News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion  ( 56,764 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion
« Reply #270 on: November 10, 2014, 08:47:46 AM »
This Bears team is so bad that even Hub Arkush overestimated their competence.

Slaky, after the shitshows put on display by Mike Olt and the Bears I'd kindly request that you stop posting negative predictions related to Chicago sports teams.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #271 on: November 10, 2014, 09:39:27 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on November 10, 2014, 07:17:58 AM
Quote from: flannj on November 09, 2014, 10:28:49 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 09, 2014, 10:04:16 PM
CFiHP posting about the Bears here on his birthday is probably the saddest thing I've ever seen.

I drove to a wake in Orland Park today.
It was for someone that I have known since I was a teenager. Great guy a real character.
He was also the brother of a guy that I have worked with (and stood next to every day) for more than 25 years.

The guy I worked with? It was the second brother he has lost in the last 5 months. His wife tore her ACL while dancing 2 months ago and was still wearing the knee brace when I hugged her at the wake. Oh and get this, I was forced to fire him back in June after he had been with the firm for 32 years.

There was an overturned semi on the 290 / 294 interchange.
Two and a half hours to get there, two hours visiting, and an hour and a half to get back home.

Lots of tears and emotional moments.

I don't really care that much about the Bears or the rest of this shit right now.

And just like CT I might be a little drunk as well.

That's brutal, man. Sorry for all of this.

What's the big deal?  Is everyone forgetting that we are Cub fans?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #272 on: November 10, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »
So, how does this thing get rebuilt, besides hoping the next Aaron Rodgers somehow falls into the Bears' lap?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #273 on: November 10, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 10, 2014, 11:22:16 AM
So, how does this thing get rebuilt, besides hoping the next Aaron Rodgers somehow falls into the Bears' lap?

My guess is that it doesn't. Someone Tweeted last night that the Bears are in the "Dollar Bill is Still Alive Phase." And there is no Rocky Wirtz in the wings to move them into the next century once the current crop of McCaskey's kicks it.

That's oversimplifying obviously. But I don't see anyway out of the wilderness. They might lose all the rest of their games, get a top 3 pick and blow it on some turd who can't play.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #274 on: November 10, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on November 10, 2014, 11:33:37 AM

My guess is that it doesn't. Someone Tweeted last night that the Bears are in the "Dollar Bill is Still Alive Phase." And there is no Rocky Wirtz in the wings to move them into the next century once the current crop of McCaskey's kicks it.

That's oversimplifying obviously. But I don't see anyway out of the wilderness. They might lose all the rest of their games, get a top 3 pick and blow it on some turd who can't play.

That's what sucks the worst about this - I have no confidence that the Mickey Doyle of Halas Hall, Ted Phillips, would make a good GM hire even if they completely cleaned house from Emery on down. I know it's not the most important thing, but I'm going to go ahead and assume the McCaskeys are completely incompetent until they can get some goddamn motherfucking Field Turf installed. Until they can accomplish that simple task I see no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #275 on: November 10, 2014, 11:55:11 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 10, 2014, 11:46:05 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on November 10, 2014, 11:33:37 AM

That's what sucks the worst about this - I have no confidence that the Mickey Doyle of Halas Hall, Ted Phillips, would make a good GM hire even if they completely cleaned house from Emery on down. I know it's not the most important thing, but I'm going to go ahead and assume the McCaskeys are completely incompetent until they can get some goddamn motherfucking Field Turf installed. Until they can accomplish that simple task I see no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

New field = playoff bound

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #276 on: November 10, 2014, 01:27:41 PM »

I don't know how you rebuild without being able to figure out exactly what the hell is wrong. I mean the defense is a tire fire, that parts easy. But the offense...

1) Is Jay the problem? Like I said, he's definitely part of the problem, but, shit, it's not like we haven't seen him play way better than this in this very offense even, before. His just sudden lack of any production despite no seeming lack of physical ability is odd as hell. Given his contract you probably can't get rid of him yet but shit how do you feel any confidence he might rebound next year?

2)Is Marshall done? Is he just hurt? Is him being hurt why he can't get open? is him not getting open affecting Jay and Alshon? Can he get better next year and thus make the guys around him better?

3)Is Alshon the guy from 2013 or the guy from 2012 and 2014 with frequent dropsies who gets a lot of nagging injuries and just disappears sometimes? Can you build around him?

4)Is Marty worth putting up with anymore?

5)How much longer till Forte's just dead?

I just don't know how you completely rebuild from the ground up given their contract situation, but no one seems to be part of the core they can count on going forward. I mean Alshon's eligible for an extension this offseason. Do you pay him?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #277 on: November 10, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »
Umm y'all should read Tim Baffoe's timeline (can't link from my work computer and my phone won't load desipio) as he re-wrote the Simpsons mono-rail song about Trestman.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #278 on: November 10, 2014, 03:56:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 10, 2014, 01:27:41 PM

I don't know how you rebuild without being able to figure out exactly what the hell is wrong. I mean the defense is a tire fire, that parts easy. But the offense...

