them close enough to contending that we'll all be suckered in.

Would this be the right place for me to make my wild assed prediction that Baez, Bryant and Soler all get called up Sept. 1st? And that Theo lets it be known that they don't give a shit about Super 2 or arbitration status for those guys because they've got a ton of payroll flexibility and they're going to start using it? And that they intend for all 3 of them to be on the big league team to start next season?

Even if that wouldn't be the optimal decision in terms of asset management I think it would send a nice message to potential FAs (hi Jon Lester!) that they're done fucking around.

If they didn't give a shit about Super 2 or arbitration, wouldn't they have already called up Baez instead of Valaika?

I think you could easily argue that Baez has needed a good amount of time in Iowa to continue working on his BB and K rates - which he's done. And that Soler just needed to get his legs back in an environment where he didn't have chubby smelly bearded weirdos hounding him after every game.

As for Bryant, I think most would agree he's ready and has been for some time, but without going too over the top with clubhouse chemistry bullplop, I do think there would be value in bringing multiple guys up at the same time so that one of them isn't the sole focus of thinkpieces by above referenced chubby smelly bearded weirdos. Maybe they were just waiting for the other two to be ready so they could all come up together.

Yeah, as torrid of a pace as he's been on for the last few months I'd say there's still nothing wrong with letting Baez get as many at bats in AAA as he can. You can call him up Sept. 1st and still know he had an entire season of at-bats at just about every level in the minors. No one could argue they rushed his development.

I just think people need to understand that Bryant and Baez are going to strike out. It's just in their make up.

Soler...now that's the dude.

I expect them both to K about the same, but Bryant seems like he's more likely to hit for average and he walks twice as often to this point, so he shouldn't go through long stretches of pain like Baez may. I've said it over and over but I could really see Baez being the Soriano type where you pay for a week of awful, awful, with a month were he can carry an entire offense. If you're anyone but a wrong-headed, obstinate motherfucker you'll enjoy the overall result, because it's going to be fun as hell.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2014, 10:18:16 AM »
Starting to get the feeling this is the last Cubs season for a while where the win/loss at the end of each game means almost nothing. Yes, I realize losing is important for draft pick purposes and I'm sure they'll end up near the top of the draft again. Seems unavoidable. Not something I have to worry about as a fan.

If Soler and Baez are permanent fixtures next season and at least one top of the line starting pitcher comes in via FA, you can't tell me that even with people all saying "next year they'll be better but in 2016 they're going to be really good" are going to be able to help themselves. I think with those additions and the looming spectre of Kris Bryant's arrival fans are going to ready to go from day one. If the Cubs get off to a bad start people will be climbing over themselves to scream Fire Renteria because let's face it - Renteria managing games that matter is a terrifying proposition based on what we've seen.

So let's enjoy this stress free remainder of the season because I'm fairly certain this is it.

Oh no doubt. And I don't think Bryant waits that long. I doubt they'll worry about Super 2 so I think he just needs to wait till May at the latest to get the extra year. So if you've got Baez, Soler, Bryant, and Mendy with Russell definitely lurking for a midseason callup, and some extra help in the rotation, you'd definitely think that team can win 78-85 games potentially, and with the Selig Card that'll be enough to keep them close enough to contending that we'll all be suckered in.

Would this be the right place for me to make my wild assed prediction that Baez, Bryant and Soler all get called up Sept. 1st? And that Theo lets it be known that they don't give a shit about Super 2 or arbitration status for those guys because they've got a ton of payroll flexibility and they're going to start using it? And that they intend for all 3 of them to be on the big league team to start next season?

Even if that wouldn't be the optimal decision in terms of asset management I think it would send a nice message to potential FAs (hi Jon Lester!) that they're done fucking around.

If they didn't give a shit about Super 2 or arbitration, wouldn't they have already called up Baez instead of Valaika?

I think you could easily argue that Baez has needed a good amount of time in Iowa to continue working on his BB and K rates - which he's done. And that Soler just needed to get his legs back in an environment where he didn't have chubby smelly bearded weirdos hounding him after every game.

As for Bryant, I think most would agree he's ready and has been for some time, but without going too over the top with clubhouse chemistry bullplop, I do think there would be value in bringing multiple guys up at the same time so that one of them isn't the sole focus of thinkpieces by above referenced chubby smelly bearded weirdos. Maybe they were just waiting for the other two to be ready so they could all come up together.

Yeah, as torrid of a pace as he's been on for the last few months I'd say there's still nothing wrong with letting Baez get as many at bats in AAA as he can. You can call him up Sept. 1st and still know he had an entire season of at-bats at just about every level in the minors. No one could argue they rushed his development.

I just think people need to understand that Bryant and Baez are going to strike out. It's just in their make up.

From what I saw Friday, Baez is behind Bryant who is a tad behind Soler in approach development. Soler had a great high-pitch AB that night that, I think, ended in a K. But he fought off a lot of breaking balls and took a questionable pitch for the final strike in the AB, just didn't get the call.

Bryant's defense was apparent at 3B. I'm no scout, but he made a few range-y plays and showed an accurate throwing arm. Soler's arm is strong in RF.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »

Well, it sure would be weird to actually watch the Cubs this year...
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »

No way Bryant comes up before next April 21ish. No chance given his agent. Theo's locking in year 7.  Soler is here the day after Iowa finishes its season.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 04, 2014, 10:19:56 AM

No way Bryant comes up before next April 21ish. No chance given his agent. Theo's locking in year 7.  Soler is here the day after Iowa finishes its season.

