News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 138,971 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #510 on: April 14, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »
Does anyone really think that Ephoyer gives two shits about what some shitty sportswriter writes about the reasons for the Bryant thing?  I fully expect him to be up on Friday for good because it may be what's best for The Cubs (both in terms of sending him down for the extra year of control and for bringing him up as soon as possible because he's good at baseball and can help this team ASAP).  If he's not up on Friday, it will only be because Hoystein doesn't think he's ready to contribute to the major league club yet.  I really think it's that simple and Gordo and his ilk can go get bent.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #511 on: April 14, 2015, 11:19:59 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 14, 2015, 11:14:22 AM
If he's not up on Friday, it will only be because Hoystein doesn't think he's ready to contribute to the major league club yet.

If they think that, it's only because of defense. And if that's the case, he should probably stay down there for another year or two.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #512 on: April 14, 2015, 11:21:26 AM »
Does anyone really think that Ephoyer gives two shits about what some shitty sportswriter writes about the reasons for the Bryant thing?  I fully expect him to be up on Friday for good because it may be what's best for The Cubs (both in terms of sending him down for the extra year of control and for bringing him up as soon as possible because he's good at baseball and can help this team ASAP).  If he's not up on Friday, it will only be because Hoystein doesn't think he's ready to contribute to the major league club yet.  I really think it's that simple and Gordo and his ilk can go get bent.

I don't think they break him in at home.  They didn't do that with Baez or Soler. Road opens.  Less media, no raving fans.  Still betting the 20th or 24th.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #513 on: April 14, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »

Well there is such a thing as a good faith clause in the CBA as far as the demotion to Iowa goes, so in much the same way you'll never get Theo or Jed to say out loud "we're not keeping him down for service time reasons" they probably won't call him up the exact day he's eligible. While a grievance case is unlikely to be filed and even less likely to be successful, it wouldn't help the Cubs case to say "it wasn't about service time" and then call him on the 13th league day.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #514 on: April 14, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 14, 2015, 11:21:26 AM

I don't think they break him in at home.  They didn't do that with Baez or Soler. Road opens.  Less media, no raving fans.  Still betting the 20th or 24th.

24th is my bet. 

But will be happy to be wrong if it's sooner.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #515 on: April 14, 2015, 11:29:59 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 14, 2015, 11:24:24 AM

24th is my bet. 

But will be happy to be wrong if it's sooner.

Mine, too. Just means I'm going to the last game ever at Wrigley Field in which the Cubs won't have Kris Bryant on their roster.  Will get to see him for the first time on the 29th.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #516 on: April 14, 2015, 11:32:07 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 14, 2015, 11:29:59 AM
I'm going to the last game ever at Wrigley Field in which the Cubs won't have Kris Bryant on their roster.

I know we all have high expectations for Bryant, but immortality seems unreasonable.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #517 on: April 14, 2015, 11:32:47 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 14, 2015, 11:32:07 AM
I'm going to the last game ever at Wrigley Field in which the Cubs won't have Kris Bryant on their roster.

I know we all have high expectations for Bryant, but immortality seems unreasonable.

I think Chuck may be putting a 20 year life expectancy on Wrigley.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #518 on: April 14, 2015, 11:49:34 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 14, 2015, 11:32:07 AM

*Adds Chuck to his Deadpool 2016 list*

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #519 on: April 14, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »

I don't get this.  Is Bryant getting little media attention now?  March was Kris Bryant month on MLB Network.  I think this whole "debut him on the road only" thing is weird.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #520 on: April 14, 2015, 12:13:29 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 14, 2015, 12:04:18 PM

I don't get this.  Is Bryant getting little media attention now?  March was Kris Bryant month on MLB Network.  I think this whole "debut him on the road only" thing is weird.

I was at Baez's debut last year. It was nuts. People were there very early (and not just for the bobble head giveaway) to watch him take BP. When he had his first AB, there was a huge cheer, some standing. Everything was magnified.

Now, make that during the young man's first MLB game? Add in a throng of pre-game media the bulk of which covers the home team. It's a lot for a person.  That's why Theo breaks them in on the road.  By the time the adulation rains down on they, they've had 3+ games under their belt.

Makes sense to me.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #521 on: April 14, 2015, 12:22:55 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 14, 2015, 12:13:29 PM

I was at Baez's debut last year. It was nuts. People were there very early (and not just for the bobble head giveaway) to watch him take BP. When he had his first AB, there was a huge cheer, some standing. Everything was magnified.

Now, make that during the young man's first MLB game? Add in a throng of pre-game media the bulk of which covers the home team. It's a lot for a person.  That's why Theo breaks them in on the road.  By the time the adulation rains down on they, they've had 3+ games under their belt.

Makes sense to me.

I guess I'm just going to keep agreeing with Chuck and assume that today is the day the world ends.

This sure seems like Theo's MO so far.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #522 on: April 14, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 14, 2015, 12:22:55 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 14, 2015, 12:13:29 PM
Does anyone really think that Ephoyer gives two shits about what some shitty sportswriter writes about the reasons for the Bryant thing?  I fully expect him to be up on Friday for good because it may be what's best for The Cubs (both in terms of sending him down for the extra year of control and for bringing him up as soon as possible because he's good at baseball and can help this team ASAP).  If he's not up on Friday, it will only be because Hoystein doesn't think he's ready to contribute to the major league club yet.  I really think it's that simple and Gordo and his ilk can go get bent.

I don't think they break him in at home.  They didn't do that with Baez or Soler. Road opens.  Less media, no raving fans.  Still betting the 20th or 24th.

I don't get this.  Is Bryant getting little media attention now?  March was Kris Bryant month on MLB Network.  I think this whole "debut him on the road only" thing is weird.

Now, make that during the young man's first MLB game? Add in a throng of pre-game media the bulk of which covers the home team. It's a lot for a person.  That's why Theo breaks them in on the road.  By the time the adulation rains down on they, they've had 3+ games under their belt.

Makes sense to me.

I guess I'm just going to keep agreeing with Chuck and assume that today is the day the world ends.

This sure seems like Theo's MO so far.

Yeah I kind of agree here, too. It's definitely in keeping with what Theo usually does. Youk and Pedroia were probably the two most heralded rookies of the Theo Era in Boston and both debuted on the road. Javy, Mendy, and Soler debuted on the road. Rizzo was called up at home for the Cubs but had already been in the bigs.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #523 on: April 14, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »

This.  There are two ways of debuting: at home, or away.  As it happens, the last two Cubs' prospects have debuted on the road.  Who knows if that was deliberate or not?  What I do know is that it's a stretch to subsequently conclude that Bryant can't debut at Wrigley.

Having said that, I can't wait for the 50/50 chance to go against me so that Internet Chuck gets to pretend that he was right all along.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #524 on: April 14, 2015, 12:44:31 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 14, 2015, 12:35:23 PM

This.  There are two ways of debuting: at home, or away.  As it happens, the last two Cubs' prospects have debuted on the road.  Who knows if that was deliberate or not?  What I do know is that it's a stretch to subsequently conclude that Bryant can't debut at Wrigley.

Having said that, I can't wait for the 50/50 chance to go against me so that Internet Chuck gets to pretend that he was right all along.

Can't? No. Won't? Yes.