1) Is Jay the problem? Like I said, he's definitely part of the problem, but, shit, it's not like we haven't seen him play way better than this in this very offense even, before. His just sudden lack of any production despite no seeming lack of physical ability is odd as hell. Given his contract you probably can't get rid of him yet but shit how do you feel any confidence he might rebound next year?

2)Is Marshall done? Is he just hurt? Is him being hurt why he can't get open? is him not getting open affecting Jay and Alshon? Can he get better next year and thus make the guys around him better?

3)Is Alshon the guy from 2013 or the guy from 2012 and 2014 with frequent dropsies who gets a lot of nagging injuries and just disappears sometimes? Can you build around him?

I just don't know how you completely rebuild from the ground up given their contract situation, but no one seems to be part of the core they can count on going forward. I mean Alshon's eligible for an extension this offseason. Do you pay him?

This isn't depressing. Once the new GM addresses all 5 items above, he can start on the disaster that is defense and special teams.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #279 on: November 10, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 10, 2014, 03:54:52 PM
Umm y'all should read Tim Baffoe's timeline (can't link from my work computer and my phone won't load desipio) as he re-wrote the Simpsons mono-rail song about Trestman.

I unfollowed the dude after he just started shilling posts from whatever The Cauldron is, but that was pretty amazing.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #280 on: November 10, 2014, 03:58:15 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 10, 2014, 03:57:10 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 10, 2014, 03:54:52 PM

I unfollowed the dude after he just started shilling posts from whatever The Cauldron is, but that was pretty amazing.

Pretty sure that idiot's still off defending Jay Cutler like some kind of loon.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #281 on: November 10, 2014, 04:44:13 PM »
Quote from: BH on November 10, 2014, 03:56:56 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 10, 2014, 01:27:41 PM

This isn't depressing. Once the new GM addresses all 5 items above, he can start on the disaster that is defense and special teams.

This list is pointless as it includes nothing about Field Turf.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #282 on: November 10, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 10, 2014, 11:46:05 AM
I have no confidence that the Mickey Doyle of Halas Hall, Ted Phillips, would make a good GM hire even if they completely cleaned house from Emery on down.

This may be the best thing ever written on this site.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #283 on: November 10, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 10, 2014, 09:39:27 AM
CFiHP posting about the Bears here on his birthday is probably the saddest thing I've ever seen.

It was for someone that I have known since I was a teenager. Great guy a real character.
He was also the brother of a guy that I have worked with (and stood next to every day) for more than 25 years.

The guy I worked with? It was the second brother he has lost in the last 5 months. His wife tore her ACL while dancing 2 months ago and was still wearing the knee brace when I hugged her at the wake. Oh and get this, I was forced to fire him back in June after he had been with the firm for 32 years.

Two and a half hours to get there, two hours visiting, and an hour and a half to get back home.

I don't really care that much about the Bears or the rest of this shit right now.

What's the big deal?  Is everyone forgetting that we are Cub fans?

You're right Stew.
I just spent the day taking my daughter to get her visa for her upcoming semester in Italy and then we had an unbelievable lunch at The Purple Pig.
Talked and walked for hours and had another "best day ever".
In addition to that, reading about all of you youngsters reminiscing about child birth helped to remind me that good stuff can follow a crappy day.

Also, thanks Pex.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #284 on: November 11, 2014, 09:21:54 AM »
Quote from: flannj on November 10, 2014, 08:54:43 PM
Quote from: CBStew on November 10, 2014, 09:39:27 AM

What's the big deal?  Is everyone forgetting that we are Cub fans?

You're right Stew.
I just spent the day taking my daughter to get her visa for her upcoming semester in Italy and then we had an unbelievable lunch at The Purple Pig.
Talked and walked for hours and had another "best day ever".
In addition to that, reading about all of you youngsters reminiscing about child birth helped to remind me that good stuff can follow a crappy day.

Also, thanks Pex.

Add my sympathies.

But at the end of the day, while we have a good time in this fringe messageboard, the fact is that things like sports and TV are meant to be diversions to allow us to disengage from the shitty things that clobber us in the real world. And even when the Cubs, Bears or whoever are at their shittiest, the one thing that makes it great is that it's something we can all share. But we do find ourselves getting invested in the thing, regardless of the fact that we have no control over the outcome. But in its perverse way, it's fun to have this thing that can eat away at our stomach linings. And there's still nothing like a Cub game on a sunny afternoon when no matter how bad the Cubs are, the sides start out 0-0 and anything can happen.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16