News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 139,142 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #930 on: August 11, 2015, 08:21:51 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on August 11, 2015, 08:17:11 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 10, 2015, 12:25:58 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on August 10, 2015, 12:23:40 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 10, 2015, 12:22:44 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 10, 2015, 12:20:24 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 10, 2015, 11:09:00 AM
Through 8 games in August after an abysmal July that seems to have been just as much about bad batted ball luck (.214 BABIP in July vs. .341 on the season) as it was about his many K's (which never really got much worse than his season average even in his good months anyway):

.304/.484/.478/.962.

Pretty great to see Kris Bryant in a lineup where he's hitting like that and might be just the third biggest threat (and that might be unfair to Jorge and his .370/.469/.407 line this month).

I still just do not understand Jorge's piss poor slugging average.

I think it's two factors: he is a lot like young Castro in that he can hit basically anything within reach of the strike zone. The problem is that he tries to do just that, and doesn't always wait for the ones he can smack into the seats.

The other is that he hits balls so fucking hard into the outfield that they roll straight to the outfielders and don't ever let him take an extra base. It feels like he has to hit one down the line or off the wall to get extra bases.

The first one makes sense. The second does not.

How doesn't it make sense? One example I can think of came in the Thursday night game against the Giants if I remember correctly. Rizzo was on second and Jorge smoked a 2 out single that couldn't get Rizzo home because he hit it 114 MPH and it went directly to the left fielder. If he hit the thing 90 MPH it probably dies in the grass and there's not even a chance to throw Rizzo out at the plate. He hits it almost too hard for extra bases sometimes, and he seems to have just bad luck with finding gaps so far.
How does Rizzo not scoring from second on a Soler single cause him to have a low slugging percentage?

It doesn't, I was just thinking of an example where Jorge hit a ball so hard it that even though it was a hit it got to the outfielder faster than your average base hit would have, thus Rizzo had to hold up. That was just the most recent example I could think of, he's had others. Regardless, Apex is right, the slugging % is mostly just him not elevating the ball and getting some dongs to boost it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #931 on: August 11, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 08:21:51 AM
Through 8 games in August after an abysmal July that seems to have been just as much about bad batted ball luck (.214 BABIP in July vs. .341 on the season) as it was about his many K's (which never really got much worse than his season average even in his good months anyway):

.304/.484/.478/.962.

Pretty great to see Kris Bryant in a lineup where he's hitting like that and might be just the third biggest threat (and that might be unfair to Jorge and his .370/.469/.407 line this month).

I think it's two factors: he is a lot like young Castro in that he can hit basically anything within reach of the strike zone. The problem is that he tries to do just that, and doesn't always wait for the ones he can smack into the seats.

The other is that he hits balls so fucking hard into the outfield that they roll straight to the outfielders and don't ever let him take an extra base. It feels like he has to hit one down the line or off the wall to get extra bases.

How doesn't it make sense? One example I can think of came in the Thursday night game against the Giants if I remember correctly. Rizzo was on second and Jorge smoked a 2 out single that couldn't get Rizzo home because he hit it 114 MPH and it went directly to the left fielder. If he hit the thing 90 MPH it probably dies in the grass and there's not even a chance to throw Rizzo out at the plate. He hits it almost too hard for extra bases sometimes, and he seems to have just bad luck with finding gaps so far.
How does Rizzo not scoring from second on a Soler single cause him to have a low slugging percentage?

It doesn't, I was just thinking of an example where Jorge hit a ball so hard it that even though it was a hit it got to the outfielder faster than your average base hit would have, thus Rizzo had to hold up. That was just the most recent example I could think of, he's had others. Regardless, Apex is right, the slugging % is mostly just him not elevating the ball and getting some dongs to boost it.

But with that sort of velocity coming off the bat, wouldn't it also figure that at some point when these balls start finding gaps they get to the wall before anybody has a chance of reaching it?

Elevation or no elevation, I'd think that his making consistent contact with that sort of velocity means that the slugging percentage will eventually correct itself.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #932 on: August 11, 2015, 08:37:42 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 11, 2015, 08:26:27 AM

.304/.484/.478/.962.

But with that sort of velocity coming off the bat, wouldn't it also figure that at some point when these balls start finding gaps they get to the wall before anybody has a chance of reaching it?

