News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Addison Russell's Barry Larkin-esque 2040 HOF Primer Thread  ( 51,654 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Addison Russell's Barry Larkin-esque 2040 HOF Primer Thread
« Reply #285 on: November 01, 2016, 08:31:05 PM »
Bump.

• First SS to hit a World Series grand slam.
  • Holds the record for most RBI in a game where his team faces elimination.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: November 01, 2016, 08:48:11 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 01, 2016, 08:31:05 PM
Bump.

He's tied for the record for most RBI in a WS game, period
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: November 01, 2016, 09:38:19 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 01, 2016, 08:48:11 PM
Bump.

Also first grand slam ever in the month of November.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: November 01, 2016, 09:41:08 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 01, 2016, 09:38:19 PM
Bump.

Derek Jeter sucks. All hail the real Mr. November.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: November 02, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 21, 2016, 10:21:50 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 21, 2016, 10:10:55 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on October 21, 2016, 09:42:24 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 21, 2016, 09:36:03 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on October 21, 2016, 08:35:52 AM
It's very interesting to me how successful at bats develop. Before he hit his homerun, Russell looked bad on a swing, and he looked pretty frustrated in the process. It speaks to his character baseball ability and solid mental approach that he didn't change his approach after a bad swing.

I'm probably being a semantic dick but it ain't got nothing to do with his character.

I'll concede your point. I just feel that not succumbing to the pressure/adrenaline, and maintaining your approach (i.e., playing with poise), is an example of your character.

Oh Kurt, don't you know that you're not allowed to bring about "character" around these parts?

The only thing that matters is statz, bro.

This isn't a computers versus grit argument, dingus. Obviously there is a HUGE mental aspect to the game - as evidenced by how much focus this regime puts on mental makeup. But when I think of "character" I think of how a guy treats his family and friends and acts as a citizen in general (e.g. Rizzo good, Chapman bad). Which is different than his mental makeup as an athlete. I'm probably splitting hairs here.

No, I think discipline speaks to character. Rizzo seems like a good guy, and I'm sure he's done bad things. Chapman on the other hand, I'm sure he's done a good deed or two somewhere. I would hope that Chapman who has lived a very volatile 28 years -- and was a tool of a totalitarian state for his first 21 years before winding up as a MILLIONAIRE BASEBALL STAR with everything handed to him -- will work on his character before he hurts more people or himself.

As for Russell, by all accounts he's a good guy at 22 whopping years old. Of course, he's had a lot of stability in his life, but displaying that kind of discipline as a 22-year-old who has overmatched his peers his whole life until the past 3 or 4 years speaks something to his character.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: November 02, 2016, 10:54:54 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 02, 2016, 10:16:06 AM
It's very interesting to me how successful at bats develop. Before he hit his homerun, Russell looked bad on a swing, and he looked pretty frustrated in the process. It speaks to his character baseball ability and solid mental approach that he didn't change his approach after a bad swing.

I'm probably being a semantic dick but it ain't got nothing to do with his character.

I'll concede your point. I just feel that not succumbing to the pressure/adrenaline, and maintaining your approach (i.e., playing with poise), is an example of your character.

Oh Kurt, don't you know that you're not allowed to bring about "character" around these parts?

This isn't a computers versus grit argument, dingus. Obviously there is a HUGE mental aspect to the game - as evidenced by how much focus this regime puts on mental makeup. But when I think of "character" I think of how a guy treats his family and friends and acts as a citizen in general (e.g. Rizzo good, Chapman bad). Which is different than his mental makeup as an athlete. I'm probably splitting hairs here.

No, I think discipline speaks to character. Rizzo seems like a good guy, and I'm sure he's done bad things. Chapman on the other hand, I'm sure he's done a good deed or two somewhere. I would hope that Chapman who has lived a very volatile 28 years -- and was a tool of a totalitarian state for his first 21 years before winding up as a MILLIONAIRE BASEBALL STAR with everything handed to him -- will work on his character before he hurts more people or himself.

