News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 138,662 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #450 on: March 16, 2015, 05:14:13 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 16, 2015, 04:37:15 PM
Quote from: Fork on March 16, 2015, 04:33:29 PM
why wouldn't the Cubs give him his next contract? Both Rizzo and Castro would certainly be able to make more money had they not extended and went through to free agency, but we're also all assuming that Bryant won't want to stay here. In the final analysis, what happens to Kris Bryant is dependent on Kris Bryant.

They would. But the Boras history says that A) the bulk of guys don't sign early; and B) those that don't leave.  While I have seen a few names of guys who signed early extensions, I have yet to see the name of a Boras client that reached free agency that stayed with his original team.

Er...He has yet to take a pitch in the major leagues and we are trying to figure out if he will leave after 2020 or 2021?  For my part I don't give a damn.  I will be happy to be cognitive for the 2021 season.
(Chances are that the Cubs will trade him in May of 2017 for a late inning reliever and another shortstop.)
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #451 on: March 16, 2015, 07:49:12 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 16, 2015, 04:37:15 PM
Quote from: Fork on March 16, 2015, 04:33:29 PM
why wouldn't the Cubs give him his next contract? Both Rizzo and Castro would certainly be able to make more money had they not extended and went through to free agency, but we're also all assuming that Bryant won't want to stay here. In the final analysis, what happens to Kris Bryant is dependent on Kris Bryant.

They would. But the Boras history says that A) the bulk of guys don't sign early; and B) those that don't leave.  While I have seen a few names of guys who signed early extensions, I have yet to see the name of a Boras client that reached free agency that stayed with his original team.

OK, let's say Kris Bryant becomes all we hope he'd be and more. If Boras looks to get him top dollar, who's to say the team offering (with their renovated ballpark and spanking-new network by then) won't be the Cubs?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #452 on: March 16, 2015, 09:16:22 PM »
Literally no one here has said that or suggested it. All anyone is saying is that Bryant will reach free agency. Odds probably are good he'd re-sign with the Cubs, but it would still be at top dollar. Very small chance he'll take a team friendly deal like Rizzo well before he might hit FA.  So the control is important in that it puts off that big contract and the chance Bryant might not be a Cub in 2021 for the guarantee that he will be.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #453 on: March 17, 2015, 08:04:48 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 16, 2015, 09:16:22 PM
Literally no one here has said that or suggested it. All anyone is saying is that Bryant will reach free agency. Odds probably Are good he'd re-sign with the Cubs, but it would still be at top dollar. Very small chance he'll take a team friendly deal like Rizzo well before he might hit FA.  So the control is important in that it puts off that big contract and the Chance Bryant might not be a Cub in 2021 for the guarantee that he will be.

Chance Bryant just finished playing a round of mixed doubles with Muffy, Brooke and Chad.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #454 on: March 17, 2015, 08:09:06 AM »
Quote from: flannj on March 17, 2015, 08:04:48 AM
Literally no one here has said that or suggested it. All anyone is saying is that Bryant will reach free agency. Odds probably are good he'd re-sign with the Cubs, but it would still be at top dollar. Very small chance he'll take a team friendly deal like Rizzo well before he might hit FA.  So the control is important in that it puts off that big contract and the chance Bryant might not be a Cub in 2021 for the guarantee that he will be.

Chance Bryant just finished playing a round of mixed doubles with Muffy, Brooke and Chad.

I always have trouble getting italics to work when I post from my phone, so I capitalize first letters for emphasis instead. Fixed it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #455 on: March 17, 2015, 08:14:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 17, 2015, 08:09:06 AM
Quote from: flannj on March 17, 2015, 08:04:48 AM

I always have trouble getting italics to work when I post from my phone, so I capitalize first letters for emphasis instead. Fixed it.

Thank God. I don't know how long I could of taken it.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #456 on: March 17, 2015, 08:14:49 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 17, 2015, 08:09:06 AM
so I capitalize first letters for emphasis instead.

That makes No sense.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #457 on: March 17, 2015, 08:23:37 AM »

But how can you state something is an absolute when we have a huge time period between here and there filled with variables?

As it is, whether the Cubs have Bryant on the Opening Night roster or not, they still have years of control over Bryant. So at this point, no..Scott Boras doesn't mean a fucking thing.

And when the time comes, if the Cubs want to keep him on the roster, they'll have the resources to make it happen.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #458 on: March 17, 2015, 08:36:06 AM »
Quote from: Fork on March 17, 2015, 08:23:37 AM
But how can you state something is an absolute when we have a huge time period between here and there filled with variables?

Quotewhen the time comes, if the Cubs want to keep him on the roster, they'll have the resources to make it happen.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #459 on: March 17, 2015, 09:06:28 AM »
Quote from: Eli on March 17, 2015, 08:36:06 AM

Quotewhen the time comes, if the Cubs want to keep him on the roster, they'll have the resources to make it happen.

Money is absolute. Humans aren't.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #460 on: March 17, 2015, 09:09:52 AM »
Quote from: Fork on March 17, 2015, 09:06:28 AM

And you can guarantee that with all of the renovations and whatnot and a rebuild that still is completely unproven and stuff that the Cubs will have enough money to outbid the Yankees or Red Sox or Angels or Dodgers six years from now? This is dumb.

All anyone is saying is that there are a lot of fucking variables between now and 2021, one of those variables being Scott Boras and his clients histories of not taking extensions before they have a chance to test the market. That's a variable that Theo and Jed have no doubt discussed. Even if it's a small part of their process, it is a part, and it's just one of Many reasons why it's worth trading two weeks for an extra guaranteed year of control.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #461 on: March 17, 2015, 09:14:51 AM »

And thankfully money is not a human construct.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #462 on: March 17, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 17, 2015, 09:09:52 AM

And you can guarantee that with all of the renovations and whatnot and a rebuild that still is completely unproven and stuff that the Cubs will have enough money to outbid the Yankees or Red Sox or Angels or Dodgers six years from now? This is dumb.

How so? The Cubs are currently running relatively lean financially, even with the Lester and Jackson deals. Jackson rolls off in a couple years.

The Cubs will have fuckloads of money, because the Ricketts family has fuckloads of money - regardless of potential future revenue sources. If Bryant winds up being a superstar and decides to ply his trade elsewhere, it won't be because the Cubs can't afford him.
TIME TO POST!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #463 on: March 17, 2015, 09:16:13 AM »
Quote from: Eli on March 17, 2015, 09:14:51 AM

And thankfully money is not a human construct.

It's at least more reliable than Mark Prior, the last Cub wunderkind who we would have had to worry about keeping beyond 5 years.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #464 on: March 17, 2015, 09:17:01 AM »
Quote from: Fork on March 17, 2015, 09:15:07 AM
Quote from: SKO on March 17, 2015, 09:09:52 AM

How so? The Cubs are currently running relatively lean financially, even with the Lester and Jackson deals. Jackson rolls off in a couple years.

The Cubs will have fuckloads of money, because the Ricketts family has fuckloads of money - regardless of potential future revenue sources. If Bryant winds up being a superstar and decides to ply his trade elsewhere, it won't be because the Cubs can't afford him.

Right but why not put that off till 2021 instead of 2020 anyway? The fact that you feel confident you might be able to re-sign him is no reason to bring that decision about any sooner than you have to. That's all any of us are trying to say. Scott Boras is just one factor in that decision, but he's definitely a factor.