News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 138,669 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 27, 2015, 09:39:11 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 27, 2015, 09:28:19 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on February 27, 2015, 09:26:53 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 27, 2015, 09:20:13 AM
I actually feel like some of this debate over who will play what position might end up being overblown. Maddon has a history of moving guys around. Wouldn't really be surprising for Baez to play some 2B and 3B or Bryant to move to the OF sometimes, Schwarber to play catcher and OF, etc.

It's all we have to do until we've seen each player in live action at least 100 times.

Well that and putting together laughably bad trade packages for Cole Hamels.

Christian Villanueva was highly touted once. I bet Amaro would pull that trigger, you guys.

I bet "we'd" have to throw in Duane Underwood.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #361 on: February 27, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »
I actually feel like some of this debate over who will play what position might end up being overblown. Maddon has a history of moving guys around. Wouldn't really be surprising for Baez to play some 2B and 3B or Bryant to move to the OF sometimes, Schwarber to play catcher and OF, etc.

And this is only a real "problem" if all of Bryant, Baez, Schwarber and Russell hit their projections (and Schwarber can't stick at catcher). Odds are, one of them is going to disappoint and then this whole position thing will be moot.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #362 on: February 27, 2015, 09:59:09 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 27, 2015, 09:52:20 AM

And this is only a real "problem" if all of Bryant, Baez, Schwarber and Russell hit their projections (and Schwarber can't stick at catcher). Odds are, one of them is going to disappoint and then this whole position thing will be moot.
I think the best case scenario for Schwarber is basically a Gattis type who might play catcher once or twice a week and spend the rest of the time in the OF.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #363 on: February 27, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 27, 2015, 09:59:09 AM

I think the best case scenario for Schwarber is basically a Gattis type who might play catcher once or twice a week and spend the rest of the time in the OF.

Well, I think the best-case is that he sticks at catcher and is a left-handed Mike Piazza.

It may just be org-speak, but McLeod, Hoyer and Theo have all raved about his improvements back there in just a year. It's still unlikely he'll stick, but I'm more optimistic about it now than I was in June.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #364 on: February 27, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 27, 2015, 10:17:04 AM

Well, I think the best-case is that he sticks at catcher and is a left-handed Mike Piazza.

It may just be org-speak, but McLeod, Hoyer and Theo have all raved about his improvements back there in just a year. It's still unlikely he'll stick, but I'm more optimistic about it now than I was in June.

I feel like they wouldn't still be trying it after half a season of pro ball if he didn't show some ability to play there. Given how close to MLB-ready his bat is you'd think if the catcher thing was a hopeless cause they'd just shove him in LF right away and get him ready for a late 2015 call-up.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #365 on: February 27, 2015, 10:23:40 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 27, 2015, 10:18:23 AM

I feel like they wouldn't still be trying it after half a season of pro ball if he didn't show some ability to play there. Given how close to MLB-ready his bat is you'd think if the catcher thing was a hopeless cause they'd just shove him in LF right away and get him ready for a late 2015 call-up.

I'm also interested to see if he's challenged a bit at AA. Not that his season wasn't impressive, but advanced bats drafted that high are kind of supposed to destroy A ball. This year will be a good test. It'll be exciting. It is exciting. I am excited.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #366 on: February 27, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »

I think you mean this time next year we'll be looking at the Cubs schedule wondering when Schwarber gets his call up.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
Quote from: Fork on February 27, 2015, 10:25:15 AM

I think you mean this time next year we'll be looking at the Cubs schedule wondering when Schwarber gets his call up.

Most likely since they're going to try to develop him defensively. I just feel like if he was going to just be a corner OF and he mashed AA ball the way he started off in A ball last year they might have considered him for a September 2015 showing.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 27, 2015, 10:23:40 AM

I'm also interested to see if he's challenged a bit at AA. Not that his season wasn't impressive, but advanced bats drafted that high are kind of supposed to destroy A ball. This year will be a good test. It'll be exciting. It is exciting. I am excited.

I expect the video game power numbers to decline but it'd be awesome if he could sustain that OBP.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #369 on: February 27, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 27, 2015, 10:28:05 AM

Most likely since they're going to try to develop him defensively. I just feel like if he was going to just be a corner OF and he mashed AA ball the way he started off in A ball last year they might have considered him for a September 2015 showing.

I just figure they're going to keep him down to hold another year of control. They bring him up this fall and he and Bryant both come due at the same time.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #370 on: February 27, 2015, 10:30:12 AM »
Quote from: Fork on February 27, 2015, 10:29:19 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 27, 2015, 10:28:05 AM

I just figure they're going to keep him down to hold another year of control. They bring him up this fall and he and Bryant both come due at the same time.

I don't think they're as worried about that with him because he's not a Boras client and also because we've hopefully reached the point of things by the end of this year where adding a potential impact player means more than worrying about fucking service time.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #371 on: February 27, 2015, 10:54:14 AM »
I'm actually somewhat worried Kris Bryant is gonna be not that good in the majors. Anyone else have this fear?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #372 on: February 27, 2015, 10:57:43 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 27, 2015, 10:54:14 AM
I'm actually somewhat worried Kris Bryant is gonna be not that good in the majors. Anyone else have this fear?

Yes but we don't say it out loud. Certainly the contact issue is one that could mean something very bad or maybe mean nothing. Maybe he continues to get insane quality out of his contact in the majors, maybe he ends up being Mark Reynolds. I don't really see him being bad, but I definitely fear him not being this transcendent franchise cornerstone.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #373 on: February 27, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »

I'm afraid of the government. I'm afraid of another global economic collapse. I'm afraid of bringing offspring into this world of shit.

I'm not afraid that Kris Bryant will turn out to be not that great in the majors. Because I'm certain that he will and that for my last several years on this accursed rock I will never experience a day in which I fail to wear an article of clothing that says "Cubs" and "World Series Champions" on it.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #374 on: February 27, 2015, 11:00:31 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 27, 2015, 10:57:43 AM

Yes but we don't say it out loud. Certainly the contact issue is one that could mean something very bad or maybe mean nothing. Maybe he continues to get insane quality out of his contact in the majors, maybe he ends up being Mark Reynolds. I don't really see him being bad, but I definitely fear him not being this transcendent franchise cornerstone.

Mark Reynolds never had an OBP as high as Bryant's career marks. This isn't a concern.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.