As for Russell, by all accounts he's a good guy at 22 whopping years old. Of course, he's had a lot of stability in his life, but displaying that kind of discipline as a 22-year-old who has overmatched his peers his whole life until the past 3 or 4 years speaks something to his character.

Aside from the 2 babies inside of 9 months of each other from 2 different women, yea

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #291 on: November 02, 2016, 10:57:05 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 02, 2016, 10:54:54 AM

Aside from the 2 babies inside of 9 months of each other from 2 different women, yea

I don't know that a 20 year old athlete having sex with two different women in a relatively short timespan is "instability" or anything to judge him for at all. He seems to have a happy marriage to one of them now and he's actively involved in the life of the other kid.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #292 on: November 02, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2016, 10:57:05 AM

I don't know that a 20 year old athlete having sex with two different women in a relatively short timespan is "instability" or anything to judge him for at all. He seems to have a happy marriage to one of them now and he's actively involved in the life of the other kid.

No, having sex as a 20 year old is not a mark of instability, but shooting 2 silver bullets each time and creating unexpected pregnancies certainly probably created at least a little bit of upheaval in Addy's life.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: November 02, 2016, 11:19:52 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on November 02, 2016, 11:05:50 AM

No, having sex as a 20 year old is not a mark of instability, but shooting 2 silver bullets each time and creating unexpected pregnancies certainly probably created at least a little bit of upheaval in Addy's life.

DAT

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: November 02, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »

Yeah, that's fair. I probably read more stank into Yeti's response than he intended. I just didn't think it was fair to imply a guy may not be mature or stable if he happened to have two kids with two different women in a relatively short time span. Shit happens. He seems to be doing right by both kids so that's all that counts as far as I am concerned. But re-reading it I don't think that's what Yeti was doing. my bad.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: November 02, 2016, 11:33:47 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2016, 11:22:05 AM

Yeah, that's fair. I probably read more stank into Yeti's response than he intended. I just didn't think it was fair to imply a guy may not be mature or stable if he happened to have two kids with two different women in a relatively short time span. Shit happens. He seems to be doing right by both kids so that's all that counts as far as I am concerned. But re-reading it I don't think that's what Yeti was doing. my bad.

Yea, I'm not judging. (I'd probably be dead if I had all the privilege and money) I just chuckled at Addy's life stability when he had something happen that was kind of a dramatic moment

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: November 02, 2016, 02:29:12 PM »
Bump.

It is also the first World Series grand slam to be hit by a Cub shortstop while I was in the next room checking my email.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #297 on: November 02, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 02, 2016, 02:29:12 PM
Bump.

It is also the first World Series grand slam to be hit by a Cub shortstop while I was in the next room checking my email.

Now we know where you'll be, and what you'll be doing, for the duration of Cub at bats in game seven.
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #298 on: February 10, 2017, 11:56:29 PM »
Quote"When I gave birth, I was kind of out of it with the drugs,'' Milany Russell told USA Today. "So when I came out of it, there was already the name on the birth certificate: 'Geoffreye O'Neal Addison Robert Watts Jr III.'"

Apparently, the name stuck. At age 13, Russell's mother gave him a one-time option to change his name when he was adopted by Wayne, his stepfather and the man he considers his father, USA Today reported. He chose Addison Wayne Russell.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: February 11, 2017, 02:37:49 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on February 10, 2017, 11:56:29 PM
Quote"When I gave birth, I was kind of out of it with the drugs,'' Milany Russell told USA Today. "So when I came out of it, there was already the name on the birth certificate: 'Geoffreye O'Neal Addison Robert Watts Jr III.'"

Apparently, the name stuck. At age 13, Russell's mother gave him a one-time option to change his name when he was adopted by Wayne, his stepfather and the man he considers his father, USA Today reported. He chose Addison Wayne Russell.
King Geoffreye Geoffer Russell