Chuck knows Scott Boras guys, stop suggesting Bryant might get called up earlier because the Cubs have money.
They don't, they are a small market team now. And there is zero chance any of these guys resign, so the Kubbeez need to hold on to them as long as they can.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »
Quote from: BH on August 04, 2014, 10:24:49 AM

Chuck knows Scott Boras guys, stop suggesting Bryant might get called up earlier because the Cubs have money.
They don't, they are a small market team now. And there is zero chance any of these guys resign, so the Kubbeez need to hold on to them as long as they can.

The money isn't the issue. It's the risk Boras will get the guy to leave. Risk after Year 6 or risk after Year 7. That's it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 04, 2014, 10:26:30 AM
Quote from: BH on August 04, 2014, 10:24:49 AM

The money isn't the issue. It's the risk Boras will get the guy to leave. Risk after Year 6 or risk after Year 7. That's it.

....wait then how is this not about money because wouldn't he stay if they offered him the most money regardless? Isn't that how the free agency thing works? This seems like a money thing.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »
Great news guys - Bryant will definitely be called up Sept. 1 now that Chuck has predicted he won't.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2014, 10:31:32 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 04, 2014, 10:30:25 AM
Great news guys - Bryant will definitely be called up Sept. 1 now that Chuck has predicted he won't.

The only other guarantee is that when he signs an extension at some point, Chuck will hate the contract.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2014, 10:33:30 AM »

THI

I think there's a good chance Bryant and Soler both excel, but by all accounts Soler's already got an mlb-caliber approach to hitting.  Throw in his cannon for an arm in RF (don't know about his footwork, range, instincts, ability to read the ball off the bat etc. but I'll settle for average) and I'm more excited about him than Bryant.  I mean, if I had to choose and all.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »
I'm going to pour us all a tall, cold glass of settle the fuck down juice by posting the slash lines for this year's epic minor league stud, Gregory Polanco of Pissburgh.

210 PA: .222/.322/.355

That's not alarming because he's shown plenty of speed and power while getting completely owned by LHP.

My point is that while Polanco is probably a big league superstar in the making, the Pirates were crucified for leaving him on the farm while they struggled out of the gate amidst high expectations to compete this year. And even though he absolutely obliterated AAA pitching (.347/.405/.540) and had every Pirate fan with an internet connection going apeshit for two months, he has not represented the savior they thought he'd be in YEAR ONE. So next year, when all our young heroes are at the big league level, and some of them mash and some of them don't, the mouthbreathers will bleat as loud as they ever did. And the Cubs record may not look much better than it did when they sold off everybody the last two years.

So let's see next year for what it actually is: the last year of pretend baseball before the actual thing happens inside Ernest's rectum.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 04, 2014, 10:39:56 AM
I'm going to pour us all a tall, cold glass of settle the fuck down juice by posting the slash lines for this year's epic minor league stud, Gregory Polanco of Pissburgh.

That's not alarming because he's shown plenty of speed and power while getting completely owned by LHP.

My point is that while Polanco is probably a big league superstar in the making, the Pirates were crucified for leaving him on the farm while they struggled out of the gate amidst high expectations to compete this year. And even though he absolutely obliterated AAA pitching (.347/.405/.540) and had every Pirate fan with an internet connection going apeshit for two months, he has not represented the savior they thought he'd be in YEAR ONE. So next year, when all our young heroes are at the big league level, and some of them mash and some of them don't, the mouthbreathers will bleat as loud as they ever did. And the Cubs record may not look much better than it did when they sold off everybody the last two years.

So let's see next year for what it actually is: the last year of pretend baseball before the actual thing happens inside Ernest's rectum.

(||)
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2014, 10:45:09 AM »

Yeah but Puig and Abreu and Cespedes all kicked ass as rookies and they share Cuban lineage with Soler so he's clearly going to kick ass. Bryant is kinda like Evan Longoria in that they play 3B and I want them to be alike and Longoria went to the World Series as a rookie.

So shut up.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: August 04, 2014, 10:51:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2014, 10:45:09 AM

Yeah but Puig and Abreu and Cespedes all kicked ass as rookies and they share Cuban lineage with Soler so he's clearly going to kick ass. Bryant is kinda like Evan Longoria in that they play 3B and I want them to be alike and Longoria went to the World Series as a rookie.

So shut up.

Joyful positive is great. My cup runneth over. But Slaky just announced the imminent return of "Painful Baseball" and I think that's the perfect description of what 2015 is going to be. If you thought the haters were out for Theo thus far, wait until they're seven games under .500 on June 1 next year. Oh. My. Gord.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: August 04, 2014, 10:53:15 AM »

The Super 2 is not the issue, Dude.

If they did really, really care about Super 2 arbitration more than anything, these guys wouldn't be arriving until mid-summer next year, which I feel everyone here agrees is unlikely. And, whether they're called up now or they're held back until May or so 2015, either way they'll be expected to hit arbitration after 2017.

If Super 2 is off the table, the only contract/money concern is total years of team control (including arbitration years).

Chuck believes that matters for Bryant (because Boras), so that's why he's suggesting we won't get Chicago Bryant boners until May or thereabouts, as that will give the Cubs team control through the end of 2021, with arbitration after 2017, rather than 2020 (and still arbitration after 2017) if he came up now.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.