News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 138,907 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #1155 on: November 03, 2016, 04:43:03 PM »
A minor quibble, but I thought KB deserved the World Series MVP.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1156 on: November 03, 2016, 06:25:58 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on November 03, 2016, 04:43:03 PM

Agreed on both counts (it's a minor quibble and he did deserve MVP in my eyes.) 

Him scoring from first yesterday was a thing of absolute beauty. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1157 on: November 03, 2016, 06:35:03 PM »

Gotta leave something for him to shoot for next year.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1158 on: November 03, 2016, 06:57:07 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 03, 2016, 06:25:58 PM

In an heroic accord, we all agree on all counts.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1159 on: November 04, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »

Yes it was.

He is just so good at most everything. I knew we were getting a stud with an advanced hitting approach, but I didn't think we'd be getting such a good baseball IQ with him. He's a great all around baseball player.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1160 on: November 04, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 04, 2016, 09:25:00 AM

Yes it was.

He is just so good at most everything. I knew we were getting a stud with an advanced hitting approach, but I didn't think we'd be getting such a good baseball IQ with him. He's a great all around baseball player.

Bryant is the only player I've ever seen who had more hype than God on his first day as a major league player and yet was actually underrated. I was looking forward to Troy Glaus, Pen be damned. If he'd just been the .250/.350/.500, 40 dinger guy who played bad defense and didn't do much of anything else I'd have still been through the goddamn roof over how awesome he was. Instead he's actually an above average defender at three different positions who is maybe the smartest damn baserunner I've ever seen, runs like a fucking gazelle, is so Nice And Photogenic And Aww Shucks Perfect that I'd want him dead if he wasn't a Cub, and he also just decided this year that strikeouts were dumb and lame and he wasn't going to do that anymore and now he's a guy that might tack a .300 average onto all of the above. If I didn't have a wife and kid I'd say he's the best thing that has ever happened to me. It's still closer than it should be.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1161 on: November 04, 2016, 09:35:31 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 04, 2016, 09:29:59 AM

Yes it was.

Bryant is the only player I've ever seen who had more hype than God on his first day as a major league player and yet was actually underrated. I was looking forward to Troy Glaus, Pen be damned. If he'd just been the .250/.350/.500, 40 dinger guy who played bad defense and didn't do much of anything else I'd have still been through the goddamn roof over how awesome he was. Instead he's actually an above average defender at three different positions who is maybe the smartest damn baserunner I've ever seen, runs like a fucking gazelle, is so Nice And Photogenic And Aww Shucks Perfect that I'd want him dead if he wasn't a Cub, and he also just decided this year that strikeouts were dumb and lame and he wasn't going to do that anymore and now he's a guy that might tack a .300 average onto all of the above. If I didn't have a wife and kid I'd say he's the best thing that has ever happened to me. It's still closer than it should be.

He's probably now the best player in the NL?  Depending on how you view Harper...

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1162 on: November 04, 2016, 09:44:05 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 04, 2016, 09:35:31 AM
Quote from: SKO on November 04, 2016, 09:29:59 AM

Yes it was.

He's probably now the best player in the NL?  Depending on how you view Harper...

Yeah I think he is. For one I think Bryant's versatility provides more value than a corner OF in general anyway, but also the 9.5 fWAR by Harper is looking not necessarily like a fluke but as his absolute peak. 4/5 Harper years have been 4.6 fWAR or below. I think it's fair to say he hasn't proven yet that he's a consistently elite player, and it's hard to argue just two seasons in that Bryant isn't.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1163 on: November 17, 2016, 05:52:02 PM »
Fun fact: Troy Glaus finished 30th in MVP voting in 2006. The only time he ever even registered on the list.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1164 on: November 17, 2016, 06:20:12 PM »
Thanks again Houston for taking Appel.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1165 on: November 17, 2016, 09:56:58 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 17, 2016, 05:52:02 PM
Fun fact: Troy Glaus finished 30th in MVP voting in 2006. The only time he ever even registered on the list.

As an aside, it's weird that he didn't get any votes at all in 2000. I guess his punter teammate got all the glory.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1166 on: November 18, 2016, 07:46:17 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 17, 2016, 09:56:58 PM

As an aside, it's weird that he didn't get any votes at all in 2000. I guess his punter teammate got all the glory.

Man Erstad and Glaus combined for 16.1 bWAR and 16.9 fWAR that year and the Angels barely won 82 games. They have a talent for wasting historically good seasons, apparently.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1167 on: November 18, 2016, 09:40:27 AM »
Quote from: WTB...A RING FFS!! on November 17, 2016, 06:20:12 PM

I've seen a lot of people calling Mark Appel the Sam Bowie to Bryant's Jordan, which seems unfair to Sam Bowie. That dude actually had a long if unspectacular NBA career. Mark Appel may never throw a major league pitch.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1168 on: November 18, 2016, 03:58:40 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 18, 2016, 09:40:27 AM
Quote from: WTB...A RING FFS!! on November 17, 2016, 06:20:12 PM

I've seen a lot of people calling Mark Appel the Sam Bowie to Bryant's Jordan, which seems unfair to Sam Bowie. That dude actually had a long if unspectacular NBA career. Mark Appel may never throw a major league pitch.

Nobody of importance was drafted after Brien Taylor (who obviously never made it to the MLB). Butt Matt Anderson sort of fits the bill since J.D. Drew went second that year followed by the first coming (||) of Kris Bryant.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1169 on: November 18, 2016, 04:05:32 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 17, 2016, 09:56:58 PM

As an aside to your aside, this PUNTER reference made me nostalgic for Fire Joe Morgan.