News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fargo  ( 33,549 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fargo
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2014, 01:54:34 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 04, 2014, 10:51:38 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on June 04, 2014, 10:43:47 AM
Quote from: CBStew on June 04, 2014, 09:27:53 AM
What just happened?

Lester knows that Malvo knows where he is and what he's up to. And while Lester is enjoying his new alpha-male status, one guy who can knock him back to where he started is sitting in the room with him. All those feelings of fear and dread an inadequacy came flooding back due to Malvo's mere presence. Malvo doesn't even need a reason to destroy Lester. He just enjoys killing and harming people. He's a predator.

Also: Molly and Gus bumped uglies.

And Bill went to the ballet.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.  Key and Peale are going to bust this case wide open.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2014, 02:01:46 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 04, 2014, 01:54:34 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 04, 2014, 10:51:38 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on June 04, 2014, 10:43:47 AM
Quote from: CBStew on June 04, 2014, 09:27:53 AM
What just happened?

Lester knows that Malvo knows where he is and what he's up to. And while Lester is enjoying his new alpha-male status, one guy who can knock him back to where he started is sitting in the room with him. All those feelings of fear and dread an inadequacy came flooding back due to Malvo's mere presence. Malvo doesn't even need a reason to destroy Lester. He just enjoys killing and harming people. He's a predator.

Also: Molly and Gus bumped uglies.

And Bill went to the ballet.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

Are you saying your eyes have beheld Colin Hanks' junk?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
Jesus Fucking Christ, Lester.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »
Quote from: CT III on June 10, 2014, 10:09:54 PM

Now I know why I wouldn't want Lester on my side in a fight.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »
This was quite possibly one of the most tense hours of television I've seen in some time (granted I don't watch a ton of dramas). 

From the confrontation in the elevator (is this what you want?) to the diner scene to Lester and Linda's drive to his office the whole thing was beautiful.  In fact, the way the scene in the car was framed I kept expecting to see the headlights of Malvo's car come into view and t-bone Lester, killing Linda.  Then they arrived at the office and it turned out what Lester had planned was much, much worse.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 09:46:02 AM »
I hated last night's episode. The part where the Spurs shot 75.8% percent in the first half was totally not believable.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 12:00:34 PM »
Quote from: CT III on June 10, 2014, 10:09:54 PM

Lester bought into his own New Lester hype a little too much.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2014, 10:00:42 PM »
Quote from: CT III on June 11, 2014, 09:44:45 AM
This was quite possibly one of the most tense hours of television I've seen in some time (granted I don't watch a ton of dramas).  

From the confrontation in the elevator (is this what you want?) to the diner scene to Lester and Linda's drive to his office the whole thing was beautiful.  In fact, the way the scene in the car was framed I kept expecting to see the headlights of Malvo's car come into view and t-bone Lester, killing Linda.  Then they arrived at the office and it turned out what Lester had planned was much, much worse.

"That's on you."
and
"Shit, Lester."
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
Quote from: flannj on June 13, 2014, 10:00:42 PM

From the confrontation in the elevator (is this what you want?) to the diner scene to Lester and Linda's drive to his office the whole thing was beautiful.  In fact, the way the scene in the car was framed I kept expecting to see the headlights of Malvo's car come into view and t-bone Lester, killing Linda.  Then they arrived at the office and it turned out what Lester had planned was much, much worse.

"That's on you."
and
"Shit, Lester."

I could watch Billy Bob and Wild Bill exchange old war stories for hours on end. This show is so damn good.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2014, 11:37:05 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 14, 2014, 02:32:28 PM

"That's on you."
and
"Shit, Lester."

I could watch Billy Bob and Wild Bill exchange old war stories for hours on end. This show is so damn good.

Yep, and Lou punctuating his story of stacking bodies up in Sioux Falls with a cheerful "ever been?" cracked me right up.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2014, 01:12:18 PM »
Quote from: CT III on June 15, 2014, 11:37:05 AM
Quote from: R-V on June 14, 2014, 02:32:28 PM

"That's on you."
and
"Shit, Lester."

Yep, and Lou punctuating his story of stacking bodies up in Sioux Falls with a cheerful "ever been?" cracked me right up.

I honestly can't tell if there was more to that "ever been?" or if it was just a dry joke, but I like that Lou Solverson is seemingly the only person so far not utterly cowed when Malvo turns on his quiet menace. The man's seen some shit.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2014, 09:20:01 AM »
I feel like I just lost two close friends.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 18, 2014, 09:20:01 AM
I feel like I just lost two close friends.

Agents Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2014, 01:38:21 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the ending.  As is the pattern these days, the penultimate episode was better than the finale, but that's a pretty tall measuring stick.

I see some noise on the internets about people being dissatisfied with Gus taking down Malvo, but it made sense to me.  As much as Malvo's influence set Lester on the path from sadsack to sociopath, Molly was responsible for Gus' transformation. In the pilot, he lets Malvo go thinking he's protecting his daughter. In the end he realizes the only way he can protect his loved ones is by stopping Malvo.   

Also, it surprised me at how relieved I was that Bill's just a decent guy who is in over his head as sheriff.  With all the good actors on this show, I think Odenkirk's turn gets overlooked a bit. He was excellent.

Also somebody pointed me to this:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2014/06/23/140623crte_television_nussbaum

QuoteIt certainly juices the story, by giving "Fargo" 's antihero, Lester, a motive and a history, and amplifying the evil he embraces, dramatizing it in the human (or possibly superhuman) form of Malvo.

I would think the television critic for the New Yorker would know the difference between an antihero and a goddamned antagonist.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »
Quote from: CT III on June 18, 2014, 01:38:21 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the ending.  As is the pattern these days, the penultimate episode was better than the finale, but that's a pretty tall measuring stick.

I see some noise on the internets about people being dissatisfied with Gus taking down Malvo, but it made sense to me.  As much as Malvo's influence set Lester on the path from sadsack to sociopath, Molly was responsible for Gus' transformation. In the pilot, he lets Malvo go thinking he's protecting his daughter. In the end he realizes the only way he can protect his loved ones is by stopping Malvo.   

Also, it surprised me at how relieved I was that Bill's just a decent guy who is in over his head as sheriff.  With all the good actors on this show, I think Odenkirk's turn gets overlooked a bit. He was excellent.

Also somebody pointed me to this:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2014/06/23/140623crte_television_nussbaum

QuoteIt certainly juices the story, by giving "Fargo" 's antihero, Lester, a motive and a history, and amplifying the evil he embraces, dramatizing it in the human (or possibly superhuman) form of Malvo.

I would think the television critic for the New Yorker would know the difference between an antihero and a goddamned antagonist.

Seriously. The only differences I see between Lester and Malvo is that Lester (a) isn't honest (with others or himself) about the extent of his broken moral compass (b) isn't as skilled at killing and (c) isn't as skilled at delivering menacing parables about how humans are really just animals. Otherwise they are both villains and I don't see how anyone could view either of them as any sort of hero.