News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion  ( 56,724 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion
« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2014, 11:26:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 03, 2014, 11:21:44 AM
I'm always surprised by the number of people who aren't insane like me who watch the draft on TV, I can't even imagine who would enjoy actually going there to watch some awkward hugs after a guy reads a name off of a card.

Going to the NFL Draft for anything other than Round 1 so absolutely awful.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2014, 11:50:58 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 03, 2014, 11:26:06 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 03, 2014, 11:21:44 AM
I'm always surprised by the number of people who aren't insane like me who watch the draft on TV, I can't even imagine who would enjoy actually going there to watch some awkward hugs after a guy reads a name off of a card.

Going to the NFL Draft for anything other than Round 1 so absolutely awful.

I don't even think going to round 1 sounds remotely appealing. I want highlight reels. I want drama. I want cameras making Brady Quinn sorry he was ever born. I want to laugh at whichever morons are calling Teddy Bridgewater a dual threat. I also want, like, stats and stuff. None of that is available at the draft.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2014, 11:22:31 PM »
Being surrounded by Jets fans when they took Lam Jones instead of Ronnie Lott was the best sports moment I've ever experienced live.

At least until I see the Cubs beat St. Louis in the NLCS.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 03, 2014, 11:22:31 PM
Being surrounded by Jets fans when they took Lam Jones instead of Ronnie Lott was the best sports moment I've ever experienced live.

This is sufficiently enjoyable : http://youtu.be/rZxNeFLuY98
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 04, 2014, 09:40:34 AM
Quote from: Fork on October 03, 2014, 11:22:31 PM

This is sufficiently enjoyable : http://youtu.be/rZxNeFLuY98

Despite Chris Berman doing his best to ruin it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2014, 12:23:41 PM »
Paging Mr. Dave Toub.
Mr. Dave Toub please pick up the white courtesy phone.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2014, 03:13:58 PM »
Forte's fumble was bad....but if the human dumpster fire doesn't let loose that god-awful lazy fucking overthrow on the series before, that sequence of events never gets set in motion.

3 points and a horribly ineffective QB in the 2nd half.  A QB who has only done things when the defense has gift-wrapped him balls in the red zone (or close to).

This team sucks.  This QB sucks.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2014, 08:42:30 AM »
damn it's silent in here,,..

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
I'm beginning to lose my faith in Trestman.  That's two weeks in a row he's gotten completely schooled in the second half of games.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 06, 2014, 08:52:51 AMI'm beginning to lose my faith in Trestman.  That's two weeks in a row he's gotten completely schooled in the second half of games.

Outscored by a combined 34-3 margin. The defense is doing what we'd hoped it would - which is to say it's not a *complete* vortex of suck. So it's maddening to watch an offense with this much talent, and a supposed big sports brain at the helm, shoot itself in the nuts over and over again. They were supposed to be significantly better in year 2 of this system, and they're significantly worse.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2014, 09:54:14 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 06, 2014, 08:52:51 AM
I'm beginning to lose my faith in Trestman.  That's two weeks in a row he's gotten completely schooled in the second half of games.

I feel obligated to care because I've got tickets to three more games this year. I honestly think that things are not that far gone that a turnaround is out of the question. I think injuries on the offensive line and receiving corp have been extremely detrimental to this team's chances to come from behind. Once opponents figure out what the Bears can and can't block they've gotten pressure on Cutler and he's done the Jay Cutler things he's always done to capsize the team. He can afford it even less than ever these days because the defense and special teams simply can't bail them out anymore. It's almost a stunning turn of events when the defense gets off the field after anything other than an abject fuck up by an even more hapless opponent like the Jets.

So the offense has to get a lot better and I honestly think that it will. The special teams can't stay this bad and the injuries to that unit have been devastating as well. I'm not saying that the Bears are a good football team that has been undone by injuries so wait'll they get healthy and watch them go. I'm saying they're good enough to be in every single game - including Green Bay until late - and that the improvement needed to get over the hump in these games is not impossible to see from here.

And I wish I didn't have to care. I know, technically, I could sell the tickets and stop caring altogether but that takes effort and it would be the first time I've ever done it so it would feel extremely shitty to admit defeat like that. I don't want to go there. I want to go to Bears games in cold weather and root for a team in playoff contention like I always do.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2014, 11:51:50 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 06, 2014, 09:54:14 AM
I'm beginning to lose my faith in Trestman.  That's two weeks in a row he's gotten completely schooled in the second half of games.

I feel obligated to care because I've got tickets to three more games this year. I honestly think that things are not that far gone that a turnaround is out of the question. I think injuries on the offensive line and receiving corp have been extremely detrimental to this team's chances to come from behind. Once opponents figure out what the Bears can and can't block they've gotten pressure on Cutler and he's done the Jay Cutler things he's always done to capsize the team. He can afford it even less than ever these days because the defense and special teams simply can't bail them out anymore. It's almost a stunning turn of events when the defense gets off the field after anything other than an abject fuck up by an even more hapless opponent like the Jets.

So the offense has to get a lot better and I honestly think that it will. The special teams can't stay this bad and the injuries to that unit have been devastating as well. I'm not saying that the Bears are a good football team that has been undone by injuries so wait'll they get healthy and watch them go. I'm saying they're good enough to be in every single game - including Green Bay until late - and that the improvement needed to get over the hump in these games is not impossible to see from here.

And I wish I didn't have to care. I know, technically, I could sell the tickets and stop caring altogether but that takes effort and it would be the first time I've ever done it so it would feel extremely shitty to admit defeat like that. I don't want to go there. I want to go to Bears games in cold weather and root for a team in playoff contention like I always do.

Yeah but that's the 8-8ers lament. Of course the Bears aren't bad in an absolute sense. There's more than enough talent. So you'll spend all year waiting for the run that never comes because they're just so close dammit. They've shown no ability to put it all together and haven't earned the benefit of the doubt.  I'm done believing without proof.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2014, 11:58:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 06, 2014, 11:51:50 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on October 06, 2014, 09:54:14 AM

Yeah but that's the 8-8ers lament. Of course the Bears aren't bad in an absolute sense. There's more than enough talent. So you'll spend all year waiting for the run that never comes because they're just so close dammit. They've shown no ability to put it all together and haven't earned the benefit of the doubt.  I'm done believing without proof.

So do you want to go to a game or what?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »
I'm done believing without proof.

What do you think the next 3-4 years should look like? Do they give this group another go or two, or should they start re-building (though I know teams don't really tear down and rebuild in the NFL)?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2014, 12:12:11 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 06, 2014, 12:00:10 PM
I'm done believing without proof.

What do you think the next 3-4 years should look like? Do they give this group another go or two, or should they start re-building (though I know teams don't really tear down and rebuild in the NFL)?

Barring a 4-12 disaster that spurs a major house cleaning I see them sticking with the same core and adding to it with another free agency and draft focused on rebuilding the defense. Which Emery is actually not sucking at. The veterans were the failures yesterday. Ego and Fuller look great, Bostic is a competent linebacker whose absence really hurt vs. The run.

If they fail again next year Forte's deal is done, Jay can be cut, Marshall, etc. 2016 will be the rebuild year.