News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2014 General NFL Thread  ( 27,918 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2014 General NFL Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2014, 09:28:22 AM »
Quote from: BH on September 19, 2014, 09:21:08 AM
Marshall's press conference wasn't long enough in my opinion. He did a great job making the girl seem guilty of the DV that happened and that he was a victim in all of this. He seems to really have taken ownership in his actions. Did I miss anything else?

Did Marshall need to take ownership of his actions if that girl really was trying to take advantage of him, which the court and a letter of her own admission said she did?

I've heard him take responsibility for his other fuckups, especially with his current wife. He's in therapy. He takes medication. He advocates for mental health awareness. He used the press conference to call for an open dialogue on domestic violence which he called a worldwide epidemic. He literally details his history of violence on his own website. He talked about how being traded to Chicago probably "saved his life" because he was in such a dark place and the work he's done to bring himself back from it. He's stayed incident free now for almost four years.

I agree the press conference was a rambling mess and he should have stopped, but I don't think he needed to stand there and apologize when he's spent the last three years trying to fix his shit. The man writes op-eds about the need to remove the stigma from NFL players who seek help for mental issues, for crying out loud. If you worked as hard as he had to rehab your image for years and then someone dragged up something you were found innocent of seven years ago and brought your name back down into the mud, you wouldn't be a little angry?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2014, 09:33:44 AM »
I mean, shit, Marshall was accused by another woman of hitting her in a nightclub right before he was traded to the Bears, then video evidence showed that she and others actually attacked Marshall and his wife. That's direct evidence that people actually have tried to accuse him of shit just to get money from him. I realize it seems in poor taste to ever seemingly "blame the victim" in these cases and he really should have just skipped this whole thing, but it does happen, it's happened to him, and I understand why he wigged out at seemingly having everyone viewing him as a bad guy again after all the work he's done to try to not be a bad guy.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2014, 09:33:44 AM
I mean, shit, Marshall was accused by another woman of hitting her in a nightclub right before he was traded to the Bears, then video evidence showed that she and others actually attacked Marshall and his wife. That's direct evidence that people actually have tried to accuse him of shit just to get money from him. I realize it seems in poor taste to ever seemingly "blame the victim" in these cases and he really should have just skipped this whole thing, but it does happen, it's happened to him, and I understand why he wigged out at seemingly having everyone viewing him as a bad guy again after all the work he's done to try to not be a bad guy.

Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2014, 08:53:50 AM
It's an excuse that makes them victims and removes their own culpability and I don't buy it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2014, 09:42:18 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 19, 2014, 09:39:07 AM

It's an excuse that makes them victims and removes their own culpability and I don't buy it.

I understand what you're doing, but no charges were filed against Marshall in that case because the cops said the video evidence showed they were attacked, they attacked no one. It's not an excuse.

Again, Brandon has taken responsibility for most of the stuff he's done. He's in therapy. He served a suspension. He advocates for mental health awareness. He's done basically the exact track of rehabilitation that's being advocated by everyone for all of these other guys. Why keep harping on him when he seems to have righted his own ship?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »

I just don't get why he thought it was a good idea to bring documentation to his press release. The letter that he read, she during testimony, said he "begged" her to write it to clear his name. The lawyer asking for money happens in every case when a settlement is presented, it's not extortion. The whole thing was stupid. If the driver of all this was how ESPN portrayed him, and if he's so concerned about the message, then he should have been apart of the production of it. You think Gloria Allred is going to back down now? She wasn't even talking about Brandon Marshall, she was going after the NFL. Now Marshall has put himself right into the middle again.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2014, 09:49:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2014, 09:42:18 AM

I understand what you're doing, but no charges were filed against Marshall in that case because the cops said the video evidence showed they were attacked, they attacked no one. It's not an excuse.

Again, Brandon has taken responsibility for most of the stuff he's done. He's in therapy. He served a suspension. He advocates for mental health awareness. He's done basically the exact track of rehabilitation that's being advocated by everyone for all of these other guys. Why keep harping on him when he seems to have righted his own ship?

Because he hijacked a press conference to talk 50 minutes about it for no reason?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2014, 09:50:51 AM »

I'm just doubtful you'd be so eager to defend Marshall above Rice and Peterson if he weren't on your favorite team.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
Quote from: BH on September 19, 2014, 09:49:17 AM

Because he hijacked a press conference to talk 50 minutes about it for no reason?

