News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cesar Chavez  ( 2,603 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Cesar Chavez
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:38:48 PM »
I am curious about the movie coming out tomorrow.  I was Cesar's first attorney back in 1965, fighting off the injunctions that Di Giorgio and Schenley got in friendly Tulare County courts during the grape strike.  I also had quite a few criminal cases related to picket line activity.  I have a feeling that my contribution to La Huelga will not be portrayed.  At the time I was in a small office in San Francisco that mostly represented Teamsters.  The Teamsters were trying to get what was then called the National Farmworkers' Organizing Committee to break away from the AFL/CIO and affiliate with them.  So the Teamsters asked me to go down to Delano.  A lawyer who was representing a rival labor union asked me to come to work for him.  I did, bringing Cesar's union with me and the two unions merged.  That was in 1966, and our office grew from 2 lawyers to over 40 today.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cesar Chavez
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:33:07 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 27, 2014, 08:38:48 PM
I am curious about the movie coming out tomorrow.  I was Cesar's first attorney back in 1965, fighting off the injunctions that Di Giorgio and Schenley got in friendly Tulare County courts during the grape strike.  I also had quite a few criminal cases related to picket line activity.  I have a feeling that my contribution to La Huelga will not be portrayed.  At the time I was in a small office in San Francisco that mostly represented Teamsters.  The Teamsters were trying to get what was then called the National Farmworkers' Organizing Committee to break away from the AFL/CIO and affiliate with them.  So the Teamsters asked me to go down to Delano.  A lawyer who was representing a rival labor union asked me to come to work for him.  I did, bringing Cesar's union with me and the two unions merged.  That was in 1966, and our office grew from 2 lawyers to over 40 today.

This is amazing.
The only site indeed.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cesar Chavez
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:01:44 AM »
Quote from: flannj on March 27, 2014, 09:33:07 PM
Quote from: CBStew on March 27, 2014, 08:38:48 PM
I am curious about the movie coming out tomorrow.  I was Cesar's first attorney back in 1965, fighting off the injunctions that Di Giorgio and Schenley got in friendly Tulare County courts during the grape strike.  I also had quite a few criminal cases related to picket line activity.  I have a feeling that my contribution to La Huelga will not be portrayed.  At the time I was in a small office in San Francisco that mostly represented Teamsters.  The Teamsters were trying to get what was then called the National Farmworkers' Organizing Committee to break away from the AFL/CIO and affiliate with them.  So the Teamsters asked me to go down to Delano.  A lawyer who was representing a rival labor union asked me to come to work for him.  I did, bringing Cesar's union with me and the two unions merged.  That was in 1966, and our office grew from 2 lawyers to over 40 today.

This is amazing.
The only site indeed.

Damn, that's awesome. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the movie, Stew.