Elevation or no elevation, I'd think that his making consistent contact with that sort of velocity means that the slugging percentage will eventually correct itself.

Yeah I think it will, I was just citing the handful of examples I can think of as a reason why his slugging percentage right now is so low. Bad luck/small sample size kinda thing. But anyways it was a dumb theory and has been soundly defeated so I withdraw it.

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #933 on: August 11, 2015, 09:10:26 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 08:37:42 AM

.304/.484/.478/.962.

Yeah I think it will, I was just citing the handful of examples I can think of as a reason why his slugging percentage right now is so low. Bad luck/small sample size kinda thing. But anyways it was a dumb theory and has been soundly defeated so I withdraw it.

But I think the slugging percentage may actually be high for someone who doesn't hit many home runs and strikes out as often as he does. His BABIP is .387. That's a three with an eighty-seven after it. So those low liners and worm burners are raising his slugging, not hindering it.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #934 on: August 11, 2015, 09:17:33 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 11, 2015, 09:10:26 AM

.304/.484/.478/.962.

But I think the slugging percentage may actually be high for someone who doesn't hit many home runs and strikes out as often as he does. His BABIP is .387. That's a three with an eighty-seven after it. So those low liners and worm burners are raising his slugging, not hindering it.

Yeah we're all agreed he'll eventually elevate the ball and hit homers and that'll be that. Also I realize his BABIP seems high but his career BABIP is now at .375 in 429 PAs. I think that's fairly stable. In the minors he managed BABIPS of .457, .338, .349 etc in different stops. Dude just kills baseballs. If he can ever increase his contact rate to what he did in the minors we're looking at a batting title contender. He just hits the ball really fucking hard. It's a good thing. Good things will come from it. I'm John Feinstein.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #935 on: August 11, 2015, 09:22:58 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 09:17:33 AM

.304/.484/.478/.962.

Yeah we're all agreed he'll eventually elevate the ball and hit homers and that'll be that. Also I realize his BABIP seems high but his career BABIP is now at .375 in 429 PAs. I think that's fairly stable. In the minors he managed BABIPS of .457, .338, .349 etc in different stops. Dude just kills baseballs. If he can ever increase his contact rate to what he did in the minors we're looking at a batting title contender. He just hits the ball really fucking hard. It's a good thing. Good things will come from it. I'm John Feinstein.

I just fucking lol'd.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #936 on: August 11, 2015, 09:29:58 AM »

I think BABIP stabilizes closer to 900ish at-bats, so he's got a ways to go. He might be able to settle in around .340-350 in an ideal scenario, but things are inflated at the moment. There's more to it than just hitting the ball really hard (Stanton's career mark is .328). Among the long-term leaders, there's usually some element of speed involved or just being a truly elite hitter, like Cabrera or Goldschmidt.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #937 on: August 11, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 11, 2015, 09:29:58 AM

I think BABIP stabilizes closer to 900ish at-bats, so he's got a ways to go. He might be able to settle in around .340-350 in an ideal scenario, but things are inflated at the moment. There's more to it than just hitting the ball really hard (Stanton's career mark is .328). Among the long-term leaders, there's usually some element of speed involved or just being a truly elite hitter, like Cabrera or Goldschmidt.

Fair enough. I do think he'll make more frequent contact anyway as time goes by. Even if the BABIP sinks down to like .325ish I really don't think he's going to be a guy that K's 30% of the time in the long run. He does seem to have a good sense of the strike zone and it feels like he's starting to turn a corner vs. sliders (the big two run double he hit on Friday came after he fought off several of them and was waiting for one he could handle with two strikes). Hopefully it all evens out.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #938 on: August 11, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 11, 2015, 09:22:58 AM

.304/.484/.478/.962.

I just fucking lol'd.

That might be the funniest thing SKO has ever said.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #939 on: August 12, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
There's that oppo dong power we've been looking for.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #940 on: August 19, 2015, 01:01:30 AM »
TPD (!).  Not one of his better ABs, against Rondon in the 9th.  Woof.

Still love him though.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #941 on: August 20, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »
4-4 with a homer and a double is nice. I liked it. 10/10, would try again.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #942 on: August 23, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »
Bump for a two homer day.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #943 on: August 24, 2015, 03:45:16 PM »
KRIS BRYANT BITCHES

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #944 on: August 24, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
!!!