It wasn't for no reason. He was mad that on the same day a lawyer called a press conference to dredge up something that he was found innocent of seven years ago ESPN aired a documentary from years ago before he got help that made him look pretty bad. He never should have done the press conference but I totally get why he Thought he needed to clear his name. He just should have realized all he could do by talking was lose the battle of public opinion, which he clearly has.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2014, 09:54:47 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 19, 2014, 09:50:51 AM

I'm just doubtful you'd be so eager to defend Marshall above Rice and Peterson if he weren't on your favorite team.

That's true, but a lot of that is just from the constant access to Brandon that entails. He's used his position as a Bear as a platform to encourage people to get help for their issues frequently. He admits to lots of mistakes in his past. He's always seemed contrite and open about not being the best person before. I just feel like he's already done everything we'd want these guys to do. He's not innocent of domestic violence. He admits it happened with his wife the night he attacked her and she stabbed him. He also says that's when he realized he needed help and got it without even getting arrested or suspended. Just seems Brandon has "done his time" and I don't see what we gain from yelling at him more.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2014, 09:57:23 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2014, 09:54:47 AM

That's true, but a lot of that is just from the constant access to Brandon that entails. He's used his position as a Bear as a platform to encourage people to get help for their issues frequently. He admits to lots of mistakes in his past. He's always seemed contrite and open about not being the best person before. I just feel like he's already done everything we'd want these guys to do. He's not innocent of domestic violence. He admits it happened with his wife the night he attacked her and she stabbed him. He also says that's when he realized he needed help and got it without even getting arrested or suspended. Just seems Brandon has "done his time" and I don't see what we gain from yelling at him more.

If only the 2013 Bears defense was as resilient as SKO is in his Marshall defense....

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 19, 2014, 09:57:23 AM

I’m just doubtful you’d be so eager to defend Marshall above Rice and Peterson if he weren’t on your favorite team.

If only the 2013 Bears defense was as resilient as SKO is in his Marshall defense....

I don't know. That press conference was bizarre. I wish he hadn't done it. I can understand that he feels since he was found innocent and had put it behind him that he was angry it was brought back up and the presumption of guilt was placed right back upon him. Maybe he actually did do it and there's no  basis to the extortion argument. I don't know. I just don't see what demand there is to put on him at this time. He's served the suspension, gotten the therapy, donated to charity, etc. Is the argument just that we stop liking him now, I guess?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2014, 10:25:14 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2014, 09:59:58 AM

I don't know. That press conference was bizarre. I wish he hadn't done it. I can understand that he feels since he was found innocent and had put it behind him that he was angry it was brought back up and the presumption of guilt was placed right back upon him. Maybe he actually did do it and there's no  basis to the extortion argument. I don't know. I just don't see what demand there is to put on him at this time. He's served the suspension, gotten the therapy, donated to charity, etc. Is the argument just that we stop liking him now, I guess?

I'd like to hear Marshall spend a little more time defending Goodell and talking about how some men are really vulnerable to being accused of domestic violence by women. 

That seemed to really help dispel the notion that these guys are psychotic people-beaters.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2014, 10:28:54 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 19, 2014, 10:25:14 AM

I'd like to hear Marshall spend a little more time defending Goodell and talking about how some men are really vulnerable to being accused of domestic violence by women. 

That seemed to really help dispel the notion that these guys are psychotic people-beaters.

Okay. So we're just mad at him for saying stupid shit. That works for me.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2014, 10:32:35 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2014, 10:28:54 AM

I have no idea what you're getting out of working this hard to defend a wife-beater who's been arrested 5 times. 

I get the guy has worked hard to rehabilitate. 100% understand that.  Good for him.

I still wouldn't waste 3 breaths actually coming to his defense in anything other than a "I'm doing this for internet entertainment" manner. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 19, 2014, 10:32:35 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2014, 10:28:54 AM

I’m just doubtful you’d be so eager to defend Marshall above Rice and Peterson if he weren’t on your favorite team.

I have no idea what you're getting out of working this hard to defend a wife-beater who's been arrested 5 times. 

I get the guy has worked hard to rehabilitate. 100% understand that.  Good for him.

I still wouldn't waste 3 breaths actually coming to his defense in anything other than a "I'm doing this for internet entertainment" manner. 

You're right. I just think there's something to be said for Brandon having gotten help and staying out of trouble the last few years. If we want to criticize him for saying stupid shit and making himself look like a giant ass, cool. I just don't think he's the guy he used to be, and that guy definitely was a terrible person. If he gets arrested again and proves it was all some big, impressive, three year long PR stunt, well, then fuck him.