News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kyle Hendricks Low Velocity Assassin Splooge Thread  ( 51,486 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kyle Hendricks Low Velocity Assassin Splooge Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2015, 12:01:06 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 06, 2015, 09:16:00 AM
Quote from: R-V on July 06, 2015, 09:09:19 AM
Over the last calendar year:

29 starts
About 6 IP/start
3.19 ERA
3.37 FIP

I'm guessing there are quite a few teams who would take this guy as a #4 starter and just about any team would take him as a #5. He'll likely never be more than a back end guy but if he can give you 180-190 innings a year, it's valuable.

Yeah I think this is just it. He is what he is and it's what we all say we want him to be (a decent #4). Then we forget all about it and bitch when he gets shelled because we're all idiots, but really every back end starter in baseball gets shelled every now and then and it ain't pretty when it happens. He's not gonna be in a postseason rotation but he's better than Jason Marquis.

But god knows there are some amazing backup catchers out there.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 06, 2015, 12:01:06 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 06, 2015, 09:16:00 AM
Quote from: R-V on July 06, 2015, 09:09:19 AM
Over the last calendar year:

29 starts
About 6 IP/start
3.19 ERA
3.37 FIP

I'm guessing there are quite a few teams who would take this guy as a #4 starter and just about any team would take him as a #5. He'll likely never be more than a back end guy but if he can give you 180-190 innings a year, it's valuable.

Yeah I think this is just it. He is what he is and it's what we all say we want him to be (a decent #4). Then we forget all about it and bitch when he gets shelled because we're all idiots, but really every back end starter in baseball gets shelled every now and then and it ain't pretty when it happens. He's not gonna be in a postseason rotation but he's better than Jason Marquis.

But god knows there are some amazing backup catchers out there.

Not too many, but I'd like that guy out in Arizona that's got a .911 OPS over the last month and is hitting lefties to the tune of an .807 OPS this season as a platoon partner for Montero. Wonder where you get a guy like that.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2015, 12:58:03 PM »
I feel kinda bad no one said anything about him throwing 22 scoreless innings or whatever, so, yay Kyle.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2015, 01:00:57 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 20, 2015, 12:58:03 PM
I feel kinda bad no one said anything about him throwing 22 scoreless innings or whatever, so, yay Kyle.

Someone asked me what I think of him the other day and I paused. I think when he's good I'm happy. I just keep waiting for him not to be good. He had a rough stretch this year but pulled himself out of it rather quickly and he's established himself as a nice option late in the rotation. If you asked me about his shelf life I'd have no idea.

If you asked me would I be comfortable with him starting a playoff game I'd still say no way in hell.

It's a weird relationship.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 20, 2015, 01:00:57 PM

Someone asked me what I think of him the other day and I paused. I think when he's good I'm happy. I just keep waiting for him not to be good. He had a rough stretch this year but pulled himself out of it rather quickly and he's established himself as a nice option late in the rotation. If you asked me about his shelf life I'd have no idea.

If you asked me would I be comfortable with him starting a playoff game I'd still say no way in hell.

He can stay the 4th starter until as long as he's basically free or starts being bad, I guess.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2015, 01:14:48 PM »

This is the key for me. By all of the numbers he's a very good #4. Hell, he's a good #3. He's now done it for 30+ starts, with ample time for the league to figure him out, and every time it seems like they might have he bounces back. I believe he is "for real." I just want the Cubs to get a Hamels/Kazmir/Price type because man do I not believe for a second that he could avoid getting slaughtered by that Dodgers lineup in the playoffs.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 20, 2015, 01:14:48 PM

This is the key for me. By all of the numbers he's a very good #4. Hell, he's a good #3. He's now done it for 30+ starts, with ample time for the league to figure him out, and every time it seems like they might have he bounces back. I believe he is "for real." I just want the Cubs to get a Hamels/Kazmir/Price type because man do I not believe for a second that he could avoid getting slaughtered by that Dodgers lineup in the playoffs.

If you take the position that if you're one of the top 30 starters in baseball, you're a #1 starter, he's been a #1 over the last calendar year. Very impressive but I agree he's not a guy you want starting in the playoffs. He'd be a great long man though when the Cubs pound the shit out of Lance Lynn in game 1 of the NLCS and they're able to pull Jake from the game early.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2015, 01:51:34 PM »

If your #5 starter is starting a playoff game, that means you're up 3-1 in the series.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2015, 01:54:44 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 20, 2015, 01:51:34 PM

If your #5 starter is starting a playoff game, that means you're up 3-1 in the series.

Did I misst he Cubs acquiring a new 4th starter?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »

One of these things is not like the others.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2015, 02:08:31 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 20, 2015, 02:02:41 PM

If you're talking about just having one of them to start a playoff game, I don't really think so, not based on what they've done this year. If you're talking about handing over a fat check to one of them to be a Cub after 2015, sure, Kazmir's different.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2015, 02:12:22 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 20, 2015, 02:08:31 PM

If you're talking about just having one of them to start a playoff game, I don't really think so, not based on what they've done this year. If you're talking about handing over a fat check to one of them to be a Cub after 2015, sure, Kazmir's different.

I don't trust Kazmir's outlier of a season at all. I certainly wouldn't trust him in the playoffs. If they get him I'd love to be proven wrong but wouldn't bet on it. He also might be Oakland's Jason Hammel, worth way more to them than anyone else.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2015, 02:22:45 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 20, 2015, 02:12:22 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 20, 2015, 02:08:31 PM

I don't trust Kazmir's outlier of a season at all. I certainly wouldn't trust him in the playoffs. If they get him I'd love to be proven wrong but wouldn't bet on it. He also might be Oakland's Jason Hammel, worth way more to them than anyone else.

He was pretty good last year, too? I don't think he's the same guy he was earlier in his career and he's found a way to be a lot more efficient than he was before all of the injuries. But yeah, sure, Price and Hamels are better pitchers. I just meant I hope the Cubs acquire a starter at the deadline who has better stuff than Kyle and I would trust that guy more to start a playoff game.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2015, 03:24:14 PM »

Does it really make sense for Theo/Jed to boil the ocean this deadline, when this season is supposed to be the prelude to an era? I mean, if a good deal is there, you take it.

But Price has done everything but pitch games wearing a Cubs hat, so they can grab him in the offseason without mortgaging any pieces of the future. For this offseason (if they stay in playoff position), they can roll three starters (which means a deeper bullpen), and see if the bats get hot. The window will be open for years.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 20, 2015, 03:24:14 PM

Does it really make sense for Theo/Jed to boil the ocean this deadline, when this season is supposed to be the prelude to an era? I mean, if a good deal is there, you take it.

But Price has done everything but pitch games wearing a Cubs hat, so they can try to grab him in the offseason without mortgaging any pieces of the future. For this offseason (if they stay in playoff position), they can roll three starters (which means a deeper bullpen), and see if the bats get hot. The window will be open for years.

I have no problem trading for a guy who is either under contract (Hamels) or a guy who agrees to an extension as part of a trade (one of those 72 hour windows). Not interested in an expensive rental.  If you can get an unextended Price for not Schwarber, Baez, Jimenez, fine.